The 5 minute break

P

pokeflee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actully i also could use a 10 minute break to empty my mind and start "fresh" again. Especially in the end it can get very stressy. Take a coffie, smoke outside and use the wc. :)

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think depends on the session, sometimes i need more time, to prepare food and eat, i´ve been in mtt lasting more than 5 hours and a 5 minutes break is not enough to do all the things i need, so i get me playing automatically or just sitting out for a bunch of hands, then i use the replay to see all the hands that i lose and time to time i get mad when i see that i´ve dealt good hands in this period that i´ve been out, therefore, it could be a longer break, say 15 minutes every two short breaks

chory1414

chory1414

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After the hand for hand the 5 minute break is good for me. Usually do some push ups and sit ups and think about my next moves

Zelikis

Zelikis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
5 minute break is just what we need. Because in this break I go WC and make caffe :D

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i hate it when the tourney starts at 45 minutes past the hour, you get dealt 2 hands and BAM!!! break.:thumpdown

Yeah but there is no other solution. Thank God now there are synchronized breaks in almoust all rooms.

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes its too long, sometimes its too short :) depends on what you want, or have to do during that break :) Sometimes I dont even move from PC so its long for me :) But sometimes I want to make some snack for me or to take a sh1t and its too short :D

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
5 minutes is fine, unless you are short or way short then its too long.....5 minutes is not good enough when your stack is HUGE....Could do with 10 mins then just sit and marvel in your genius while sipping on a cold one......hahaha......nah maybe 7 mins would be just perfecto, time to do something other than a pee and fridge dash.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
do you guys actually want to finish the tournament? 10m or 15m for every hour is way too long.

My thoughts exactly, 5 mins is plenty of time, and no breaks on FT unless it goes on for hours.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer the break to be 10 or maybe 15 minutes long, it will be enough time for everything.

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The frequency of once an hour if perfect I think. 5 min is sometimes a bit too short though, but it's ok... it's enough for a smoke or bathroom, but not both :p

MrBluntz

MrBluntz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Leave it how it is, am I the only one who sometimes find their selves at the screen itching for the final minute or so to be over? Especially deep when I'm really focused on the game.

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
5 mins is plenty of time every hour. If you were playing live for hours on end its good to take a 15 minute break every couple of hours, get up stretch, walk around for a minute, but when playing online breaks are usually synchronized and 5 mins on the hour is plenty(imo).

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i hate 5 minutes breaks when the tourneys has just started. for example when a MTT started at 17.45 and then after 10 minutes there is a break. it should pass at least 30 minutes to stop the game. IMO breaks should be every 90 or 120 minutes, and last 10 or 15 minutes. 5 minutes is not enough time however if breaks last 10 minutes after 1 hour it would be 50 minutes of play and 10 minutes of break, making MTT very tedious to play.

MrBluntz

MrBluntz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i hate 5 minutes breaks when the tourneys has just started. for example when a MTT started at 17.45 and then after 10 minutes there is a break. it should pass at least 30 minutes to stop the game. IMO breaks should be every 90 or 120 minutes, and last 10 or 15 minutes. 5 minutes is not enough time however if breaks last 10 minutes after 1 hour it would be 50 minutes of play and 10 minutes of break, making MTT very tedious to play.

The point of breaks going like this is because they are sycronized so all tourneys go on break at the same time every hour, for those who multi table this is more important so if they are in more than one tourney it goes on break at same time no matter the start time.

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10 min its good but not gonna happend :D

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The point of breaks going like this is because they are sycronized so all tourneys go on break at the same time every hour, for those who multi table this is more important so if they are in more than one tourney it goes on break at same time no matter the start time.

In that case all tourneys should be starting at 1700, or 17.15, so you can multi table and have sycronized breaks. if pokerstars, full tilt, or any other poker site create a tourney at 17.45, most people wouldnt like to stop at 17.55, so if you want to play on those tourneys it should take more than 60 minutes to sycronize the breaks. in this case 70 minutes which it isnt a big deal if you are multi tabling.

Last edited:
SANDYHOOKER KY

SANDYHOOKER KY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't help ya with the break time being 5 minutes, but i make and sell the 'online poker player booths', designed with the online grinder in mind. Felt lined with assorted pictures of skimpily clad ladies,[ or guys for the gals], built in potty, telephone service, a nice coffee maker, tea maker for the British, a pull-up bar to exercise, over-head exhaust fan for the heavy smoker,and a life size figure of Bin-Laden to punch when those bad beats come around. Only $9999.99, free shipping.

B

BiGmIc78

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely to short. Ten minutes would be great.

M

Misdir

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because poker is so intense and sometimes impossible to leave monitor, 5 minutes is not long enough to get moving enough to last another hour, mo

MrBluntz

MrBluntz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In that case all tourneys should be starting at 1700, or 17.15, so you can multi table and have sycronized breaks. if pokerstars, full tilt, or any other poker site create a tourney at 17.45, most people wouldnt like to stop at 17.55, so if you want to play on those tourneys it should take more than 60 minutes to sycronize the breaks. in this case 70 minutes which it isnt a big deal if you are multi tabling.

I see what you are saying, basically all tourneys should start on the hour? I don't know if I agree or disagree with that, or their reasoning for starting on like 0:30, 0:45

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I like 5 mins. I have started doing it for my cash grinding sessions as well, treating them like an MTT. I always make myself get a snack and a drink, maybe do a bit of exercise or go to the toilet as well. The theory is that if I don't get the maximum out of my 5 minutes then it puts me behind somebody else who did.

I actually ended up at a final table of an MTT I fell asleep during once. I believe the rest helped me in the final stages although I had significantly less chips. Breaks definitely help my game, sometimes I will just take them anyway even if it means sitting out a few hands because it is better than playing tired and tilting.

R

ravpl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes i don't need break but on the other sides sometimes is too short for example preparing food... 10 min looks good..

T

Titleist1977

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The five minute break is ok but sometimes it would be nice for it to be about 10 mins or so!!!