What's the call?

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay heres one that had me baffled, I am out of position mid to be exact and get dealt 88, I make the call and flop is 4 2 2, and the one villain has been a maniac he is to my left and this is his previous actions:

Bob Bayfield: raises 2910 to 3110 and is all-in
Bob Bayfield: bets 3310 and is all-in
Bob Bayfield: bets 3510 and is all-in

without any calls or showdowns or should I have raised out of position or what? or should I have led out post flop as I was to act before him? mind you this is a 4.40 180 seat tourney into the second hour and I am in top 15 with 35 people left.

PokerStars Game #7953324609: Tournament #40635323, $4.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (100/200) - 2007/01/15 - 15:49:35 (ET)
Table '40635323 9' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: TaintedRogue (2855 in chips)
Seat 2: lgsparty (11071 in chips)
Seat 3: kala5583 (8170 in chips)
Seat 4: Bob Bayfield (4310 in chips)
Seat 5: RayCintron (3775 in chips)
Seat 6: fightingnuns (1910 in chips)
Seat 7: *ACK*79* (19337 in chips)
Seat 8: raylem (6841 in chips)
Seat 9: kalford1234 (4954 in chips)
TaintedRogue: posts the ante 25
lgsparty: posts the ante 25
kala5583: posts the ante 25
Bob Bayfield: posts the ante 25
RayCintron: posts the ante 25
fightingnuns: posts the ante 25
*ACK*79*: posts the ante 25
raylem: posts the ante 25
kalford1234: posts the ante 25
fightingnuns: posts small blind 100
*ACK*79*: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to kala5583 [8h 8s]
raylem: folds
kalford1234: folds
TaintedRogue: folds
lgsparty: folds
kala5583: calls 200
Bob Bayfield: calls 200
RayCintron: folds
fightingnuns: calls 100
*ACK*79*: checks
*** FLOP *** [4c 2c 2d]
fightingnuns: checks
kala5583: checks
Bob Bayfield: bets 4085 and is all-in
Kala5583: ??

Or fold PF?

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok...now I'm NOT the person who should be answering this...cause there are alot of much more talented people on this site...but of COURSE I'll throw in my "two cents" :D

When I'm at a table with a donk playing like that (late game desperate...but ya never know) I do one of two things...either wait for power hands, limp in, wait for a TPTK, two pair etc.... and check and then raise/call the maniac

- OR -

on a hand where I'm NOT ready to go all-in just yet and I want another card and the maniac follows, I throw out a small bet just to make him wonder if I'll call a "all-in" push by him... sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My honest opinion is that he really doesn't want a call with this bet. If he had trips or a full house why would he bet this much?

I don't think that calling is wrong, but I definitely do think you could wait for a better opportunity to trap this guy. Although he could be semibluffing with say A7c, you really aren't that much of a favourite over him. Again I don't think calling is terrible, but dump it and wait for a better opportunity later on.

I also like a raise PF with 88, though I don't think there's anything wrong with limping.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
call and expect to see nothing, or at best a pair lower than yours

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You tend to see alot more all or nothing bets in the late stages of a tournament, but it's unlikely that this flop hit him. As Chuck said, this bet doesn't want to be called. Your 8's are probably good. That being said, this is just the kind of flop that could easily have connected with 1 of 4 limpers. And what does a set of deuces do in early position? They trap. So what did SB and BB do before you had to make your decision? Obviously, if one of them calls then you fold. If both of them fold, then I am SO in.

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You tend to see alot more all or nothing bets in the late stages of a tournament, but it's unlikely that this flop hit him. As Chuck said, this bet doesn't want to be called. Your 8's are probably good. That being said, this is just the kind of flop that could easily have connected with 1 of 4 limpers. And what does a set of deuces do in early position? They trap. So what did SB and BB do before you had to make your decision? Obviously, if one of them calls then you fold. If both of them fold, then I am SO in.

exactly why I asked do I lead out with this flop? answer to your question is we all 3 checked and that's where I think I misplayed this? what's your thoughts and replies greatly appreciated gang.

I will post the rest soon.

srry didn't mean to sound rude with my 1st Question ;)

Last edited:
Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think checking was the right thing to do, and now you find yourself in great relative position. The nutcase has played his part, now you get to see what the other 2 player left do before you act. I guess that's the correct answer. Wait and see.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have noticed that he pushes all-in on similar flops, low cards on the flop and he pushes all-in consistantly then I'd say he has nothing and call his all-in.
I've been up against such players before and 9 out of 10 times thay are bluffing.
I bet that he hadn't gone all-in with a face card showing on the flop in earlier hands.

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is the end, I did mange to make FT and my 77 got busted on river with dude had AJ flop was 455 I push he catch Jack on river;)

*** FLOP *** [4c 2c 2d]
fightingnuns: checks
kala5583: checks
Bob Bayfield: bets 4085 and is all-in
fightingnuns: folds
*ACK*79*: folds
kala5583: folds
Bob Bayfield collected 1025 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1025 | Rake 0
Board [4c 2c 2d]
Seat 1: TaintedRogue folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: lgsparty folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: kala5583 folded on the Flop
Seat 4: Bob Bayfield collected (1025)
Seat 5: RayCintron (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: fightingnuns (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 7: *ACK*79* (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 8: raylem folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: kalford1234 folded before Flop (didn't bet)

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shut it down first.

I personally think you needed to bet this one first out, rather than letting the maniac have first crack at the pot. You probably have the best hand, you don't want to see another card, so make a 2/3 or more pot bet rather than checking, and see what happens. My guess is that maniac folds, and the only raise you're going to see is someone with a 2 in their hand.

Checking isn't all that bad - but the problem is that now you're calling instead of betting, so you get no fold-equity on this one. I think I would still call his butt if both blinds fold, but it's not an easy choice. By checking you're either seeing another card for no price (which is unlikely to help you, but quite likely to help one of your opponents), or trying to slow-play the probable best hand, hoping the maniac will bet.

BTW, my guess is the maniac had a 4. Just a hunch.

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally think you needed to bet this one first out, rather than letting the maniac have first crack at the pot. You probably have the best hand, you don't want to see another card, so make a 2/3 or more pot bet rather than checking, and see what happens. My guess is that maniac folds, and the only raise you're going to see is someone with a 2 in their hand.

Checking isn't all that bad - but the problem is that now you're calling instead of betting, so you get no fold-equity on this one. I think I would still call his butt if both blinds fold, but it's not an easy choice. By checking you're either seeing another card for no price (which is unlikely to help you, but quite likely to help one of your opponents), or trying to slow-play the probable best hand, hoping the maniac will bet.

BTW, my guess is the maniac had a 4. Just a hunch.

Yeah Zeb that's where I think I screwed this one up was not leadiing out after the 2 checks and see where I stood as far as maniac is concerned, as he was to act after me,yesterday kept replaying it and I really think I was ahead the whole time but my thinkin was winning this damn tourney battling than losing to a maniac. I think had like 35 left in a 180 seat trny at the time, will post final hand later don't wanna clog the HA section ;)

^^^^^^^^