Any advice for building a bankroll on a small deposit?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Somehow I survived with my 55 against AA and caught runner-runner to make a straight

But this is still frustrating. How can my bankroll bloom when I keep suffering from so many bad beats so often? Last game I raised from UTG +2 with pocket 9's, folded to the SB who shoves all in, and I snap call. My move was right, he had pocket 5's, but he flops a set and knocks me out.

How do you accept those and overcome them or get away from them? How can I make it so that the bad beats don't threaten my BMR? I always assumed this to be a game where you can win/profit every time as long as you make the right moves, not one where you can make all the right decisions and still lose.

You play at a level that can sustain a string of bad beats, they are an inherant part of poker, thats why we all employ bankroll managment. If you have enough buyins for the game, and are prepared to move down when necessary then you should always have a bankroll.

F

Foxhound3857

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I went on tilt tonight and spewed away my profits. So I'm back to my original $25. *sigh*

I think I'm gonna take a break from the game, do some research and give myself a chance to get my emotions together. I'm really sick of taking bad beats, like going all in against A4 with A10 and seeing a 4 hit the flop, or having my AA cracked by Q9 off on a flop of J 10 8 rainbow. I know it's part of the game, but it still pisses me off, and I spewed away $15 because of it.

E

Eddie Leeway

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to avoid all-ins early in SnG's as well as MTT's because of all the lucky nonsense that occurs because it seems to happen too often in preflop racing that it gets incredibly frustrating

I went through a run of SnG's and FR's yesterday where it alternated from flop luck or river magic...when it rains, it pours

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Terrible advice.

Just remember running bad is part of the game.

But good play is always rewarded in the long run.

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I went on tilt tonight and spewed away my profits. So I'm back to my original $25. *sigh*

I think I'm gonna take a break from the game, do some research and give myself a chance to get my emotions together. I'm really sick of taking bad beats, like going all in against A4 with A10 and seeing a 4 hit the flop, or having my AA cracked by Q9 off on a flop of J 10 8 rainbow. I know it's part of the game, but it still pisses me off, and I spewed away $15 because of it.

I've been were you are now, spewing away profit because of tilt. Ive learned the hard way about BRM and tilt control. Also through experience ive learned that beats are all part of the game and to be a consistent winner it is important to realise this and not let then affect your game. It took me a few years to learn to stop tilting, I hope it wont take you as long as it took myself, good luck.

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I wonder what your research will tell you that we haven't already said. Getting it in good with AT v A4 is all that matters, the result doesn't matter because you win this race most times.
If you slow played your AA though, until the Q9 was ahead of you... well that's a hole you need to fill.

Remember, it doesn't matter how good you are, and how well you play, sometimes the best hand doesn't finish in first place.
Accept this as a fact of poker and you will be able to concentrate on playing your best game and enjoying it.

F

Foxhound3857

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder what your research will tell you that we haven't already said. Getting it in good with AT v A4 is all that matters, the result doesn't matter because you win this race most times.
If you slow played your AA though, until the Q9 was ahead of you... well that's a hole you need to fill.

Remember, it doesn't matter how good you are, and how well you play, sometimes the best hand doesn't finish in first place.
Accept this as a fact of poker and you will be able to concentrate on playing your best game and enjoying it.

Nope, he raised trying to steal my blinds, I shoved, and he called. I was in the BB with AA, he was on the button with Q9, and this was all preflop.

O

only_bridge

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, he raised trying to steal my blinds, I shoved, and he called. I was in the BB with AA, he was on the button with Q9, and this was all preflop.
Next time they all fold and you get tilted cause of that.

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, that was interesting. I was down to my last $6 so I decided to just play one bigshot, a 6-man $5.50 SnG. Somehow I survived with my 55 against AA and caught runner-runner to make a straight, and ended up winning the thing. So I'm back to my starting bankroll of $25.

So...what should I do?

Hilarious. Always play 20 Buy-Ins Deep. Play tight and aggressive. Research.

Things fish do that you shouldn't:
They play a wide range of hands. You should only play pockets, face cards, sometimes suited connectors, and use position whenever possible.
They limp a lot. Raise.
They chase. Don't chase unless you are really, really priced in.
They call a lot. It is better to be the aggressor. You should be the one betting more than the one calling.
They play one table at a time. Put in volume if you want to win, multiple tables reduces variance.
They don't know what a HUD is. You should be making decision's based on yours.
They don't use good BR management. You should play at least 20 BI deep at least at all times.
They tilt. Don't.
They deposit. You should withdraw.

