R.Melnyk77

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Let's say my bankroll is $100.
I play on average 4-5 days a week. I only play in tournaments. I plan to spend no more than 3-5 dollars per day. For example, I'll play three or five $1 buy-in tournaments.
So, what is your opinion about this calculation, what advantages and disadvantages do you see?
I look forward to discussing this important topic.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
First: The 100 buy-ins rule is a perfect way to build your bankroll, you do not invest more then 1% of your bankroll in one tournament, that will help you long term.
Second: Playing only $1 buy-ins makes you play in your comfort zone, which means that you don't think what will happen if you do not cash in that tournament. That makes your game stronger.
3rd: It might take you some time to move up in stakes, but when you do you probably will beat the $1 limit.
4th: Playing with a good bankroll management is key to succeed in poker and not go "bankrupt". (In my challenge I use a more strict bankroll management then 100 buy-ins, but that is my case )
5th: Even if you win a $1 MTT and for the sake off it let's say you win >$100 you should not move up the stakes immediately. (I did that in the past 4-5 years ago and I lost it all.....again that is my case. )

I'm curios what other members think about this topic, it's really interesting. (y)

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
BRM is always an interesting discussion. For me, your personal circumstances and the type of poker player you are play a major factor in the thought process. Here are my simplified thoughts on approximately how many buy-ins each type of player. Of course some players may fit into more than one category, or may be more risk taking / risk averse, but I think these (broad stroke) categories act as a pretty good guide:

The Casual Player:
They have some spare cash and are happy to throw it on a poker site whenever they fancy a gamble. They can reload basically whenever they feel like it. BRM required: 1-5 buy-ins.

The Enthusiast:
They take the game fairly seriously, but poker is still very much a hobby. They try to make their deposits go as far as they can, but can reload from real life funds if needed. BRM required: 25-50 buy-ins.

The Aspiring Reg:
The guys that dream of making it. They still have a full time job and solid income with poker as a small side hustle. They want to build their bankroll and progress in stakes so that small side hustle turns into a genuine income stream. BRM required: 75-150 buy-ins

The Reg:
They are a solid winning player making fairly consistent money from poker. They still have a "normal" job, but maybe not full time so that they can focus more time on playing poker. They rely somewhat on their poker income, so they must limit their risk of ruin as much as they can. BRM required: 150-250 buy-ins

The Pro:
Their sole income comes from poker. The pay their mortgage and bills and feed their family from what they win at the tables. Going broke for them is not an option so their BRM much be the strictest of all. BRM required: absolute minimum 300 buy-ins.

The Loser:
It really doesn't matter how good you are at BRM, if you're a losing player you will never have enough buy-ins. BRM required:🏧

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Loser:
It really doesn't matter how good you are at BRM, if you're a losing player you will never have enough buy-ins. BRM required:🏧
Or maybe to be more constructive a poker budget, which of course must be in line with their general financial situation. On regulated sites you can generally set deposit limits. For instance if you decide on a monthly budget of $50, then you set the monthly deposit limit for that. And if you run out of funds, you need to wait for the next payroll, before you can play again.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Or maybe to be more constructive a poker budget, which of course must be in line with their general financial situation. On regulated sites you can generally set deposit limits. For instance if you decide on a monthly budget of $50, then you set the monthly deposit limit for that. And if you run out of funds, you need to wait for the next payroll, before you can play again.
Yes, the loser bit was kind of tongue in cheek close to my post. Really they are most likely a casual player or mix of casual and aspiring reg, in which case re-loading is just fine, so long as it is within the realms of affordability.

Well, i'm here - actually I've always been here... wow, man, that looks hopeless...
It's certainly not hopeless at all. My point here really is that if you are a losing player at the moment, BRM should not be your focus. Experience and study is important. I probably lost somewhere in the region of my first $500-$1,000 playing $1 9 handed SnG's when I first started playing online. Now I am a winning player. It took a long time, but it's certainly not impossible :)

Mantinhoo

Mantinhoo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LT
Chips
100$ bankroll is not su big, so try to play small tournaments, because that money can quickly evaporate like cigarette smoke..
As colleague above wrote, try to play 1$ MTT, well sometimes 2.20$. Then you will be sure that in the event of defeat, the world will not collapse, and there will be defeats. If there is a feeling of fear that in case of defeat you will no longer have anything, then this will affect your psychology and it will become more difficult to play.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management