AJ in the Big Blind

Erik moraes

Erik moraes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What to do in the big blind when you have A J and came raise, re raise (in the middle of the tournament)?

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the structure of the tournament, 6-max or 9-max, the size of the blinds, the size of the stack, the players involved in the hand, their manner of play. There is no definite clear plan for drawing the hand, all hands are individual and it is silly to approach them with one template. What they write in poker books, advise the coach, you do not need to clearly adhere to it 100%, but this knowledge is still necessary, because it is the basis, the foundation.

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have fold to a 3bet before me. With position disadvantage and weak Ace, it not a time to defend the blind.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Unless I am very short stacked, it is often a clear fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will get more usefull feedback, if you share an actual hand history in the proper section of the forum. Cardschat has recently added a hand history converter, which makes it even easier to share hands here :)

That being said as a pure default AJ is a fold, if someone has already put in a 3-bet, when the action gets to you. The 3-better would have to be an absolute maniac for me to give that action. Even if its an undersized 3-bet, there is still the issue, that he has reopened the betting for the original raiser, so if I call, I might not even be able to see a flop.

Iggykiddo

Iggykiddo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well. It depends how big the 3-bet is in comparison to your stack? If you have a good healthy stack I would call and see if I can hit the J and see what to do from there. But it all depends as I said how big the bet is compared to your stack, id say.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your question cannot be answered unequivocally. It all depends on each individual situation. It is important to consider the format of the tournament, the style of play of your opponents and the size of your stack.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If the number of chips allows, then you can repeatedly raise about 7-8bb and give up if your opponent continues to aggression (this is one of the possible options for the draw), but the final decision depends on many factors !!!

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simple answer, I fold. The re raise is probably AA or KK

B

BDR-83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything depends on the situation,mood and in what condition my bank if the bank on average condition then reset if in bad condition then all in.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure what kind of answers you are looking for with the way you ask these type of questions. This is like the third or fourth time this week I've ran across these vague scenarios. Fold or shove and pray.

guwanch7777777

guwanch7777777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we need to watch more how professional players play

thetzarofpoker

thetzarofpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What to do in the big blind when you have A J and came raise, re raise (in the middle of the tournament)?

It depends, how % of your stack is the beth.. and in witch position are the bet and rise.. if you have AJ suite call.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You've left out a lot of details....with the information you provide AJ is an obvious fold. You're out of position against two raises and most likely dominated by one hand if not both.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Simple answer is to fold but depends on blind level, Your stack, how big is the 3-bet, who has put raise and re re raise...

pokergopher

pokergopher

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I look at the vpip of the villon, if it is a loose player I would 3 bet. If it is a tight player I would just call and hope to hit the flop before proceeding with a smallish donk bet to test the waters.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, it's a fold. You know you are at least facing AQ/AK, and that dominates you.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would folded faster than you can say "gone". No sense risking your chips there. Tomorrow is another day !!!

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not knowing the whole scenario i would just call. but if i knew how the table been playing i might even fold

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Unless I am very short stacked, it is often a clear fold.

Exactly.

AJ only looks good, but it's far from that people give it credit for.

1) a re-raise is too dangerious sign to ignore. What do you think he re-raises with? A10?
2) even a small pair, even deuces has higher chance pre-flop than AJ.

Conclusion: unless you are absolutely desperate, it's a fold.

W

willpwr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the structure of the tournament, 6-max or 9-max, the size of the blinds, the size of the stack, the players involved in the hand, their manner of play. There is no definite clear plan for drawing the hand, all hands are individual and it is silly to approach them with one template. What they write in poker books, advise the coach, you do not need to clearly adhere to it 100%, but this knowledge is still necessary, because it is the basis, the foundation.

very well said, every hand should be played with situational awareness of past play from all players at the table.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Access when the last time you hit aces and jacks, remember how many aces or jacks have been in the last 7 flops. If you havent hit ace jack in a while it could be the fifth time it hit then if aces and jacks havent flopped in a while chances are they flopping this time. Hit an all in.

SSorin18

SSorin18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on much more factors,and especially on what type of player is the one that raised before you.. You need to take in considerations all the infos to take a decision,but in the 'simple' example you gave, you could simply call if you don't feel confident about raising.