3-bet light in tournaments

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The light 3-bet can be a very important weapon to get more chips in the tournament.

Before making this play you should know your opponent and keep in mind what kind of hands he is opening from that position.

The recommended thing is to 3-bet light against the middle table positions MP1, MP2, MP3, CUT-OFF and BUTTON, in this move you are risking your chips so the ideal is that you do it against only one opponent, of course you doesn't want to get called, let alone get a 4-bet or all-in.

I particularly like to make this move with Axs or sometimes with Kxs for example:

A3s
A4s
A5s
A6s
A7s
A8s
A10s
K8s
K9s
K10s

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like it! What sizing do you go with if you are betting from the blinds versus late positions?

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
One of the keys to successfully using light 3bets is knowing how to play big pots well. This requires reads. You need to understand the principles of pot control and your image. The only thing that can be recommended here is to go and train. You can go down to the limit if you are scared. And I am sure that you will achieve the desired results. The hands you should 3-bet with are the ones that have the potential to win you big pots. For example, 78(s), 33, etc. Also those hands that have a lot of showdown value like AQ, KQ(s), etc. The position should also be taken into account. Players raise on the button with a much wider range than from early position. Also, when you have position, you control the pot.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You're absolutely right that you should know your opponent. Players with a wide range can be attacked aggressively, while nits should be given a very wide berth when they enter a pot. Low suited Aces and Kings are great cards to 3-bet, because you block a lot of their stronger hands, like AA, KK and AK. Although, I would argue that ATs, KTs and K9s are too strong to 3bet bluff with. I prefer a call with these hands because you want to play pots with them in position.

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This play is very profitable, and applying them on the right moments will get u far on tournaments.
I always (mostly) use blockers, and rarely 3bet light versus players who will never fold.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
When you do 3-bet, your range should be balanced between premium hands like JJ+, AQs+, AKo and some bluffs like the hands that you already mentioned, GTO speaking this is a must. Now with these marginal hands you have to be a good player post-flop because they don't play well, like K8s, K9s, A8s, A7s, A6s. You have to think about villain calling range when you 3-bet, he may call with KQs, AJo, medium pocket pairs and many time you're behind unless you hit the flop with 2 pairs or better.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if against one opponent what about hands likeJ 10s, J 9s,J 8s,J 7s, Q10s, Q9s, Q 8s ?