on average, how many bad beats do you get per tournament?

N

natanpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It's stressful to get a bad beat all the time and I've noticed that this happens a lot, I wanted to know, how many happen to you usually?

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It's stressful to get a bad beat all the time and I've noticed that this happens a lot, I wanted to know, how many happen to you usually?

Many days none or 1 or 2. If your getting them all the time it may not really be a bad beat. The question is what you maybe defining as a bad beat. I have see players call 88 vs Ajo a bad beat. AQ vs KJ as a bad beat/ A9 vs A7 as a bad beat.. Yes there unlucky loses but are they bad beats? When all in proflop the 88 is favorite to win about 55% of the time, the AJ is about 60% and the AK is favorite about 65%. Or it was a bad beat when my top pair lost to his flush draw. A bad beat is when you have a hand so strong you will win way more often than lose. This is from professionals like Jonathan little and Danial Negranue have said.

Whats is a bad beat. Well you pocket queens getting beat by pocket 3's all in preflop. you were favorite with 82% equity. That's a bad beat. Flop set and they river the biger set. That is a bad beat. Flop 2 pair with A9 and they have just QJ and the turn is a Q and river a another Q that is a bad beat.

Lets now take some of the harder beats and look at them. Ako vs AQs, KQo vs QTs or similar hands Yes you AKo and KQ. are dominating them but they only win 70% of the time. So if you have a hand like this you will lose 3 times out of 10. We may see this happen 10 times when we play a tournament on any given night. We will always remember the 3 time someone got lucky but forget the favorites won 7 of them.

True bad beats are just not as common as we like to think.

N

natanpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Luvepoker! Thanks for replying and I understand what you said. The cases I mentioned are for example: I formed a flush on the flop or turn and on the river a saving fullhouse falls to villain. Or villain is inexperienced and goes all-in constantly and in one hand you get AKs and call all-in... At this point villain has 72o or 84 and he wins, but thanks for the reply.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live rarely. Better hands normally do hold up. Online like every other time on the river a 1 or 2 outer is a guarantee

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thirteen, unless you don't count bad decisions as bad beats, if you don't, one every few tournaments.

T

TomCj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
They're gonna come

Bad-beats are a persistent dilemma in online poker

seems they happen more often than they should

whether it's really random chance
or some programing bias built into the algorithms
we have to deal with them

I typically will have at least 3 bad-beats in a tournament
often its several more

aggravating as he**:mad:

TC

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many days none or 1 or 2. If your getting them all the time it may not really be a bad beat. The question is what you maybe defining as a bad beat. I have see players call 88 vs Ajo a bad beat. AQ vs KJ as a bad beat/ A9 vs A7 as a bad beat.. Yes there unlucky loses but are they bad beats? When all in proflop the 88 is favorite to win about 55% of the time, the AJ is about 60% and the AK is favorite about 65%. Or it was a bad beat when my top pair lost to his flush draw. A bad beat is when you have a hand so strong you will win way more often than lose. This is from professionals like Jonathan little and Danial Negranue have said.

Whats is a bad beat. Well you pocket queens getting beat by pocket 3's all in preflop. you were favorite with 82% equity. That's a bad beat. Flop set and they river the biger set. That is a bad beat. Flop 2 pair with A9 and they have just QJ and the turn is a Q and river a another Q that is a bad beat.

Lets now take some of the harder beats and look at them. Ako vs AQs, KQo vs QTs or similar hands Yes you AKo and KQ. are dominating them but they only win 70% of the time. So if you have a hand like this you will lose 3 times out of 10. We may see this happen 10 times when we play a tournament on any given night. We will always remember the 3 time someone got lucky but forget the favorites won 7 of them.

True bad beats are just not as common as we like to think.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Often so called presumed bad beats are just bad play or also like you pointed out coin flips.

N

natanpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad-beats are a persistent dilemma in online poker

seems they happen more often than they should

whether it's really random chance
or some programing bias built into the algorithms
we have to deal with them

I typically will have at least 3 bad-beats in a tournament
often its several more

aggravating as he**:mad:

TC

TomCj: Boy, I lose on average 70% of the tournaments I play because of bad beats and that playing Tight

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
when I'm about to play like focused on the tournament and on average from 20 to 30 bads now when I'm not interested in playing I don't get even one and I still end up nailing the tournament

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Usually, once every other tournament. Bad beat usually knocks me out, or just crushes me mentally.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Luvepoker! Thanks for replying and I understand what you said. The cases I mentioned are for example: I formed a flush on the flop or turn and on the river a saving fullhouse falls to villain. Or villain is inexperienced and goes all-in constantly and in one hand you get AKs and call all-in... At this point villain has 72o or 84 and he wins, but thanks for the reply.

These are situations, where you are not as far ahead, as you might think. On the flop a set has 35% equity against a flush, and even on the turn its still 23%. Its only in cases, where the opponent had just one pair and needed a runner-runner to make a boat, that its truly a bad beat, since then he only had 3% equity. But because he has so little equity, it also happen extremely rarely. If you feel, that it happen "all the time", thats definitely flawed, or you are focusing on an extremely small sample like one or two hands.

And as for AK vs. random junk like 72 or 84 preflop, the random junk has 33% equity, so AK is supposed to lose 1 in 3 times, which is not really a bad beat. It is just you getting emotional about the game, because you feel, people getting it in incorrectly should be punished by losing 100% of the time, even though the math only says, they are supposed to lose 67% of the time. But poker dont care about your feelings or desire for "justice". Its a cold math based game, and in the long run only the math will prevail.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beats began to appear less often, I don’t know what it is connected with, but 3-4 bad beats per month.