WOW! did i play this hand wrong?

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry but the converter says wrong format. PLEASE review this hand.

Hand#266597736E000013 - $2 NLH Double-up T9925486 -- Table 1 -- 0/15/30 NL Hold'em -- 2011/07/23 - 15:09:16
Seat 1: fqui***1 (1,370 in chips)
Seat 2: blikbleek (1,475 in chips)
Seat 3: Grom***3 (1,410 in chips) DEALER
Seat 4: Mell***4 (1,390 in chips)
Seat 6: mati***6 (1,470 in chips)
Seat 7: koob***7 (1,517 in chips)
Seat 8: atis***8 (1,628 in chips)
Seat 9: Kurl***9 (1,845 in chips)
Mell***4: posts small blind 15
Serg***: posts big blind 30
Dealt to blikbleek [Jh,Js]
mati***6: folds
koob***7: calls 30
atis***8: folds
Kurl***9: folds
RVOR***: folds
fqui***1: folds
blikbleek: raises to 60
Grom***3: folds
Mell***4: folds
Serg***: folds
koob***7: calls 30
*** FLOP *** [Jc,8h,6s]
koob***7: checks
blikbleek: checks
*** TURN *** [7c]
koob***7: bets 30
blikbleek: calls 30
*** RIVER *** [4c]
koob***7: bets 120
blikbleek: raises to 240
koob***7: is all in 1,307
blikbleek: is all in 1,145
koob***7: returns uncalled bet 42
blikbleek: shows [Jh Js]
koob***7: shows [5d Ah]
***SHOW DOWN***
koob***7 wins 2,995 with Straight Eight high
blikbleek finished 10 out of 10 players.

if you dont feel like reading the hand. basically i hit three of a kind jacks on the flop with all undercards all the way to the river. i slow played and got beat by villain with a straight to the eight

Last edited:
blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have 2 thoughts.

1. i should have done more than min raise preflop

2. i shouldnt have let him see free cards. but how could i really expect him to beat me with all those undercards.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, you let him in and allowed him to take it. I can see letting the turn come but at that point a straight AND a flush draw is staring at you. Need to force a mistake by making the next card for them cost prohibitive.

And yeah, that is definitely not how play JJ preflop. You allowed him to cheap in with the card that could beat you - an ace. Ironically it was his weak kicker that you could have chased away preflop that beat you.

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this was a DoN by the way and it was early so my logic for a slow play was to try to make something big happen. it did. but not for me.

and also, i would have put him on a pair or 2 pair.

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, you let him in and allowed him to take it. I can see letting the turn come but at that point a straight AND a flush draw is staring at you. Need to force a mistake by making the next card for them cost prohibitive.

yea i guess your right. i actually wasnt focused on the straight draw or flush draw, perhaps experience will make me spot these things better.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

yea i guess your right. i actually wasnt focused on the straight draw or flush draw, perhaps experience will make me spot these things better.

Yeah, takes see a bunch of flops. Just get in the habit of resetting your point of view on the hand each time card(s) are exposed. A new card is going to change the value of your hand AND your opponents.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
first off.. what is up with the 'minraise' preflop? (I'll see players doing this occassionally & my first thoughts are > "wtf kind of hand does a 'minraise' over a limper?" (because I seriously can't think of any hand I would ever do this with EVER! ????).
In early levels, raise it up 3xbb "+" 1bb for each limper (if out of pos., raise it up 4x +1bb for each limper). In later levels.. maybe 2.5x +1bb (if that's your standard opening raise size).

You flop great! (obv) play your big hands fast! (ie. on spots where you flop a set & say there's a Ace on the flop.. this is ideal time to bet, bet, bet (< Fred Flinstone).... if they don't have an Ace you're not going to get much anyways (or in other spots, if they haven't connected with the flop).

I will rarely ever slowplay. Think about it....if you wiff the flop & are hu vs villain, you're likely c-betting (in most/many cases)... so should you be doing so when you flop a monster. Question: would you bet this flop had you missed it? (w AK, etc.)

Last edited:
Kanivision

Kanivision

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have 2 thoughts.

1. i should have done more than min raise preflop

2. i shouldnt have let him see free cards. but how could i really expect him to beat me with all those undercards.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have 2 thoughts.

but how could i really expect him to beat me with all those undercards.

Basically you stopped playing defense because you flopped a monster.

You were staring at a straight draw on the flop - a straight draw that you allowed into the hand preflop.
Think about what kind of hands will limp in and the call your minraise. Small pairs, suited connectors, suited gappers, Ax, paint, etc.

Then the turn added a flush draw, along with increasing the probability of a straight.

THEN you flat call the turn instead of making him risk more than he should have to see the river and complete his draw

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
When you click-raise the river & villain shoves... what do we still beat? (it's a DoN, fold & we still have 40bb's)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands