MP1: 1,500 (75 bb)
MP2: 1,500 (75 bb)
MP3: 1,500 (75 bb)
CO: 1,500 (75 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is UTG with K
diamond.gif
K
club.gif

Hero raises to 80, 4 folds, CO raises to 140, 3 folds, Hero raises to 1,500 and is all-in, CO calls 1,360 and is all-in

Flop: (3,030) J
heart.gif
J
club.gif
heart.gif
(2 players, 2 are all-in)
Turn: (3,030) T
heart.gif
River: (3,030) 7
heart.gif

Results: 3,030 pot
Hero showed K
diamond.gif
K
club.gif
(two pairs, Kings and Jacks) and lost (-1,500 net)
CO showed T
club.gif
Q
heart.gif
(a flush, Queen high) and won 3,030 (1,530 net)

M

MaxxxW

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well not a mistake at all but u have du calculate that the risk even with KK is like 70:30 and especially for tournament play you should think twice risking everything for one Board

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For this buy-in level, if you can get all the chips in w/ KK preflop then it isn't a bad play.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Getting it all in here was not such a huge mistake, in fact not really a mistake at all, but consider this;

If you had tempered the hand with some pot control, you wouldn't have lost your whole stack to the toyota (4 runner).

As this was the first hand, why not approach it a bit differently in that you might control your risk a bit, and thus enjoy the game a bit more, it the total pot only gets to maybe 1/3 your starting stack. OK, 1/2;)

C

cardsDontMatter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gotta agree with DJ... you asked for all 5 cards and got them. Then I would go right back to the table and Note the asswipe that called with QTo as a player who may, in other games, give you all his chips.

This play is something I see on Final Tables all the time, and the adage, "win a small pot or lose a big one" fits so well in so many places.

So, as dj says, pot control is the job of the person with the best hand... you gave this away.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't mind that you got it all in as a huge favorite here. In a $2.00 tournament people will look you up with all kinds of garbage so that is okay. The play speaks for itself that you were called by Q10.

On the flip side, Tournaments are about survival and you can't win on the first hand but you can lose. so maybe raising a little smaller preflop for your 3bet to like 300-400 might be a better idea in the future.

KardKlub

KardKlub

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seens he was going to call you with anything anyway, the flop would have just tempted him more. So what would you have done after the flop if you just called his raise? Thats how you know if you played it bad. All in is just Lotto, you maybe ahead at the start but it's along way to the finish when you elect to show all 5 cards.

Just to mention
Calling people all in with short stacks can prove a bad move too as if the flop didn't suit them they may have folded and not beat you with an amazing comeback flush, trip 2's or a straight.

something to think about

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The other guy is not a good player and there is no way he would have folded after the flop if he was calling all in pre-flop. However, the thing toremember with KK is that any ace is only a moderate underdog. Personally, I don't like to push with kings until the flop show s no ace.

G

gns2003

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Technically, you should follow the advice of the players who are far better than I am on here and only reraise to 1/3 of pot. That is the right way to play. But if it were me, I would do exactly what you had done in this specific case. For $2, you will get a call by a bunch of hands that you will dominate. I find the rest of the tournament much easier to play with a fast double and a better chance to control the cash. If you only go with a 1/3 stack raise and villian calls, then what do you do post flop. Chances are high that he's going all in on that flop (very LAG to begin with) and you would generally call with that board. Or you could fold post flop, but thats an invite to get run over again and again by people who wont respect your raises.
Better luck next time.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WTF, this thread is tilting me.

KK positively crushes any hand other than AA. 4-bet size is a little large but who cares. Getting the money in this good is great and almost never happens. WP NH sir.

J

Joe Hogg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
you shouldnt even post that question no it is not the wrong move. You will take his money 9 times out of 10. Keep putting it in ahead and you'll be ahead.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you raise to something like 500 there. This hand just turned into a bad beat because they called with garbage but in most instances, I would think people would fold.

By raising to something like 500 and shoving the flop, you reduce your risk and get called more often which will often lead to a bigger profit over the long run. Of course, if you know you're going to get called, shoving preflop with KK is fine.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands