Is this a good MTT strategy if u wanna win ???

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Joined
May 28, 2006
Total posts
1,804
Hi Guys.

I have just been playing in a $20 buy in MTT @ Ladbrokes poker.

Me and one of their top guys who plays poker for a living - `decision` is his poker alias - were heads up early in a tourny. Here is what happened.

I am in late position with AQ hearts. A few check around to me, including this guy, so I raise 5 times bb. Everyone folds apart from Decision who calls. ( We are both on about same in chips) Flop Kc, Qc, Jh. He checks, so I raise size of pot (300 chips) he calls (the swine must have the K???). Next card Ac giving me 2 pair, A`s and J`s. he checks, I raise pot size again. He pushes me all in so I am thinking `flush` or AK (If AK I thought he would have raised pre flop) - but with four outs, and against a guy who will not be a top player only betting with the nuts, I call. He turns 2 pair K`s J`s. I am ahead with A`s J`s. He is on a flush draw with his K clubs. As it happens, he hits his draw and knocks me out!!!

The questions are:-
  1. Did I make the right call - My reading of the player was correct, I was ahead - but he could have easily had flush - chance I felt I had 2 take.
  2. Did he make the right call - Top player at Ladbrokes (check out their site, u will see!!!)
  3. Is this how to play MTT - take a chance like we both did hear, double up and you are away, but accept you could also be bust!!!
Comments, as always, appreciated.

Ronaldadio
 
robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Joined
May 25, 2005
Total posts
5,587
You need to provide us with full stack size / bet size details if you want a proper response.
 
C

colin_147

Guest
Joined
May 16, 2005
Total posts
708
Hey Ronaldio, I didnt notice you played at ladbrokes! I play there as well, though not as much these days (alias is colink24)

Decision is nearly always top of the annual leaderboard and is a very good player, as you rightly pointed out. I have come up against him on several occasions and have been on the receiving end a few times!

Decision must play on avergage 6 or 7 MTT's per day on Ladbrokes, so you can probably excuse the odd bad play here or there. i dont think this is a particularly good call from him pf and he loses to lots of hands on the flop too.

I think you played it pretty well overall and was unlucky to lose out at the end but he did have plenty of outs on the turn
 
Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Joined
May 28, 2006
Total posts
1,804
robwhufc said:
You need to provide us with full stack size / bet size details if you want a proper response.

Full stack size before betting about 1500 each
blinds 15/30
Pre flop - he had called 30. I raised to 150. he called (I`m AQ hearts, he KJo)
on flop - He checked, I raised about size of pot = about 300, he called (His 2 pair, top pair and bottom pair, me middle pair A kicker)
turn - He checks, I raise 500, he puts me all in another 400 to call or so, I call)

Hope this helps Rob
 
bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Joined
May 22, 2005
Total posts
10,637
Awards
1
Actually what happened between the both of you looks like what we all have done at some point. You take the chance. And sometimes you hit it as he did and sometimes you don't.
Even top players have to take a chance sometime. You know how he plays but he might not known with you. You also know that to be in his position, (top player), he doesn't do that alot.
 
woodsy44

woodsy44

Rock Star
Joined
Jun 10, 2005
Total posts
383
Ronaldadio said:
I am in late position with AQ hearts. A few check around to me, including this guy, so I raise 5 times bb. Everyone folds apart from Decision who calls. ( We are both on about same in chips) Flop Kc, Qc, Jh. He checks, so I raise size of pot (300 chips) he calls (the swine must have the K???). Next card Ac giving me 2 pair, A`s and J`s.

This makes no sense.
 
whyareunvs

whyareunvs

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Total posts
42
The reason...

it doesn't make sense is because you said you had AQ and made two pair A's and J's one of those two is wrong you either had AJ and made the stated two pair or you had AQ and made two pair A's and Q's.

If I were decision with two-pair and a flush draw I have a fair number of outs and I probably make the call. If I go broke I go broke but in most of the on-line MTT's (I have not played at ladbrokes) you have to push your chances in order to make the money.
 
Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Joined
May 28, 2006
Total posts
1,804
whyareunvs said:
it doesn't make sense is because you said you had AQ and made two pair A's and J's one of those two is wrong you either had AJ and made the stated two pair or you had AQ and made two pair A's and Q's.

If I were decision with two-pair and a flush draw I have a fair number of outs and I probably make the call. If I go broke I go broke but in most of the on-line MTT's (I have not played at ladbrokes) you have to push your chances in order to make the money.

I c, sorry, I had AQ not AJ. And I think u gave me an answer. From time to time in a MTT u need to take a risk. Thanks
 
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Total posts
13,642
Ronaldadio;
Just to make things clear and easier for fellow CC'ers to understand, read this thread[old link~tb] and post a hand history with your question. It'll give us much more detail and info for making a comment or analysis.

As for your example above which I'm pretty sure I understand, I think it was a pretty dangerous flop (flush possibility, also 1 to a straight), but sometimes you just have to take risks in MTTs. I suppose it depends on your read of the opponent, and whether you think he's bluffing the flush/straight or not.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
U

unlucky

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Total posts
42
At the time the money went in You had the best hand nothing more you can do. Good read, bad luck
 
Top