Advanced 9-Man SNG Concepts: Shoving vs. Raise on the Bubble (Video)

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the great video. I have always had problems with these types of games, but I will try to play the same as you, I hope that I succeed.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent advice on the shove v fold on the bubble. I find that in a lot of online tournaments, SB v BB has become a shovefest at all stages of the tournament and that the BB is calling with a very wide range, usually any Q9+, sometimes quite lower. What adjustments do you make to plays like this?

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The part where its profitable to shove any two cards UTG when he's analyzing K9o just blew my mind. One thing I noticed top SNG players do is that instead of shoving all their chips, they would leave behind 100 chips or so in the event that two other players behind shoved over on top. Then folding with a 100 chips left would still allow you to remain in the game, a bit closer to the bubble.
Not sure how applicable it is when no one has gone out yet but still worth trying imo.

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

when we play SNG of 9 players we seek to increase the stack of chips since they are fast tournaments and it is very important to know how to push everything when it approaches the bubble, and the logical thing is to push everything with good cards since at that stage of the bubble many will pay with any card or maybe they will not pay for just getting to the ITMs, but the important thing is if one is continuous in playing more SNG is to know the way your opponents play since types of SNG are frequent in that

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The video is good :) Despite having ICMizer showing us how light we should shove in these extreme situations it is still hard to pull the triger, knowing we are putting tournament life on the line.

Still, I am about aggression over preservation near the bubble, because we are really aiming for final tables and better payjumps and not just ITM.

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
watched the video couple times two understand the concept better. What I like the most that it gives a lot of helpful advices from different perspectives. I will take into account this analysis event though sometimes its really hard to make the right decision

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the analysis and content Colin. I had read about ICM before this video but I did not truly understand the rationale for it. I did not know that doubling up less than doubles the equity that we can in the tournament. This is really pushing me to think beyond hole cards. The concept of fold equity also helps me to understand why it is so important to apply pressure with the big stack.

The ICMIZER illustration for the double or nothing sit n go was a particularly stark illustration of these concepts. It is really challenging to move beyond this way of thinking that I have been accustomed to for so many years - that folding the top 5-10% of our range preflop is crazy talk. For example, the last hand as the BB facing a 20bb jam from the SB with 4 left, folding AK there??? Flies in the face of my normal approach but thanks to content like this I am gradually stepping it up to be more profitable.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Collin!
I don't really like to play in the SnG, I only play when there is little time or busy, as they pass rather fast than MTT

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You asked and Collin Moshman delivers with this awesome poker strategy video focusing on Advanced concepts for 9-Man SNGs. While this topic is geared toward single table play, these strategies can be applied to multi-table SNGs and MTTs.

In this video Collin goes over everything from ICM, Fold Equity, along with other more advanced level thinking and analysis with hand examples to show you how to use these concepts to your advantage. Watch, learn, take notes, and let us know what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=begFBOVE0eQ
i said it before and i will tell it again , it s really a great thing to have theses great persons to help us improve our game , thank you Cardschat for giving us this oppurtunity , i watched the video over and over and i tooks notes as it s very important and i think it will help me in poker .

Talden

Talden

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good video, and point Collin. I didn't start playing online poker till I was 40some . So a natural NIT...lol It was very hard for me to open up my game (still not where I need to be), but working on it. BUT, after watching a friend open shove 32o(with position) so many times, it has helped me. And all you doubters out there, remember, no one knows what you are shoving with. Looking forward to the course you and your better half are working on. Peace.

Miguel Chacon

Miguel Chacon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Really helpfull video for beginner this essential if you're planning to play SNGs reglarly I like SNGs a lot and it was really hard before I started to learn abput this strategy now is more fun and challenging to play this type of poker :D

Thanks CardsChat an Colling nice material here !

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A great lesson, reminding me that there is always more to learn about poker. Knowing how wide we should be shoving doesn't necessarily make it easier to do in the moment, especially at the micros, where its difficult to have accurate info on opponents, and players tend to not fold when its correct to do so.