3-Bet Calling Ranges

L

linda1963

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With how much of your opening range do you call a 3-bet? I realise this is dependent on sizing, perceived 3-bet ranges etc, but I was just wondering what is the widest I can reasonably defend?:confused::confused:

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm not mistaken, you need to protect 35-40% of the opened hands so that the fold to 3bet is not exploitable. Look for articles or tutorials on the internet, this is not a topic for two minutes, you need to sit and figure it out ...

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My opening range varies based on the opponents on my left.

My 3bet calling range varies based on my opponents 3betting range.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I defend 35 - 45% of my range against 3-betting. Defend less OOP and more IP.

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My range varies depending on the kind of table I’m playing at. If the tables agresssive then I change up my game n I do a lot more raising. If the table is strong but tight I don’t do a lot of three betting unless I have a strong hand

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What everyone said so far is good, but for me it is also more about table dynamics and players in the hand or left to act than about the exact cards. For example, say I open raise UTG and a TAG in UTG +1 3-bets me (several players left to act after them too), I'm more inclined to fold than say, I open UTG and a LAG in CO 3-bets me.

Players types and cards is part of it, but we also have to go with the UTG +1 range being a little more cautious than a later position seat like CO which is prone to blind steal. If UTG +1 3-bets us, then they are more likely to be 4-bet or 5-bet based on how aggressive/passive the table is playing, but more players left to act after them should ideally mean they play a more straight-forward (narrower usually) range of hands.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What everyone said so far is good, but for me it is also more about table dynamics and players in the hand or left to act than about the exact cards. For example, say I open raise UTG and a TAG in UTG +1 3-bets me (several players left to act after them too), I'm more inclined to fold than say, I open UTG and a LAG in CO 3-bets me.

Players types and cards is part of it, but we also have to go with the UTG +1 range being a little more cautious than a later position seat like CO which is prone to blind steal. If UTG +1 3-bets us, then they are more likely to be 4-bet or 5-bet based on how aggressive/passive the table is playing, but more players left to act after them should ideally mean they play a more straight-forward (narrower usually) range of hands.

Right on. We can use pot odds, MDF (min. defense frequency), and our favorite EV calculation to help us.

But without a good understanding of our opponent range or hand possibilities, we cannot begin to estimate our equity, and without an equity estimate, none of the math matters. It is all about our opponent.

Good luck and God Bless.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Personally, my 3-bet call range is around 10% it also depends on the profile of the opposing player

M

Medina

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I give 3bet in a very tight range, but not in every case.
I have two categories, Important and less important tournaments.(Freeroll with many players).
In important tournaments it is from JJ upwards, and AK, AKo.
On less important tournaments, a little loose: all pocket pairs,KQs, AJs, AQs, AKs.
If my opponent has fewer stacks, I always play loose range.