Advantages of staking?

L

Lieutenant_OH7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wonder why much players like to be staked in poker or to play higher buyins..
Then I think u can win bigger prizes with higher buyins but if you only have 20% of your own money in it u only get 20% of the prize too right?
Wouldn't this be the same if a highstakes player that is staked would play lower stakes and get the full prizemoney too (and perhaps less skilled player pool)?
Perhaps I'm missing something..

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can play for 100 percent of your money-who forbids you.It all depends on how many of them you have?If you put all your profits on the line, it's not right.It is correct, for example, to enter a tournament with 2 or 3 percent of your profit.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a few reasons but the biggest is bankroll management.

Let's say you have a roll of $2,000. There's a big anniversary $109 Sunday tournament. Instead of passing, or playing with only 20 Buyins, you sell 80% and only keep around $20 in action making it appropriate for your bankroll. You may even pocket some mark-up in the process if you're a good player with winning results. So it can work out well for everyone involved if you're a good player selling some of your action at a reasonable rate.

L

Lieutenant_OH7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand what you say but that's why I wonder what you win playing those higher stakes with only part of your own money, like even if you win more, you'll win only about the same as you would in a tournament with lower buyin but with your own money invested, that was the question I had..

And yes the markups I've seen on ggpoker already, even betting on which player would win a tournament, it's interesting.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I like very much the idea of staking , for bankroll management reasons , to share the thrill of winning or playing with one or more others , I would like to try it , my stakes are nano or micro , so I would ask for 11$ at the most , ofcourse others play for 109$ , 1100$ etc , but there are some problems here in Greece with money transfer , lol , maybe ACR is my only option .

Anyway , I like to see this staking thing , but only when a player asks to be staked for games/limits/stakes that he already plays , not for crazy new limits , no meaning to play higher limits or stakes , most probably you'll lose due to lack of experience , also in these occasions the possibility of a scam comes to my mind . I mean if a player plays 11$ to 55$ , and suddenly he asks for a 550$ game or even more , well then ..... I think we had one occasion here at CC some months ago that I remember of such a scam ...

marianexbj

marianexbj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it works as long as you have a correct banking management, and it allows you to explore higher levels without so much monetary risk, to go shooting I think it is adequate to avoid big losses.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You actually have a very good point. Usually a tournament with a higher buyin will be tougher, so a winning player will have a higher hourly winrate playing a lower buyin, which he is fully bankrolled for, and not sell any pieces of his action. Or at least this is the case, if he sell without markup.

There might be some cases though, where the higher buyin tournament is so unique and soft, that a staking deal could be worth considering, if its way outside your bankroll. A good example could be the wsop main event, where a lot of mediocre players come in for the prestige and title, and it only happens once a year.

But if we are talking about more mundane tournaments like Collins example with an anniversary Sunday Million for 109$, then I would personally rather try to satellite in or simply take a shot for 5% of my bankroll. Or even take that money out of my paycheck instead of eating in a restaurant or buying a new pair of jeans. If your poker bankroll is 2.000$, then you are almost certainly not a full time professional player, and then there is not really any reason to get involved in staking in my opinion.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is important to buy extra chips between hands to get a full stack. This frees up the player's hands to implement poker techniques and conduct their own tactics. If at some stage your stack drops to 40 BB, then it is better to buy until full. What's more, online poker rooms always have an automatic redemption feature. Try to play it from the first days. Let you play with low buy-ins but full stack, not high and short ones. Believe me, in the second case, the bankroll will melt much faster, and you will not acquire the experience and skills of a good poker player.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to play small stakes tournament. Never risk a large part of your bankroll. With small entries, there is a better chance of making a profit.

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally risk my entire bankroll when I have it.I like big bets, small bets it's down the drain.My style is called all or nothing,this is of course wrong, but interesting.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand it, it is quiet obvious about bankroll, even I never have taken apart in it on any sides. Prefer to stay on micro, low tourneys, there are some nice guaranteed tourneys, too, with big field, relatively high FT pay outs, if you prefer that.