Bad Beats

LeonardBuda

LeonardBuda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Guys

Is losing to bad beats really ok? Is it a sign that you're playing well but they get lucky? I mostly bust out via bad beats, normally on the river and I sometimes wonder if I should have played differently but you can't always wait for the nuts and you can't fold when villain shoves and you know you're ahead. Should I cut myself some slack and be "proud" that I'm playing solid poker even if I bust?

M

melbru88888

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
so as long i get in as the favourite i m cool with that bad beat is a path of the game so take it easy

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Bad beats are extremely important to the poker ecosystem. Without them, weak players would be much less likely to dare to challenge strong players. The luck factor is exactly what keeps many players in poker, making them come back again and again. In fact, the concept of a "bad beat" misleads people. In the vast majority of all-ins before the river, all players will have at least some equity in the pot. This means that, technically, losing the entire pot will be a bad beat even for the underdog, and not just for the favorite, since he will lose more than he was supposed to by his equity. As you understand, there is nothing in bad beats good or bad, in terms of "extra" gains or losses. But there is one huge plus in their other aspect - this is the creation of an illusion for weak players (fish).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should I cut myself some slack and be "proud" that I'm playing solid poker even if I bust?

If you actually do play solid poker then yes. The whole idea of a tournament is to bust everyone except the winner. So if for instance 500 people play, 499 will bust sooner or later. Sure some like maybe 70 will "be in the money", when they bust, but most prices are still way smaller than, what the winner recieves. So if you hate "losing", maybe you are better off playing cash games or SnGs rather than large MTTs. Finally winning pots without showdown is a big part of winning poker. So if you never jam a hand like KJs preflop and get busted by someone, who had you dominated with AK, then you are playing to tight and/or passive.

M

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Sometimes it happens to me that I start winning a hand and on the river I lose, well I have several days in a row that this is happening to me and a lot, I have tried to change the way I play a little and many times it does not work and I simply stop playing for a few days, I think that each player has his way of dealing with this type of situation, personally I stop playing for a few days or I only play free tournaments

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Just play your game, as better as you can and be patient, don't chase your loses!

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I know this is a tired old phrase, but we do also remember the bad beats more that the times we sucked out on someone.

For example today I was 2nd in the CC $100 on stars. My AA lost to 97o, they flopped 2 pair, we both slow played, I was hoping they would hit a card on turn, little did I know, :rolleyes:haha. Anyway I was like a 250/1 chip dog after that hand so it was basically for the win.

Bad beat right, but then seeing your post reminded me, I spiked quad 5's to beat AA and JJ I think it was in the CC $300 game earlier too. I got lucky, I forgot, but I def remember losing with AA, heads up for the tourney win!

You have to try and earn enough chips so the bad beats don't cripple you, and you can only do this by sometimes getting it in behind, and either losing or getting lucky, and then capitalising on your good fortune with a deep run.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad beats will always exist in poker, no matter how good player you are. My advice to you is just to accept and keep making the right decisions.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just a thought, if bad beats are fresh in your mind and you seem to be experiencing them way to often, ask yourself if your playing way to tight.

Hopefully no explanation needed, but if so please ask.

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
There's a rumor going around that you will lose a 95%/5% hand about 1 time in 20. Even worse, you will lose a 2% runner runner hand about 1 time in 50! Can you believe it?!?

Because math.

M

M13A13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unfortunately, we have to go through momentary situations, but persistence helps to overcome the difficult moment, the secret is to persist, and always trust, that the difficult moment will pass.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi Guys

Is losing to bad beats really ok? Is it a sign that you're playing well but they get lucky? I mostly bust out via bad beats, normally on the river and I sometimes wonder if I should have played differently but you can't always wait for the nuts and you can't fold when villain shoves and you know you're ahead. Should I cut myself some slack and be "proud" that I'm playing solid poker even if I bust?
It's my friend, get used to it, poker is like that, bad beats always happen, and usually it happens close to the bubble, I'm used to it, it's not even worth being on tilt, the thing is to have patience. Good luck at the tables.(s)

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Bad beats always happen. I suggest you do the following: also pay attention to the bad beats where you win and the villain loses.
Also note that the villain also has two cards. And if he didn't let them go it's because they have value too. Mainly post flop.
Poker is about taking risks. But you must have control over the risks you take as much as possible. The bad beats will keep coming. They are inevitable. The frequency and size of the damage they do is what you can control.