66, 77, 88, with limpers?

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friends, I would ask, that line is best in this situation, for example, on the button with 66 77 88, with one or two limpers, all are between 35 and 40 bb, it is best to call, or better option to rol x4, x5 or x6, I try to steal chips or insulate against a player.
They believe it is the best move?

gI :D

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Question!

With 66, 77 , 88, and with say two limpers, no more, I would raise from the button, I would raise at least 1/2 the pot, providing my bank allows. If raised, think about folding, if short on $, think about AI. I, in most cases, would either raise or fold for sure. Never a free card unless I have the nuts...no matter what. I think. :tomato:

Minus272c

Minus272c

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In those spots im just calling to get a cheap flop and hit a set :D

Problem is when you raise and get called, its hard to play a middle pair
in a multiway pot.

If im down to 20bb stack or lower. ill jam it on top of the limpers.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At this kind of blind level I'm just taking advantage of the decent pot odds and great implied odds and calling to see a cheap flop and hopefully hit my set or 3 low cards on a dry flop. I don't see these mid-low pocket pairs as good enough to reraise; they don't play well post-flop and, as I play micros or freerolls, I would have to risk a lot of chips putting in a big bet to have any chance of chasing any of the limpers out of the pot.

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, except for a bluff, I never raise when there is a good chance of a reraise. If I don't feel my hand will stand up to a reraise I'm just bleeding my stack on a semi-bluff. I might just limp with the crowd and see if I hit, if overcards pop, i'm packing my bags after the first big bet. Good luck

Malnitruth

Malnitruth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cheap flop seems the best option there imho

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i just call and hope for the set. if the board flops bad for me i can get out cheap. however if i have raised i may have priced myself into calling another bet and chance losing more. now if im heads up i may raise then play a high card flop like it hit me.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I probably call the blind and limp simply because multiple callers and want to see a cheap flop.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s depends on what kind of players you dealing with. If they are lose call. If they fold a lot on raises then go all in to take their limping chips. Next time they will think twice to limp and try to see flop. If someone calls your shove you still got nice chance to win. Raise for me is not a good idea, because if on the flop came bigger card, you will probably loose that pot. So,call or all in

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not only is what kind of opponents we are dealing with important but what stage of the tournament also factors into the decision to be made.

We aren't super deep so I would just try and see a cheap flop and then hope to hit a set or try and steal post-flop if no aggression is shown.

Unimproved and someone calls our steal attempt on the flop I will just fold.

Raising gets us into too much trouble and our hand isn't strong enough to like this scenario.

P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would also limp in and try to hit a set.
When missed im out of there.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I rarely just limp along but with a hand like this I may actually do it. It really depends on the players who have limper already. If they are very loose and call happy I will just call behind and set mine. I they are good players who can fold there junkier hands to my raise I will raise it up every time and hope to win the blinds or just get it heads up in position.

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all...depends on players...better players will respect a 4or 5x raise, average or less will call any...thanks darrell

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, except for a bluff, I never raise when there is a good chance of a reraise. If I don't feel my hand will stand up to a reraise I'm just bleeding my stack on a semi-bluff. I might just limp with the crowd and see if I hit, if overcards pop, i'm packing my bags after the first big bet. Good luck
good advice. I too like the limp in this situation hoping for that magical set. However if i did decide to raise it would be to trap if i hit the set or to steal the pot if im checked too. It really depend what i can make believable depending on the flop and the fact that i raised on the button. However this can be dangerous. You have to know your opponents and how they would play from their position.

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the stage of the game, the position ..if there is 40BB it is better not to risk with such cards ..suitable common number or 3 raise..again, it depends on the position

giraug

giraug

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It will depend on many factors.
If all players with similar stack, I would see the flop and if I hit a set or no higher cards on flop... maybe go for it.
If I have much more chips than other players I would raise x4 or x5... trying to take them out of the hand.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With small pocket pairs, I try to enter the game limp. Small pocket pairs need to be played passively, and try as cheap as possible to see the flop.

