Ace King short stack shove?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Did you notice the previous flops. If the previous flops had kings on it probably is a good idea to fold slick. Another way to tell is if you had slick before and won twice fold it the third time. A sixty percent win for slick is a good percentage.
lol. Ignore this, everyone.

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With that stack, I would shove 100% of the time. I would shove even if someone else shoved first. That's the hand you have been waiting for. If you are going to have a chance at making the final table, you have to go with that. No option. Well played.

B

brettlums

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you notice the previous flops. If the previous flops had kings on it probably is a good idea to fold slick. Another way to tell is if you had slick before and won twice fold it the third time. A sixty percent win for slick is a good percentage.

please never do this lol past flops have 0% factor into your current decision and odds

mistershrimpy

mistershrimpy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recently played a hand in a $0.55 buy-in knockout tournament on pokerstars. This hand occurs when we are already in the money and I've already made double my buy-in back from knockouts. Blinds: 500/1000 Ante: 150

UTG player with 160,000 chips raises to 2,500. Action folds round to me in late position, I look down at :as4: :kh4: and with only 17,000 chips behind I shove. I get called by the player on the button who has 27,000 and the big stack UTG folds. He shows AQo
:ad4:
Board comes:
:6s4::jc4::2c4::qs4::9d4:

He wins with a pair on the turn and I am out of the tournament, I realise I was a 75% favourite before the board ran out but what I would like to know is whether there is a better way to play AK/AQ in a short stack situation such as this? I always find myself shoving in these spots and I cant remember the last time I won the hand so much so I am starting to dread being dealt AK/AQ/AJ.

Any advice would be appreciated, cheers.
It seems to me that you did the right thing. I would do the same. But nothing can be done. This is his majesty random

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
its a hand to shove at that point, id do the same

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Correct play. I would shove. Hoping the caller something like Ax. Or just taking down the pot right there . If it’s a smaller pair you are still 50%
Not a fan of calling AK and letting more than one player see the flop
A tight preflop fold is okay if you are near the money and willing to see a few more orbits

Sakal1990

Sakal1990

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recently played a hand in a $0.55 buy-in knockout tournament on pokerstars. This hand occurs when we are already in the money and I've already made double my buy-in back from knockouts. Blinds: 500/1000 Ante: 150

UTG player with 160,000 chips raises to 2,500. Action folds round to me in late position, I look down at :as4: :kh4: and with only 17,000 chips behind I shove. I get called by the player on the button who has 27,000 and the big stack UTG folds. He shows AQo
Board comes:

He wins with a pair on the turn and I am out of the tournament, I realise I was a 75% favourite before the board ran out but what I would like to know is whether there is a better way to play AK/AQ in a short stack situation such as this? I always find myself shoving in these spots and I cant remember the last time I won the hand so much so I am starting to dread being dealt AK/AQ/AJ.

I think that you played it well but you were not lucky :mad:.I would do it the same ...

F

Fire_Womble

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you to everyone who has replied, I figured this was the correct play and what everyone has posted in here has confirmed that. I appreciate the feedback, its always good to hear that you're doing things right, variance is a bummer...

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ak

People go all in with AK all the time. I got knocked out of today's cc tourney by a all in AK to my QQ. He was gong all in every time so I took a chance. Of coarse I never hit when I play AK but it sure his often on me. Funny game this rigged online game. Thank God I don't take it serious. Entertaining is all

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People go all in with AK all the time. I got knocked out of today's cc tourney by a all in AK to my QQ. He was gong all in every time so I took a chance. Of coarse I never hit when I play AK but it sure his often on me. Funny game this rigged online game. Thank God I don't take it serious. Entertaining is all
Sounds like to take it seriously enough to complain and call it rigged.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In this particular case the only way to win the player with AQ could only be allowed to see it flop. Yesterday I flew from the tournament with QQ against AK. My opponent was the K on the river. I made all-in pre-flop raise. I had a small stack, and I didn’t want to spend a part of it on the call, when K or A. could come to the flop. I decided to maximize my chances and received a call in return. If I allowed to see the flop and even the turn would make him fold.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Damn this reply stings I shipped 23bb into a 2 bb raise from the BTN & lost obv. to 77 which is really a coin flip. It's kind of seen as a rule of thumb to shove 20 BB into AK & the more research I do the more your line makes sense contrary to the "common wisdom"
So never call a raise with AK? Just go all in every time or else you lose value?

He had 17 BB's, not 10. And the BB still has to act. He's not quite at that moment of desperation where he really needs to risk it all.

Villain raised UTG which indicates a strong hand. If villain was in a late position it's easier to jam because the raise can be made from a wider range. But UTG?

Sure, you can go all in. Without seeing anyone else's cards, AK wins about 66% of the time. My preference in that spot with 17BB's is to see a flop. If I lose, I'm not much worse off.

gaarsiass

gaarsiass

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
You played correctly, going all in with AK with such a small stack is a good decision. You also have to remember that this is a K.O tournament, so there is a high probability of calling by the opponent. However, with such a card you have a good chance to play, but not always.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Board comes:

The problem I have with shoving in general is that you reduce ways to win. You eliminate the chance of a villain folding. The second problem is you take away your ability to fold.

Yes, it is the correct play at certain times, but you do have options.

I could go in to the hand with AK deciding I'm going to go with AK, not going to fold. I could shove and I think you get called with AQ.

I could call the raise and shove 14k into a 7k pot which is a difficult call on that board for AQ.

I could re-raise to 7k which screams I have a huge hand and don't want to scare you off. Then shove on the flop which is again a difficult call for AQ on that board.

In either of these lines it would ultimately not change the outcome obviously, but you would win some of these pots by a villain folding.

If I have 160k and you shove 17k I'm going to call all day long with AQ. I have the chips, I will call off 10% of my stack with AQ. I would have a problem making a call of a pot size bet when I totally wiff.

P

peter bos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If i'm not so sure about winning the hand i will shove with ak shortstack.
When i have a real good feeling to hit the board i just play it slow and hope for more players in the hand.

marianexbj

marianexbj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, it seems to me a totally positive movement and it is the only one that you can make with 17bb carrying AK, and the best thing I paid you AQ, keep that you had 75% to win and that in the long run you will see that it begins to be noticed, the variance is time was against you and nothing to do. When you play well and it doesn't happen, you have to stay calm, it was correct how you played.