amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short stack in a tourney. 7 places to cash. I get pocket 88. All fold to me and I go all in. Small blind calls with Q 8 off suit. Rivers a straight. Seems to happen a lot, either straight or flush. Is this a hand I should have folded or just bad luck?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I suggest that you spend some time looking at the hand strategy subforums on here. You've presented a very general situation where it's not possible to say how you should have played. Stack sizes, blind levels, table size, prize payout structure, and position are some of the things to consider when making a choice like this.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well being short stacked you have to make your shove sooner than later, with most of the table folded, I would make do the same thing all day long

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short stack in a tourney. 7 places to cash. I get pocket 88. All fold to me and I go all in. Small blind calls with Q 8 off suit. Rivers a straight. Seems to happen a lot, either straight or flush. Is this a hand I should have folded or just bad luck?
When you are short stacked, you can't play normal skilled game. You have to depend on luck. I think what you did is right. Unfortunately it did not work.

Short stack itself is a problem.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You had the right move. But everything always depends on many factors in the game.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you were the shortest stack and shoved 1-2 people, then in general there is no mistake. especially if there was no way to wait for a better hand and the stack was very small. just unlucky, it happens, good luck)

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you get into the prizes in the event of a fold, you should fold.
Usually the small stack loses before the prizes.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If this is a knockout tournament then pushing is correct. If this is a regular tournament, then instead of pushing, you can make a min-raise and fold to push. Especially if there is a bubble stage.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
100% Correct Play

Dont be too hard on yourself, you made the exact, correct all in and was just hit by bad luck.

If you did this 100 hands in a row with the same cards, you would win the majority of the time.

Regardless of cashing or trying to get ITM, players need to think long term and further than just making the cut, sometimes it is this mentality that holds us back and we become tight and nitty - i know from experience myself at times lol !

Chin up and theres always next time!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends. As the overwhelming rule 88 is an open jam from any seat on the table when short stacked, and it does not matter, if its on the bubble or anything else. On the bubble people will tend to call off less liberally, so if anything you should shove wider and not tighter. Under some really rare surcumstances, it could be a fold though. That would be if:

a) You are so short, that at least big blind will always call you

b) Your stack is way below the tournament average, so even if you dubble up, you will rarely get more than a min-cash anyway

c) You can be almost 100% certain, that you will be in the money, before you need to pay the blinds again

You are not telling us, if the above was the case, but since it was SB, who called you, and not big blind, you probably just ran into someone making a bad call, who then got lucky on you. And thats fine. Bad beats are part of poker, and 2 out of 3 times this situation will end with you more than dubbling your stack, which bubble or not is a great outcome. When playing MTTs our goal should be the highest possible ROI over a sample of 1.000s of them, not to min-cash in any individual one.

M

Memphis legend

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JUST BAD LUCK. I think you made the right decision, and that's all its about

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you're out of luck, keep doing it

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you played well and lose a hand where you had 70% of chances of winning. middle pairs arent easy to play postflop so you should play them aggresively preflop specially if you have a short stack.