3-bet versus shove

C

Cap_Scarlet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder what the wisdom is on 3-bet versus shoving?

Following are a couple of situations where I have stacked off completely. Both situations I was c. 40 bb deep (roughly average stack).

Position 1: I am the SB with AKo, UTG raises to 2 x BB and there are 3 callers ahead of me. I don't want to play a pot out of position against 4 opponents so I shove. Two callers show 77 and 99. I miss the flop and I'm out.

Position 2: Again I am in the SB with 77. CO raises to 2.2x BB and I shove. BB who covers me calls with 99 ......

I think position 2 was clearly an error on my part but position 1? If I get called I think I'm in good shape. If I was in the position of one of the callers with mid-pairs am I happy to play for my tournament life with mid-pairs to a shove?

Should I limit my shove's to positions where I am clearly under more chip pressure (10-20 bb's)?

Would be interested in peoples thoughts.

S

SharkyShark1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would put in a 3 bet in most of these situations. AK is a good hand, but if you miss the flop you don't have to commit more chips. And yeah you are right, its more a 10-20 BB shove in my eyes with that many callers.

rabman50

rabman50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the first situation you can 3bet to 10bb and expect to get a lot of folds. UTG is not capped but the two callers are not showing much strength making this a perfect squeeze spot. When you get two callers you can slow down post flop and still have a 30bb stack.
In the second situation I would just call with 40bb. If I don't hit my set on the flop it is easy to fold and still have a 37bb stack.