1putnik

1putnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,
Here is my last hand from the sunday High School tournament: SB bluff
I wonder what would you do in such situation?
The blinds are pretty big, final table is coming and the time's running out...
What was that, man!? K2o to all-in - rediculous. And for what? To took 5k?

M

Mike D_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was bad and there is a trick to understand preflop why such a move was bad. U can observe that all oponnents folded, no limps no raises - this means that none of them had a good ACE (A10+) because people at this stage tend to play aces A2+ especially if is suited. So if all guys fold chances that the last guy have an ace is big, chances that an ace will appear on the board is big too. Plus with your stack size I don't see any reasons to push with K2off. And this trick works also with this scenario, if UTG minraises and got 4-5 callers, in this spot u want to be in BB,SB with hands like 34,52,35; trust me; I even have a proof.

Last edited:
Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's just unlucky for you that BB had AQ in this spot.

100% right. Sometimes these shoves will run into bigger hands. It's no different than having pocket 10's and doing the same thing and getting called by Queens.

It is correct to shove here with this piece of cheese.
Depending on you your opponent if you feel he is a very good/experienced player then you can just fold it.

What you should absolutely not do is limp.

The only two correct moves here are shoving, which I would have done, or folding (not as good because you're giving up a spot where you only have to get past one opponent and you'll get the blinds and antes).

Calling, or raising some part of my stack (but not all of it) is just atrociously bad.

Easy shove with 6 BBs.

Unlucky to run into AQ but you still had ~35% equity preflop.

Honestly, in this situation, I shove ATC here 100% of the time.

This. :five:

SB, short stack, everyone fold.. easy shove with K high.
You have not made a mistake, just unlucky :(

This. :five:

OP - curious though, are you already ITM in this tournament? Are there ICM considerations here? I feel like we need more information so we can better analyze your play, though I think that based on what we do know, your play was correct.

You only have to get past one player here and their calling range is likely going to be very tight so your shove here is going to get better hands to fold a LOT of the time. They're probably going to call with hands like AQ+, and mid pocket pairs and up. It's a profitable play in the long run, so don't dwell on the result.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would be better if we would know something about your opponent. Also I am not sure about paying structure of this tournament. But generally, you have just 6BB and every steal is huge for you now, and you have that guy covered. In his eyes his 5BB has still big value, so hes not gonna call you very wide. Its clear push for me.

M

Marmot66

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol ... ahahahahaha

don't bluf with a rat hand like that one - K.2 :D

Jankou36

Jankou36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There was not only 5k to take.
Pot was 11.5k which was almost half of my stack. In my eyes it was free to take... What chance was that he have not even king or pocket pairs? I think it was bigger than that he have something like AQ.

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to steal the boat with a bluff, it is a good option but for your bad luck your opponent is not willing to remove the hand ... better luck for the next

N

ninoverm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol @ the comments in this thread. Easiest shove in the world. 6 BB effective in the SB with 10% antes you have to shove like 75%. Even T4o is a shove. I'd be shoving while jumping out of my seat with king high - you've even got really good equity against his calling range.

S

sellless

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on how your opponent had been playing. If it was a fish or super aggressive player than I'd likely have folded, if he was very tight then I'd likely have pushed. You still had a few blinds left so I would likely have leaned to waiting/hoping for my next mid-level+ hand.

Hi guys,
Here is my last hand from the sunday High School tournament: SB bluff
I wonder what would you do in such situation?
The blinds are pretty big, final table is coming and the time's running out...

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol @ the comments in this thread. Easiest shove in the world. 6 BB effective in the SB with 10% antes you have to shove like 75%. Even T4o is a shove. I'd be shoving while jumping out of my seat with king high - you've even got really good equity against his calling range.
At this point, I think 100% of hands might be a shove. I could be wrong, but I can't see folding any hand here.

And yes, the comments are pretty lol. A lot of members that need guidance.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

:five:

At this point, I think 100% of hands might be a shove. I could be wrong, but I can't see folding any hand here.

And yes, the comments are pretty lol. A lot of members that need guidance.

I don't think 100% of hands are a shove here.....it would reduce your overall equity, but if the villain here is super tight, then why not?

The thing I tend to see a lot in tournaments is people having (for example) 6-7 bb's, and they either limp or min-raise.....Just doing everybody else a favor really in my opinion. If you need a double-up and you wake up with a very strong hand, put the chips in because now you're putting those left to act in a tough spot, as to whether or not to call. There are three outcomes:

1. Fold too tight
2. Call too loosely
3. Call correctly

2/3rds of the decisions here are wrong, and you'll do one of the following:

1. Win the blinds and ante's
2. Get a call and double-up (or more)
3. Get a call and lose

2/3rds of the outcomes are desirable. Put yourself into that position and more often than not, good things will happen.

Play to win, not to eke out a few cents.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think 100% of hands are a shove here.....it would reduce your overall equity, but if the villain here is super tight, then why not?
...The only reason why I would jam ATC 100% of the time here is because with 6 BBs, I don't have a lot of fold equity and every time I do fold, I give up a little more. If I just fold here, then in 7 hands, I would pay 8.5K in BB + antes. That's ~30% stack and only ~4.5 BBs. If you look at the time, blinds + antes go up in 4 min. That's possibly the next 3 or 4 hands, so now I can probably even look at shoving a smaller stack with even less FE.

I really can't bank on picking up a better shove hand or spot to shove in 7 hands, either. It might happen, but there is a greater chance I won't. I might find a spot but now it'll be with almost 0 fold equity. Especially if it's a spot where I am 3 bet shoving or if I have to call a shove. Calling a shove =/= shoving as a call range has to be a little tighter than what you shove with.

At least in this spot, even with K2, I still have some fold equity. At an effect 6 BBs, I might not but its definitely better than trying to shove ~4.5 BBs. If I can pick up the pot, that's great. That's a huge boost to my current stack and will put me in a bit of a better position than I am currently in.

However, I'm not hating a call either. With only 6 BBs, I really do want to double up and being to get myself HU in a possible 60/40 or 40/60 situation most of the time is a really great spot to be in. There is definitely a bit of risk, but villain could probably just as easily call QJ heres as they did QA. In fact, and this might sound silly to some, but AQ is probably the better hand K2 could hope to see as now his hand is live. K2 is still be hand, but ahead of hands like KX and pairs.

Even if hero has a hand like 29 or 103, running into AQ isn't as bad as it sounds.

Anyway, like I said. That's how I view it. I'm not sure if it's correct but taking the most aggressive approach here is, IMO, the best approach

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
think thats an any 2 card spot, shove away

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
...The only reason why I would jam ATC 100% of the time here is because with 6 BBs, I don't have a lot of fold equity and every time I do fold, I give up a little more. If I just fold here, then in 7 hands, I would pay 8.5K in BB + antes. That's ~30% stack and only ~4.5 BBs. If you look at the time, blinds + antes go up in 4 min. That's possibly the next 3 or 4 hands, so now I can probably even look at shoving a smaller stack with even less FE.

I really can't bank on picking up a better shove hand or spot to shove in 7 hands, either. It might happen, but there is a greater chance I won't. I might find a spot but now it'll be with almost 0 fold equity. Especially if it's a spot where I am 3 bet shoving or if I have to call a shove. Calling a shove =/= shoving as a call range has to be a little tighter than what you shove with.

At least in this spot, even with K2, I still have some fold equity. At an effect 6 BBs, I might not but its definitely better than trying to shove ~4.5 BBs. If I can pick up the pot, that's great. That's a huge boost to my current stack and will put me in a bit of a better position than I am currently in.

However, I'm not hating a call either. With only 6 BBs, I really do want to double up and being to get myself HU in a possible 60/40 or 40/60 situation most of the time is a really great spot to be in. There is definitely a bit of risk, but villain could probably just as easily call QJ heres as they did QA. In fact, and this might sound silly to some, but AQ is probably the better hand K2 could hope to see as now his hand is live. K2 is still be hand, but ahead of hands like KX and pairs.

Even if hero has a hand like 29 or 103, running into AQ isn't as bad as it sounds.

Anyway, like I said. That's how I view it. I'm not sure if it's correct but taking the most aggressive approach here is, IMO, the best approach

Oh, no doubt, you make excellent points that factor into my thinking as well. One key is you are heads-up, something that is not guaranteed beyond this point. Second, you have a hand that plays well against SB's ATC.

I'd rather have K2 than Ax (unless x is J+) because you're more likely to be live against a call. :five: :cool:

K

koskesh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand your logic but considering that the final table is just a few hands away I personally would not risk so much especially not with those cards.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand your logic but considering that the final table is just a few hands away I personally would not risk so much especially not with those cards.
is it the final table?

If it is, then that does change things.

Q

quake419

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not in this spot

even at the closing of tourneys patience is sorely needed. bluffing is a mute point sometimes people wait on fish and donkeys with better cards suited paired high ins,let them play cards may change for the better 1 or 2 blinds later