**Awkwardly Assinine April Tournament Chat Thread**

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash Rules Everything Around Here, it seems --

Does seem that way sometimes..... I don't have huge amounts of time to play, but in the interests of actually getting/keeping some kind of tournament monthly thread running my goals for this month are....

[ ] 300 ST SnG's (non-turbo)
[ ] Profit (Something....anything.... Been barely above break-even the last 2 months)
[ ] Figure-out how to make HM1 accurately track my tournaments, or, failing that switch to PT3
[ ] Get and read the Moshman book on SnG's (can't remember the title right now, but it's the one everyone recommends).

So, those are my massive goals for this month. Hey, I'm startin' small.

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does seem that way sometimes..... I don't have huge amounts of time to play, but in the interests of actually getting/keeping some kind of tournament monthly thread running my goals for this month are....

[ ] Profit (Something....anything.... Been barely above break-even the last 2 months)
[ ] Figure-out how to make HM1 accurately track my tournaments, or, failing that switch to PT3
[ ] Get and read the Moshman book on SnG's (can't remember the title right now, but it's the one everyone recommends).

sounds achievable, good luck mate, i use hm2 never had any issues with it

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The nits choice of game I see ;)

Do you mean the HU book by Moshman?

Peopele should post hands in this thread to keep it going imo. I'll post a HU one to start, villian is now the propertier of my soul:

I was close to shoving river but I looked stronger betting what I did as it looked way more valuey than i shove which completely polarises me, here my value range is still pretty wide and villian would shove anything he slowplayed so I went for t105.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 3.5 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (2 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

Hero (BB) (t385)
SB (t615)

Hero's M: 12.83

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6
spade.gif
, K
club.gif

SB bets t40, Hero calls t20

Flop: (t80) Q
heart.gif
, 10
club.gif
, 7
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, SB checks

Turn: (t80) Q
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t50, SB calls t50

River: (t180) 5
heart.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t105, SB calls t105

Total pot: t390

Results:
SB had A
heart.gif
, 6
club.gif
(one pair, Queens).
Hero had 6
spade.gif
, K
club.gif
(one pair, Queens).
Outcome: SB won t390

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My goals for this month:
1. Really really really try to stay away from Turbos
2. Continue to follow Jennifear's BRM system, and cash out $400

Well, just over 10% into the month, and I've been all over the turbos (nice discipline, huh) and cashed out just under $30 -- so not quite on pace yet. Figure the turbos should help me get a little more volume in and make the goal, as long as I win enough to maintain the current level (I'm playing 2-table SnGs now, 5 or 6 at a time).

Maybe I can bang out a good run and get some Battle of the Planets $$... :)

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The nits choice of game I see ;)

Do you mean the HU book by Moshman?

Actually, the nits game of choice would be DoN's which is where I'm coming from, and may be where I end up back at if I don't start seeing some profit at standard SnG's. The one's I'm referring to in my goals are the $2.20, 9-man, bounties on Carbon. Started pretty well the first month or so after the switch from DoN's, barely above BE since then, although, to be fair, not much volume in that time either.

As for the Moshman book, the one I'm thinking-of is just for standard SnG's, not HU. I'm sure I'll find it with a quick search of Amazon.

About your hand.... I've absolutely no idea..... I've played exactly zero HU SnG's in my life. I've actually never even played a hyper format in any SnG. Polar opposite of where I'm coming from.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, just over 10% into the month, and I've been all over the turbos (nice discipline, huh) and cashed out just under $30 -- so not quite on pace yet. Figure the turbos should help me get a little more volume in and make the goal, as long as I win enough to maintain the current level (I'm playing 2-table SnGs now, 5 or 6 at a time).

Maybe I can bang out a good run and get some Battle of the Planets $$... :)

What stakes do you play at?

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, the nits game of choice would be DoN's which is where I'm coming from, and may be where I end up back at if I don't start seeing some profit at standard SnG's. The one's I'm referring to in my goals are the $2.20, 9-man, bounties on Carbon. Started pretty well the first month or so after the switch from DoN's, barely above BE since then, although, to be fair, not much volume in that time either.

As for the Moshman book, the one I'm thinking-of is just for standard SnG's, not HU. I'm sure I'll find it with a quick search of Amazon.

About your hand.... I've absolutely no idea..... I've played exactly zero HU SnG's in my life. I've actually never even played a hyper format in any SnG. Polar opposite of where I'm coming from.

You should try them, hypers are fun. They take you to manic depression to where you think you're the best player in the world in the space of a few hundred games. I was oj with the nits game of choice comment btw.

I think playing HU gives you great experience for pawning people at the end of a standard SnG and can add a decent amount to your ROI. When i play 6-max hypers and get HU against a winning player unless they've played HU you can see so many leaks in their play it's unreal. Stuff like not jamming 22-44 for <25bb is a pretty common leak where people just call rather than shove. Also people raised 3xbb with 15bb stacks, the play is just retarded.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds achievable, good luck mate, i use hm2 never had any issues with it

I've used HM1 for awhile now, but I was always a cash player until about December last year. Then I switched to tournies. I think the problem is that I play Bounty SnG's and HM1 doesn't track the bounties at all. In the format I play 50% of the prize-pool goes to bounties, so with those excluded my stats/graphs look terrible.

