Advice For A Tourney Noob

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes that's right - (cover your eyes cash guys) - I'm thinking of going over to the dark side. :D

I learned to play poker just over a year ago but have played almost entirely cash (2-10nl on Stars) apart from CC freerolls. Cash has not been kind to me lately. I decided to go back to 2nl nearly a month ago after almost losing my BR and wanting to fix my leaks. I played 2nl for a couple of weeks and was crushing even though running really bad. I moved up to 5nl and then back up to 10nl but am continuing to run bad. It's possible to get away with running bad at 2nl and still be a winning player because opponents make such bad mistakes, but at nitty reg-infested 5nl & 10nl, those coolers and suckouts really hurt when you're losing stacks. I just checked my HEM and am currently running at -14bi's under EV at 27.5k hands with a lol winrate (loserate) of -1bb. :(

So my question to the tourney wizards here (and I know there are quite a few of you!) is what games would you recommend for someone coming from a cash background but still really a beginner. I enjoy HU S&Gs but not sure I should be jumping into those as they're probably too advanced. Should I be trying my luck at MTTs where I get lots of play and experience for a small outlay. If so, which are they best games on Stars or Tilt I should start with?

Or should I start with 9 or 45man S&Gs? My BR is around $200 now. What BI's should I go for? Or maybe it would be best for me to stick to freerolls until I understand tourney play better?

I know tourneys are brutal variance-wise but as you're playing longer then maybe it takes longer to lose your roll! On the plus side, I don't suffer with tilt much but on the down side I'm not as patient as I could be. Should I be going for faster structures to suit my personality?

All advice appreciated. Thanks! :)

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tell you what, if I knock you out of the CC freeroll you no play donkaments k?

Oh wait.

J

jackaoliver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know tourneys are brutal variance-wise but as you're playing longer then maybe it takes longer to lose your roll! On the plus side, I don't suffer with tilt much but on the down side I'm not as patient as I could be. Should I be going for faster structures to suit my personality?

Turbo's have even more variance. Play $1 45man SNG and you can play a simple stratagy as you can just wait for decent hands, and people stack off so easily. then when nearing the bubble (which will happen more often than not for anyone with any poker knowledge) you just play a simple aggro stratagy like in any tourement... think most people could grind a profit from these and it is probablly more fun than cash

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
f so, which are they best games on Stars or Tilt I should start with?

Or should I start with 9 or 45man S&Gs? My BR is around $200 now.

Depends on what structure you prefer tbh. I'd go with 45/90 mans since the structure is more similar to mtt's. With your bankroll you're probably better playing on stars then FTP since the micro mtt sngs on FTP suck.

Biggest difference between mttsng's and cash is how nitty you have to be in the early stages, and getting used to shove/fold spots and ICM.

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Turbo's have even more variance. Play $1 45man SNG and you can play a simple stratagy as you can just wait for decent hands, and people stack off so easily. then when nearing the bubble (which will happen more often than not for anyone with any poker knowledge) you just play a simple aggro stratagy like in any tourement... think most people could grind a profit from these and it is probablly more fun than cash

Thanks jackaoliver. I might give this a try for a bit and see how I get on. :)

Depends on what structure you prefer tbh. I'd go with 45/90 mans since the structure is more similar to mtt's. With your bankroll you're probably better playing on stars then FTP since the micro mtt sngs on FTP suck.

Biggest difference between mttsng's and cash is how nitty you have to be in the early stages, and getting used to shove/fold spots and ICM.

Great advice - thanks doom! :)

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there are free roll MTTs that could be good practice expect for the fact some people play to lose! It seems like it anyways.

The biggest thing is you have to be willing to not lose all your chips even if it means shoving them all when you start to get desperately low. But like somebody mentioned there are charts and things for that.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
**** this. I thought you were trolling. My ass is getting on Skype later. I'll sweat you if need be, heck I'll sweat all over you if you want(!!!;) ?)

Just. Don't. Do. The. Donkaments.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
**** this. I thought you were trolling. My ass is getting on Skype later. I'll sweat you if need be, heck I'll sweat all over you if you want(!!!;) ?)

Do it. Tourney section of CC is dead. Needs some more players imo.

