AKs on the Bubble

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you do with AKs on the bubble. I had it the other day and played it and lost. Opponent got a lollipop on the river. Do you always play it safe on the bubble? I was playing to win the tournament and probably would do the same thing again.:deal:

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Playing to win > Playing to min... :wink:

Would have done the same. :icon_thum

A

Acadien07

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How many times AK will loose to lower hand?

Lately I lost with AK about 8 -times to AQ or lower than AK probably 7-times is that normal or just bad luck! Getting very frustrate ! ANSWER PLEASE!:mad:

L

lanelosee100

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Typically I'd play it but avoid serious decion

E

ender0713

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you do with AKs on the bubble. I had it the other day and played it and lost. Opponent got a lollipop on the river. Do you always play it safe on the bubble? I was playing to win the tournament and probably would do the same thing again.:deal:

No Never, always play the same way that you would play them otherwise! (But, I will say if they're not suited, then be careful! (especially going all in pre-flop) Better to be safe then sorry! :)

However, if theres a raise and a reraise before me , then i might fold them pre-flop, especially if theres a short stack or someones about to blind out... in that situation it may be safer to fold them and wait for the bubble to burst. It really depends on my chip stack in relation to others, if im large, and have over 50 big blinds, and there was no raise or reraise or rereraise, then definitely calling another players all in, or shipping it. On a side note though.. Im not one to call another players all in, unless i have good pot odds, and or can truly afford it, like if I had 50 BBs and it only cost me 4-10 BBs to call, then im probably gonna call.

You should also be putting people on "Ranges" and learning more about their ranges by watching hands that youre not in. Typically you want to do this before finding yourself in an all-in situation pre-flop, so that you can have a good idea of how loose that player is playing. Also, I like to have control of the hands i play in if i can, i do this by controlling the betting. So, if someone ships it on me preflop, im not in control, they are. So i guess what im saying is, its alot easier for me to fold AKo pre-flop if someone else has went all-in before me...

Hope this helps! :)
:):):):):):):)

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe if i have less than 5 bb i might consider folding on the bubble otherwise i would most likely just risk my stack with a hand like ak suited unless theres 2 all ins behind me.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are many things, that goes into decision making in poker, other than your exact hand and the fact, its on the bubble. Like stack sizes, positions, action, player type. And if the hand goes postflop, then obviously also the board. So its kind of meaningless to ask, what people "do with AKs on the bubble".

Will we sometimes bust on the bubble? Yes. Does that suck? Yes. Does it matter? Not if we played well. MTTs are a long term game, and min-cashing in a single one is not important. So no. I do not "always play it safe on the bubble". But I do take the bubble into consideration, and I do make adjustments.

Lets say for instance, that I am the second largest stack on the table with 37BB, and the chip leader opens from EP. Then I might just call with AKs rather than 3-bet and get involved in a big pot at a time, where this is very disadvantageous for me. Same of the final table, especially if there are some sub 10BB stacks hanging around. Then I dont really need to play a huge "flip" with the chip leader and risk busting in 8. place giving several players with much shorter stacks a free payjump.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
for me depends on the buy-in, if its not my regular buy-in like the $55M $1M event I don't care about the bubble but if it's $55 I will go for the money first and just play it safe

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to play it safe on the bubble.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
for me depends on the buy-in, if its not my regular buy-in like the $55M $1M event I don't care about the bubble but if it's $55 I will go for the money first and just play it safe
Did you mix those up? :icon_scra

Don't care about the $55m but the $55 you will go for the money?? :eek:

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK it gets played

I play it without question :)

Play to win every time - longevity is key, however it is also situational to your BR and type of tourney.

telespf

telespf

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this the most complete answer for the question.

Are several factores for you analysis.

Found to do this.

No Never, always play the same way that you would play them otherwise! (But, I will say if they're not suited, then be careful! (especially going all in pre-flop) Better to be safe then sorry! :)

However, if theres a raise and a reraise before me , then i might fold them pre-flop, especially if theres a short stack or someones about to blind out... in that situation it may be safer to fold them and wait for the bubble to burst. It really depends on my chip stack in relation to others, if im large, and have over 50 big blinds, and there was no raise or reraise or rereraise, then definitely calling another players all in, or shipping it. On a side note though.. Im not one to call another players all in, unless i have good pot odds, and or can truly afford it, like if I had 50 BBs and it only cost me 4-10 BBs to call, then im probably gonna call.

You should also be putting people on "Ranges" and learning more about their ranges by watching hands that youre not in. Typically you want to do this before finding yourself in an all-in situation pre-flop, so that you can have a good idea of how loose that player is playing. Also, I like to have control of the hands i play in if i can, i do this by controlling the betting. So, if someone ships it on me preflop, im not in control, they are. So i guess what im saying is, its alot easier for me to fold AKo pre-flop if someone else has went all-in before me...

Hope this helps! :)
:):):):):):):)

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends on my stack size. If I'm short and a double isn't going to do a lot for me in a big field I might just play safe to get in the money, if a double will really make my future game a lot more promising and give me a chance to take down the tourney, I'll go with the hand.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the minimum prize money is so important, then the tournament is not for your bankroll. Are we playing for itm or for a win?

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mostly I play cash but sometimes I play tourneys and really is there a reason to aim for something less than top1 - top5. I don't think so...

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's an easy fold during the bubble, but ofc there's many other decisional factors

A

Acadien07

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Checking all the post!

The more I check all the answer on the AK what to do the more I see different answer many different way to play it ! Try to remember all those answer might be hard to remember but thats why I'm starting to like cardschat all those post might help you !The worst thing I wish I had more time to read them!;)

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your game plan at this stage of the tournament whether it is better to fold AK on the bubble or better go to all-in. The main thing is to be consistent and not get upset in case of failure.

L

Lol1x1

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
What are you doing with AK on the bubble. I had it the other day, I played it and lost. Villain got a lollipop on the river. Are you always reinsured on the bubble? I played to win the tournament and would probably do the same thing again. :deal:
It would depend on my stack and position, but most likely I would see the flop:joyman:

M

manIk5

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If money I would win mean something to me , then I would be prepared to fold ak preflop , even better hands ! But If I had huge bankroll , then I would play it for sure . Maybe even be prepared to go all in preflop ! Depends on stack size, opponent you're facing and all that stuff ...

A

Acadien07

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Still don't truss Ace King!

Maybe I will start playing AK no matter what happen I will go with the odd and sooner than later it will work out ! Today I would a won if I would went ALL IN !:p

rabman50

rabman50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If my stack size is big enough the bubble is the place to put pressure on the smaller stacks that are trying to sneak into the money. On the other hand if my stack is such that I will struggle to go deep in the tournament I may try to sneak into the money. So the answer is "it depends".

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If it puts me at risk and I have more than 10 bbs, I am folding all day.