F

Foxhound3857

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hilarious. Always play 20 Buy-Ins Deep. Play tight and aggressive. Research.

I'll keep that in mind. I've still got 40 BI's for the SnG's that I play.

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Then you don't have much to worry about.
You are getting it in ahead. You won't win them all but you will win more than you lose. A4 guy and Q9 guy, on the other hand, will lose more than they win. This is where your edge is, not in the big hands but in the correct plays.

Manage your roll so that you can ride the variance and you're winning.

Good Luck

F

Foxhound3857

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I played a few $1.06 Super Turbos and got a string of wins to bring my bankroll back to $41.

BTW: My sharkscope is Foxhound3857

T

Tolu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The right tourneys!!!

One of the ways to increase my bankroll was to look for private tourneys on rooms like partypoker, 888 or william hill. If you fullfill the site criteria you get to play against a small amount of poeple and have higher chance to win it.
William hill got one called PKRACE freeroll tonight with $500 just for the winner. It is an easy way to get a quick cash and increase your bankroll. You can also make good money with their buyin. You can find good ones on 888 and Party too.
I got to win a few tourneys like this but you need to be good at finding the right ones!

E

Eddie Leeway

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I've been trying lately is starting off with a $1.50 SnG(the cheapest possible at America's Cardroom) and if I win first place then I step up playing a higher SnG or MTT at $3

I'm also going to try and play the $200-$500 GTD tourneys...The new gameplan is to play when I've made the money in 2 straight SnG's and take a shot for a worthwhile prize within a $4-$5 price range....I've been told by one player an 11am $500-GTD during the midweek is worth the investment and he's won or placed a few times himself...he told me most people are in a rush for work (or for some reason) and tend to not be on their top game so I've decided to take a shot at it other than the FR's I play

I do prefer to have a 30-plus/BI in my account(and I always take the advice offered in this forum/community), but I'm willing to take a chance to buy in an MTT up to $5 with just under $53 currently in my account, and I don't consider this sum/balance to be enough to even consider it as any bankroll...maybe if I can turn it into $150 then maybe I can call it a small BR...until then its simply an opportunity

I believe I'm in the money 2 out of every 5 SnG games, but I haven't played enough MTTs other than FR's so I have no honest guage to actually say or know how well I'm doing

Last edited:
F

Foxhound3857

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which ones are easier to cash in? 9-seaters that pay the top 3, or 6-seaters that pay top 2?

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which ones are easier to cash in? 9-seaters that pay the top 3, or 6-seaters that pay top 2?

Well, I suppose it is easier to beat 4 people than it is to beat 6 people mathematically... but it depends on the people really. Avoid grinders.

3Outer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The ups and downs, the severe ones, devastate me and I quit but temporarily.
It is important to widthdraw money regularly and especially if you are not ready for the higher levels.
With a very small bankroll, play very carefully and avoid the risky but profitable hands.

At the micro level, it is very possible, to build a bankroll from very little.

J

jcdagenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best thing to do is start with sit n gos and just grind. I wouldn't play mtts yet because the variance can kill your roll very fast. cash can help you but it depends on your roll. grind sit n gos at first

crisbiazus17

crisbiazus17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure but you are truly at the whim of variance in as much as one bad run along with the rake can break you fairly quick.

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are you guys replying to this year old thread?

3Outer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The Occasional Downturn Devastates Me

A poster made the comment that the occasional downturn was devastating, how true. If you have experience and study, and choose your game and seat carefully in ring games, it is very easy to win money in micro ring games. The key is to avoid marginal hands, to play just one table, be well rested and keep records. The money management rules are for higher variance styles of play.
Finally, its just a matter of principle, losing a bankroll is no big deal where you can easily deposit another one. If you spend hundreds of hours playing poker and lose your $25 bankroll, big deal. Even working at minimum wage and required to work overtime, you will make that amount in 2 hours.

Paragon

Paragon

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play DoNs, because solid tight poker there will get you most of the double ups. This is a very good spot for beginners to practice, and it is essentially easy money if you play tight poker.

C

crazyplayer101

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should play the lowest possible don's :p i have 36 on carbon right now and i worked that up from 20 but then again i also got very lucky placing 3rd out of 225 playing a 2.20 bounty not to mention i knocked out like 4 people

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management