O

Otustas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

That's exactly how I feel I should play... but do not. :mad:

In that case I still feel like I would have tried to set a flop but whenever I put money in the pot I become too attached to my hands :(

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this depends on the villans, if they play fit or fold, or if they are going to float, and if they will fold to your raise. I generally prefer to overlimp and hope to hit the set- you have position and a hand thats pretty easy to walk away from.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Typical game is to limp, and hope for a set or straight (draw).
When short stacked, it's either shove or fold, depending table image of limpers and remaining players.

fa1920

fa1920

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would opt for the limp, I see it more profitable certainly. 66-77-88 is not a valued hand by which you want to raise against several limpers

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best move is the implied odds move. 88,77 are low cards 66 are "baby" cards. They will probably not fold to a 4x and you will very likely be checked to on the flop with over cards on the board in a difficult situation. Just limp and look for a set with these cards. If the pot is 14% of your stack or bigger and you get checked to then c bet to take it down. If the pot is smaller than 14% of your stack or you don't need the amount of BB in the pot for the MTT then check to draw to entire stack implied odds set. Don't raise with these hands they ruin your set trap,overcards statically almost always show up and you have inflated the pot and put yourself in difficult drawing thin if they hit their over card pairs. Or if they 4 bet shove then you are playing the weaker end of your hands playability that is crushed or flipping at best.

The great thing about a set is your opponent usually only needs TPOK or TPGK to call off their entire stack.

L

LongRover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The pairs divide. AA, KK and QQ are high; JJ, TT, 99, 88 and 77 are middles; and 66, 55, 44, 33 and 22 are low pairs. 77/88 and 66 differ in pair brackets. Mid/low pairs often call for separate strategies, but that of 77/88 and 66 is similar.

66 limps: in feuds with others, outcomes are unclear. 66 win% is 56 - it wins 5600 of 10,000 hands. 66 loss% is 44 - it loses 4400 of 10,000 hands. There is 56% chance of winning and 44% chance of losing. Likewise, 77/88 win% is 70 - it wins 7,000 of 10,000 hands. 77/88 loss% is 30 - it loses 3,000 of 10,000 hands. There is 70% chance of winning and 30% chance of losing.

Limping is weakness, uncertainty and stealth. The danger is opponents using stealth to hide strength. Stealing with mid/low pairs risk running into stronger cards - leaving too much to chance in a skill game. Call pre-flop since raising such pairs escalates stack risks. Reach the flop for free when all check around, if possible, or cheap when bets are low.

Low pairs want to trip on the flop if it fails a steal pre-flop. If nothing trips, check, hoping for a free ride to the turn. If a player raises, or another re-raises, or if cards with higher win values than 66 present, then fold - since the potential to lose is seen in raises and re-raises of opponents and visible in the cards on the felt. It can be costly to chase missed pre-flop steals and missed trips on flop.

If a pair trips on the flop, the odds of winning climb. But, the next move is critical. Low trips are strong, but being low, are vulnerable to overhands like higher trips, straights, flushes and others. So, take a look at the board and analyze the flop well. If the potential to win is clear, then aggressively increase high betting in order to raise opponents out. Actively avoid going to the turn or river. Slow playing low trips can invite disaster for reasons above.

Position counts with mid/low pairs. It reveals players and folders; betters, raisers and re-raisers. It gives style data. Early limps can suffer losses to stacks. Later players have data availability, but this does not guarantee wins. Many fold 77/88 and 66 since the chance of losing is high. The problem with stats is they cannot tell you "when" a win or loss happens. So, if you play 77/88 or 66, be more careful than carefree. Playing hole cards with mid/low win percentages like 88/77 or 66 depends on strategy in the kind of game you play, e.g., cash game or tournament; or, e.g., your game position - early, mid or late; or your stack size, your opponents' stacks and pot size. Playing short stacks can put your game or tournament at immediate or imminent risk, as does playing against opponent deep stacks or large pots. This data and knowing how to use it is important to analysis and decision-making when playing pairs with low win percentages. So, despite their respective places in pair divides, similarities in playing the mid pairs 77/88 and low pair 66 should be clear.

Best Advice: Despite all possibilities - do not try to steal the blinds. Limp, but be prepared for quick fold at whatever stage...

Last edited:
P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friends, I would ask, that line is best in this situation, for example, on the button with 66 77 88, with one or two limpers, all are between 35 and 40 bb, it is best to call, or better option to rol x4, x5 or x6, I try to steal chips or insulate against a player.

I think I would make a three bet by making 3 BB+ 1BB by limpers

P

pecam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You can also just pay the blind because you have the position and try to make a big pot if you find your card on the flop