I don't know if it's possible to set HM1 up to recognize the format, or not, hence the goal for the month. Without tracking things properly I have to resort to sharkscope for my graphs. Which is fine, but doesn't provide the opportunity for analysis that HM1 would if it can be made to function properly in the Bounty format.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've used HM1 for awhile now, but I was always a cash player until about December last year. Then I switched to tournies. I think the problem is that I play Bounty SnG's and HM1 doesn't track the bounties at all. In the format I play 50% of the prize-pool goes to bounties, so with those excluded my stats/graphs look terrible.

I don't know if it's possible to set HM1 up to recognize the format, or not, hence the goal for the month. Without tracking things properly I have to resort to SharkScope for my graphs. Which is fine, but doesn't provide the opportunity for analysis that HM1 would if it can be made to function properly in the Bounty format.

not sure what to do bout it, but similiar thing happens on PT3 with satties

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What stakes do you play at?

I've got one more $15 18-seater in the chamber -- if no cash there, I'm gonna have to drop down to $7s. I only cash out $0.28 on a $7, compared to $0.60 per $15, so that will set back my months goal a bit...

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I don't know if it's possible to set HM1 up to recognize the format, or not, hence the goal for the month. Without tracking things properly I have to resort to SharkScope for my graphs. Which is fine, but doesn't provide the opportunity for analysis that HM1 would if it can be made to function properly in the Bounty format.

you can manually change tournament results in HM2 (not sure if you can do it in HM1), so you could just add the KO bonus to each result perhaps

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll be back in here as soon as stars puts zoom tournaments on. GL all.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can manually change tournament results in HM2 (not sure if you can do it in HM1), so you could just add the KO bonus to each result perhaps

I thought about that, but the thought of manually going back and adding-in all the Bounty amounts from each tournament, especially when talking hundreds or thousands of tournaments, seems such a PITA. Especially since I'd also need to monitor how many Bounties I collect on any given tournament/day/session, whatever. Currently I don't track this at all, and I don't know of any easy way to do so.

I'm in the US, and consequently on Carbon. I can, more or less, track bounties from their account admin page, but its really pretty-much a mess. Everything is listed just chronologically, and isn't sortable in any fashion. Also, every fee/payout is separate (e.g. for 1 SnG, there is an entry for the entry price, another entry for the fee, an entry for each individual bounty taken, if any, and an entry for the ITM payout, if any). Add all this together for a large number of SnGs, and it quickly becomes a mess.

I'm still working on finding a solution for this, but so far I haven't had much success. I plan on downloading the free trial of PT3 to see if it can handle the bounty format, but aggording to Duggs, it may have similar issues.

As it stands now, I'm really just using HM1 for the HUD. I can use SharkScope to find my true ROI and such, but can't do any meaningful analysis of my game. Which brings me to another question.... Why can SharkScope handle the bounty format with no apparent problems, but HM can't? AAAARRRGGGHHHH......

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Got a new place and lots of time to focus on something...obv poker. I'll be in here a lot more now and hopefully can get back to the old me. Well, if they ever get a good website with traffic.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good to see you back KC. I've read alot of your posts and they have been very helpful. Thank you.

Where you planning on playin? Carbon? Cake? I know there aren't too many choices for you guys right now but at least you have some, right?

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right now I have bankrolls on Carbon, Cake, and America's Card Room. As of late I've only been min cashing. I really want to get back in the zone that I was in before, but I can tell my game has suffered by not playing as many tournaments as I used too. Hopefully I can talk some good strategy in here and make a turn around!

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this sucked lol

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 100/200 Blinds (3 handed) - Hold'em Manager Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com
BB (t5353)
Button (t954)
Hero (SB) (t2693)
Hero's M: 8.98
Preflop: Hero is SB with Q
diamond.gif
, A
spade.gif

1 fold, Hero bets t500, BB calls t400
Flop: (t1200) A
club.gif
, Q
spade.gif
, 7
heart.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets t400, Hero raises t2093 (All-In), BB calls t1693
Turn: (t5386) A
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
River: (t5386) Q
club.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)
Total pot: t5386
Results:
Hero had Q
diamond.gif
, A
spade.gif
(full house, Aces over Queens).
BB had A
heart.gif
, 8
spade.gif
(full house, Aces over Queens).
Outcome: Hero won t2693

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ouch that does suck, when FHs get nullified by a shared FH. But always better to get a suckout that turns into a tie than a loss. Anyway, just to keep this going, here are a few of my goals:

- Grow my bankroll (okay, duh)
- Play 50 MTTs at the very least (this isn't huge, but would be good volume for me)
- Make an MTT final table (1st place??)

The last one is rather ambitious, since I mostly play $1.10 donkaments on Lock, but I have made a couple final tables in the past. Less tangible goals include learning more MTT strategy and just becoming a more solid and consistent MTT player. :eek:

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sup my people

Hey, great to hear from you, KC! I'm sure you're ready to get down to playing; but, as your "Official" strategy post has become fairly legendary around here, was wondering if much has changed in these past few years -- either with the strategy itself, your own ideas, or the general tourney landscape...

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depressing month so far, need to win about $500 before I can even move up. Anyone else reg in any hyper games?

Shufflin

Shufflin

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still early Blue -- you'll be ok.

The hypers tempt me once in a while -- I'll usually win the first one, then lose 20, and half an hour later wonder what happened to my BR :)

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol they are absolutely brutal on your BR at times (50BI down in 150 matches, fml), then again if you're a winning player the upswings will be better than the downswings. Sickest thing is that I've played 800 of them over last month or so and I'm not even close to being able to estimate my ROI.