38BB all in with 4 outs. Did you feel that you need to fold with an 85% chance?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only thing, that matter in poker, is our own decision making, and in this hand the only interesting point is preflop. Do we just call, as you did, and invite a multiway pot, where TT is mostly going to be a setmining hand? Or do we 3-bet to knock some opponents out of the hand? I kind of lean towards 3-betting, but flatting is certainly +EV as well. And after that decision was made, the hand played itself. Did not work out for you this time, but such is poker.

hands like this happen to everyone and not only in freerolls. This one is from a 3$ SnG, that I played on 888 Poker yesterday. 3 hands into the SnG I flopped a set but ended up losing to a runner, runner straight, because my opponent decided to go crazy with ace high and some backdoors.

And while it was obviously a bit of a "WTF???" moment, when I saw, how I lost, I am happy, he played like this. I got my chips in with more than 90% equity, and that means, I won, just not this time. This was an online SnG, so I simply registered for the next one, and a few minutes later I had another table up and running.

CardsChat Poker Hands Converter

Ellvira

Ellvira

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't even have time to understand why do this in a Cardschat tournament? It would be interesting if this player was found and answered in the comments.
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/924TtNzoX
hi friend, as I understand you, if I get a set from the flop, I want to throw it out, so how do I necessarily get under the street or even worse, the senior set

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dislike this flat so much. i don't even want to set mine with 10s. i think its best to 3bet to take the pot down preflop or to reduce the field. with 4 other players in the hand, you really don't want to see any overs on the flop. what if the flop was 7-j-q and 99 jammed?

with 10s, you get a ton of value from smaller pairs when you 3bet and they call. you crush them when the flop is low and they call down your cbets or they lead out. with 33 bbs, 10s are a hand i'm willing to 3bet/call jam with as well. you're a ~55% against 66+, all broadways, a8s+. 60% if villain jams 22+. so, i'm willing play for stacks with 10s here.

if you had a smaller pair, like 55 or 66, i think set mining is fine. you don't want to 3bet and bloat the pot only to see a scary flop. nor do you want to be 4bet jammed out of the hand preflop, unless you're willing to call off 33 bbs with 55 preflop. 10s is different. you want to take the pot down pre, reduce the field pre, or stack off pre. limping in does non of that.

of course, this is how i would play 10s here. i'm not saying this is what you or others should do. and i'm not saying flatting 10s are bad here, if that's what you want to do. i can understand a conservative approach to the hand to preserve your stack if things dont go well.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
and i'm not saying limping 10s are bad here

Just for the record there was a min-raise, so it was not a limped pot. If it was a limped pot, then raising is 100% mandatory in my opinion. But against a minraise I guess, its sort of ok to just call, even though I would personally 3-bet here at least 90% of the time. The situations, I would not 3-bet, would be with a really nitty UTG opener or something similar.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just for the record there was a min-raise, so it was not a limped pot. If it was a limped pot, then raising is 100% mandatory in my opinion. But against a minraise I guess, its sort of ok to just call, even though I would personally 3-bet here at least 90% of the time. The situations, I would not 3-bet, would be with a really nitty UTG opener or something similar.
that would make sense as you can't 3bet a limped pot. edited.

there are few times i wouldn't 3bet here, like a nitty opener or being on the ft bubble with a super short stack in game, satellite bubble and i have a seat locked in. maybe a few other situations, but i think i'm 3betting majority of the time here.

i feel like this is just one of those hands/situations where a player can go either route. i can see arguments for flatting or 3 betting, it comes down to personal preference. i don't mind taking the risky route because of the huge payoffs if i hold. at the same time, i think if a player wants to be safer and not commit their stack unless its a sure thing or if they have a much stronger hand, that's fine as well. staying alive in mtts means you're still in it.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
flatting TT's here is controversial, I like it though! the other player is a donk, long live donks! not much to say here

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
flatting TT's here is controversial, I like it though! the other player is a donk, long live donks! not much to say here

Agree with your entire post. I don't like 3betting TTs except in rare situations where I have a solid read on the opening villain, there are 1-2 max opponents, and they have opened from late position. Your going to get called by all sorts of hands, and about 65% of the time the flop is going to have one or more AKQs on it. Where are you at? looking to fold as soon as one of the villains cbets.

The hand in question - same as AZ said - long live da donks!!

Folding in Poker