Would you go all in on a flush draw?

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was playing in a large field, cheap buy in tournie at stars last night. i had just grinded my way into the money when i came into a nice run of cards and was able to quickly build up a respectable stack, about 20k. with about 70 people left i was dealt J-J. i just called, as did two others who both had similiar stacks as me. flop was something like 2h-7d-5h. feeling pretty good about my hand here i made a fairly large bet, 5-6k, and both players called. turn, Kd. perhaps i should have checked, but i didn't. I went all in for my last 10-12k. the point is, both players call. the river is something like 8h. One of them then turns over Ah-9h. i don't exactly remember the other guy's cards, in fact i think he folded on the river, but i was in the lead until the river hit. so, you're welcome to comment on my play if you want, but i know i probably over played it. what i'm curious about is how many of you would have called my all in in that situation (for most of your stack) w/ an A high flush draw with 1 card to go. he could have won with an ace too of course, but it was far less of a sure thing. heck, even with the pair on the board he could have lost even if he hit his flush.

-n

Last edited:
Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't have called all in.

Thats crazy play, unless he had you really covered.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i check my hand history and he had me covered by maybe 7k, so he would have been fairly crippled if he lost.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could see him go all in to put pressure on you. I would never call an all in with one card left holding nothing?!? Most times you are drawing dead.

He had 9 outs that he knew of, he could not have known that his A was still live. That is suicide in my book. Unless he wanted to lose and watch TV or something, you never know what they are thinking online.

trentonlf

trentonlf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not have gone all in, but i would have raised before the flop. With a preflop raise they would have had a harder chance of calling your bet on the flop with only a draw.

g/l

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the thing of it is, i'm the one who went all in, specificly to put pressure on hands like the one he had. it was a cheap buy in and i've come to expect bonehead plays in such events, but not at that stage of the tournament. i'm not going to dwell on it, it wasn't even my worst beat of the night (had aces cracked by 6-4 off, he called big raise, flopped second pair, called all in, caught set on turn)... just wanted to see what you guys thought

-n

and i know i didn't play the hand right, which bothers me more then the beat as otherwise i'd been having a very intellegent tournament. i should have either played it more agressivly pre flop, or less agressivly post flop. just wondering what you guys though of my opponent's play.

-n

Last edited:
C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be honest I think you played the hand well. The only way I figure this guy called your bet is because he was pot committed. I would have raised pre-flop but you would very likely have got called with A8s anyway

He has roughly a 19% chance of hitting the nut flush on the river which, providing the other guy folded on the turn, makes you a 1/5 favourite.

I would have gone all in, the K wouldnt have worried me cos the only way this guy calls the post-flop bet is either a straight or flush draw.

Outdraws like that are a sucker but the guy calling the bet needs shooting (unless he was pot committed)

Xandit

Xandit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to be that the guy was in love with his cards and was going to play them regardless of a standard preflop raise or not. So not raising before the flop had little effect on him. He got to that stage catching cards like he did with you. I like the river bet, if you were against anyone else you had a good chance to get them to fold like the 3rd player in the hand did. It was just a bad play for him that worked out. I've found you can't get bad players off bad hands! Take it in stride and battle again.

Xandit.

Full Flush Poker