All in pocket aces?

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
riff_raff312 Has told me that I was wrong to get someone to shove against me when I had AA because I was out of position.
I understand if a few called but I cornered one person to call.
What do you all think?

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What’s the point of playing poker if you’re afraid to take about 80% chance of winning heads up if you’re gonna fold.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I agree with BlackJesus - if you are heads-up pre-flop then getting someone to shove against you is the perfect move. How did you get them to shove?
Post-flop, of course is a whole different story. I am assuming you are thinking only of a pre-flop AA shove.

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it was preflop I don't see the problem. All in heads up preflop there is no position. Position is meaningless in that case.

W

Wiflopper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any Time you can get all in with AA preflop its plus EV. Except on bubbles if you need to make the money or next pay jump.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Pre-flop - All in

Post flop - You have to evaluate if it's worth

Forget about your position at the table.

P

Peachii22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always all in pre-flop because I know if I slow play into post-flop opponent will just get a card that makes them win and then I have to fold with aces which pretty ugly so all in preflop is just the way for me.

Highscoregodx

Highscoregodx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In multipot, the chances of winning are not great, so I try to beat out other players with bets and go to all-in only against one opponent

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
AA wins heads up about 86% of time...4 or more players I believe it is about 50% or so, those aces can easily get cracked...so depending on the types of players and your table image..and if the board is wet or dry if you continue to play.

I either find myself going all in preflop with pocket rockets or bet 5X (putting them to a tough decision to mathematically call) the pot to limit who I am playing against to determine if I can extract money from particular players..if you have straight draws and flush draws on the flop and a passive player calls your raise, good chance your aces are being shown the door, against an aggressive player..they may be playing unto the draws and not have anything..also if the board comes say 558..and your opponent happened to call your raise with A8 A5 ..your aces just got cracked with trips if they look frisky..so feel the player(s) out If the flop looks like danger after your strong bet with the rockets..

Last edited:
D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the only downside is if you do that pre-flop and no-one calls. A hand like that and all you win are a couple of blinds. I remember once, I was running out of chips, and got pocket kings when I was big blind but everyone folded to me. Even the small blind. That hurt.
But it's better than trying to slow play it and someone making 2 pair from the community cards and beating you. That's happened to me before too!

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is obviously not a big deal in a hand where you are all-in...
There is no position after being all-in, because you cant act any more and there is no more information to be gained by sitting behind the other player.

And it also doesn't matter how many people are to act after you.
Everyone calling you will have a weaker hand.

Sure, every caller reduces your odds of winning the hand, but he also increases the reward for winning the hand, Even if you end up in a multiway pot the pot odds will be in your favor !

So how did you "get" the guy to shove ?
If you did it by slowplaying your aces then that would be a costly mistake most of the time. But if you raised or made a 3-bet and someone shoves into your aces all is fine in my opinion...

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AA wins heads up about 86% of time...4 or more players I believe it is about 50% or so, those aces can easily get cracked...so depending on the types of players and your table image..and if the board is wet or dry if you continue to play.

But head-up you win only 2 stacks and in a 4 way pot you win 4 stacks....
Let's say we play the hand 100 times:

Heads-Up we win 2 stacks 86 times = 172 stacks
We lose 14 stacks.
In total we have 158 stacks after 100 hands.

In a 4 way pot we win 4 stacks 50% of the time = 200
We lose 50 times 1 stack.
In total we have 150 stacks after 100 plays....

There isn't a big difference between the 2 situations as every additional caller increases the pot by around the same factor that he lowers your chancesn of winning.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
But head-up you win only 2 stacks and in a 4 way pot you win 4 stacks....
Let's say we play the hand 100 times:

Heads-Up we win 2 stacks 86 times = 172 stacks
We lose 14 stacks.
In total we have 158 stacks after 100 hands.

In a 4 way pot we win 4 stacks 50% of the time = 200
We lose 50 times 1 stack.
In total we have 150 stacks after 100 plays....

There isn't a big difference between the 2 situations as every additional caller increases the pot by around the same factor that he lowers your chancesn of winning.

I don’t look at Aces as a way to win money as my first priority, I use them to lean on players to show strength for table image, depending on table and players..so when I push hard with 27 or float with whatever I can get certain players to fold much easier when I need to.

Getting aces cracked at showdown automatically subconsciously makes you look weak to other players, and they are quicker to try and run all over you. This has been my experience at least..

Which is why I will muck AA if I have to..it is all about the board and how player is acting to me that I even go to showdown with AA.

Last edited:
S

stephenpowell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends

For me it depends on the situation. If you are monster stack and have no chance of going out then 100% pull people all in. If I'm almost out (small stack) and need a double up again 100% I'm going all in. However if I'm some where in the middle I might throw a smaller bet out there see how many bite and then reassess after the flop. Even in that situation though if someone reraises me all in I'm still going to call. It is mainly after the flop that I would question an all in. If say two 2s and a king come up on the flop. There are many possibilities now where my aces are void.

At the end of the day its educated gambling. So at some point you need luck to be on your side.

S.Powell

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Always will depends on the situation, but for sure pocket aces will win most of the times, with a very high percentage of wins, so it´s always nice situation call all in, in my opnion

Sdub2020

Sdub2020

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA all in all day pre!!!

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all...have to take an all-in pre flop..odds are there

C

celtics33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with AA im really careful at the start of a tournament when the blinds are really low, some people can even call a 5-6 x blind raise just to see a flop. but if you are going allin with the AA preflop position is meaningless. getting 1 person to call an allin with AA is what poker is all about.

M

Mariadelaluz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It´s a good optional. But, AA has an advantage however it´s just a pair. Therefore, it´s necessary to reduce participants to raise the percentage of win.
Mmmm, it´s difficult decide.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Isnt hard decision.... pre-flop allin call, after flop is another history....

Kertooie

Kertooie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like to 2bet call pre with pocket aces and check jam turn if i dont suspect anything, there's been plenty of times i call all in pre, or all in on the flop with AA and my opponents have draw cards or shove pairs and hit sets.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
riff_raff312 Has told me that I was wrong to get someone to shove against me when I had AA because I was out of position.
I understand if a few called but I cornered one person to call.
What do you all think?

Was the shove that you enticed preflop or postflop?
Were there player to act behind you?

Preflop
I'm not sure how position plays into getting someone to shove preflop if there were no additional players behind you.

Akinled

Akinled

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the week didn't start really well, made a few mistakes but none of them cost me much, but the cards just weren't coming and - when they did - I was beaten by some idiotic paying my pocket Aces with Q2o and hitting a flush or some kind of beat like that...

A

Allyte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was the shove that you enticed preflop or postflop?
Were there player to act behind you?

Preflop
I'm not sure how position plays into getting someone to shove preflop if there were no additional players behind you.
It was pre flop. I raised, they re raised and then I shoved.