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Just because you don't like MTTs doesn't mean you need to make fun of the people who play them. If that's the case whats a witty demeaning term for cash games players? People who sit on their asses and grind all day? LOLgrinders? donkgrinders?

I personally prefer and love sit and goes and MTTs. I still would practice my ring game skills though and I think a great poker player would do both.

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cash is harder then tournaments because cash requires a whole different mindset then tournaments

but the reason descent cash players are good at MTTs is at the early stages you are playing a simple cash strategy, TAG, the early stages are where you are the deepest usually 100-200BB deep, which means you have to use all your cash skills to get any value from your big hands.

Then as the tournament starts to increase in blinds, and antes come into play thats where the strategy changes, now you have dead money in the pot, as a result you win the pot you increase your stack a descent ammount, you then start adjusting to a more LAG approach, however this doesnt mean start raising and re raising with trash, just means you can open raise a hell of a lot lighter then you would normally.

Finally once you get to 20BB, your game starts to change drastically, now your looking for your double up spot even though you arent really in a huge rush, so you bet your big hands hard

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
welcome to the dark side:)
sitngos probably your best choice (with some small mtts for fun)
9-45 man = less variance, 90-180 man = bigger payouts
try them all and see what you like
I like 9-18man turbos for the quickness of them (and my limited time)
keep us updated and gl

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks zEric7x, kingmunchers and micalupagoo for all the advice. I think I'll spend the weekend on the S&Gs and see how I get on. Will keep you posted! :)

heck I'll sweat all over you if you want(!!!;) ?)

Wow - is this an offer I can't refuse? ;):p

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just because you don't like MTTs doesn't mean you need to make fun of the people who play them. If that's the case whats a witty demeaning term for cash games players? People who sit on their asses and grind all day? LOLgrinders? donkgrinders?

I personally prefer and love sit and goes and MTTs. I still would practice my ring game skills though and I think a great poker player would do both.

I don't see how I was insulting or making fun of anyone. The vast majority of tournament players are donks/fish/whatever you want to call them.

Donkaments is as accurate a generalization as you could possibly make in terms of poker, partly due to the multitudes of fish and partly due to the fact that no one ever wins one without donking it up at least a few times.

-----

Edit: is you just trying to copy Logan, Dr?

Last edited:
zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I felt like being a argumentative mood today I guess. Sorry. You are right. I take something too personal sometimes.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I felt like being a argumentative mood today I guess. Sorry. You are right. I take something too personal sometimes.

No problem man. Apologies if I did offend.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good stuff honeycrush, best of luck in the switchover!

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks all. Not going very well so far... but the day is young! :)

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Taking a break. Poker gods are still messing with me. I have salvaged things a little since this morning though by playing some satellites and unregistering from target tourneys. Some of these were FPPs too which meant I didn't have to pay entry. :)

Story so far:

Tourney Sat

Mostly playing S&Gs for 9/10 players. Tried a 45-man but just don't have the patience when the rewards are so small. And played one MTT when I won the seat in a satty. Didn't last long in either of those.

Is there someone here who can teach me how to win flips? :confused:

M

murrdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
patience is critical man....if you dont have it dont play mtt....if you are cutting your teeth in mtts start out small[stakes,fields].....find out what s comfortable for you

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
patience is critical man....if you dont have it dont play mtt....if you are cutting your teeth in mtts start out small[stakes,fields].....find out what s comfortable for you

Thanks. Yes, I know it's something I need to work on. That's why I'm sticking to small fields at the moment. Also with larger MTTs with guarantees, if there is more than a few cents up top then I might feel more motivated. I will just have to try and see how I get on.

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You could also try some of the DON tourneys .I think some grind those with a lot of success Otherwise if you want too make your time count I would say the 9 man S&Gs........scorp

honeycrush

honeycrush

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You could also try some of the DON tourneys .I think some grind those with a lot of success Otherwise if you want too make your time count I would say the 9 man S&Gs........scorp

Thanks scorp. I've been playing mainly satellites which I think play a lot like DONs. I just wait for good hands and let all the crazy donks knock each other out.

33 games down. I've decided to aim for 50 games today so 17 left to go. Let's hope I can stay in profit!

Tourney Sat 2