What's the appropriate re-raise?

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe he folds anyway but what's the appropriate re-raise to keep him in the hand? Or should I be happy taking it down here?

pokerstars Game #7658708930: Tournament #39174878, $1.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2006/12/29 - 04:34:20 (ET)
Table '39174878 5' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: Tombs turn (1360 in chips)
Seat 2: Tingaingga7 (1440 in chips)
Seat 3: Outdoor_King (1440 in chips)
Seat 4: B.D.Best (1960 in chips)
Seat 5: Monias11 (1420 in chips)
Seat 6: Students_T (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: Freakakanus (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: Ari Behn (2280 in chips)
Seat 9: UncleRoli (600 in chips)
Monias11: posts small blind 10
Students_T: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Freakakanus [Ah Kd]
Freakakanus: raises 80 to 100
Ari Behn: folds
UncleRoli: folds
Tombs turn: folds
Tingaingga7: folds
Outdoor_King: folds
B.D.Best: calls 100
Monias11: folds
Students_T: folds
*** FLOP *** [Kh 5s Qd]
Freakakanus: checks
B.D.Best: bets 100
Freakakanus: raises 260 to 360
B.D.Best: folds
Freakakanus collected 430 from pot
Freakakanus: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 430 | Rake 0
Board [Kh 5s Qd]
Seat 1: Tombs turn folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Tingaingga7 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Outdoor_King folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: B.D.Best (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 5: Monias11 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: Students_T (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: Freakakanus collected (430)
Seat 8: Ari Behn folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: UncleRoli folded before

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10J with the block bet? i say be happy he didnt bet into you with a set of 5's or KQ

Joe_Mac

Joe_Mac

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you want action with your Pair of Kings? I know in this situation I probably would want to take the pot down on the flop. There is a straight draw possibility out there if someone is hold J,10 or even J,9 suited.

I think you did the right thing with a raise here. Protect your hand because it is definitely vulnerable. Actually looking at it a little more, I might not have checked from the start, but you probably got all you could out of him anyway. Especially if a blank hits the turn, so it probably was the right move.

Think about it this way, he led out with a bet, which could mean he is pot building and covering up his draw. So I do believe you made the right move. I think your raise was enough to. 3 to 4 times the initial bet is ideal in this situation. The last thing you want is someone drawing out on you.
:icon_thum
Maybe he folds anyway but what's the appropriate re-raise to keep him in the hand? Or should I be happy taking it down here?

PokerStars Game #7658708930: Tournament #39174878, $1.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2006/12/29 - 04:34:20 (ET)
Table '39174878 5' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: Tombs turn (1360 in chips)
Seat 2: Tingaingga7 (1440 in chips)
Seat 3: Outdoor_King (1440 in chips)
Seat 4: B.D.Best (1960 in chips)
Seat 5: Monias11 (1420 in chips)
Seat 6: Students_T (1500 in chips)
Seat 7: Freakakanus (1500 in chips)
Seat 8: Ari Behn (2280 in chips)
Seat 9: UncleRoli (600 in chips)
Monias11: posts small blind 10
Students_T: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Freakakanus [Ah Kd]
Freakakanus: raises 80 to 100
Ari Behn: folds
UncleRoli: folds
Tombs turn: folds
Tingaingga7: folds
Outdoor_King: folds
B.D.Best: calls 100
Monias11: folds
Students_T: folds
*** FLOP *** [Kh 5s Qd]
Freakakanus: checks
B.D.Best: bets 100
Freakakanus: raises 260 to 360
B.D.Best: folds
Freakakanus collected 430 from pot
Freakakanus: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 430 | Rake 0
Board [Kh 5s Qd]
Seat 1: Tombs turn folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Tingaingga7 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: Outdoor_King folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: B.D.Best (button) folded on the Flop
Seat 5: Monias11 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: Students_T (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: Freakakanus collected (430)
Seat 8: Ari Behn folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: UncleRoli folded before

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
played fine.

I don't think you're keeping him in the hand without making a mistake yourself. Your raise was perfectly appropriate, at somewhere between 2/3 to full pot size. The only way to keep him in would have been to make the price right for a draw - which you don't want. Or to flat call and give him another card - which you don't want.

I might disagree with the check on the flop, but you got him to throw in 100 that he wouldn't have otherwise, so you gained a little on the risk. This is a hand you definitely want to protect and not see more cards without making your opponent pay heavily for it, so, yes, be happy.

Joe_Mac

Joe_Mac

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for agreeing with me. It was the correct play on his part. Take the pot before being drawn out on.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raising pre-flop then check-raising the flop is pretty weird. OK for occasionally mixing up your play, but you should bet the flop most times whether you have the King or not, because your hand isn't likely to improve. Check-raising won't keep your opponent in unless you're behind.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might as well play with your cards turned over it was so obvious you had a King. Why take the risk of giving a free card, then kill the betting off without winning a big pot? it's the high risk / low reward play, which is the opposite to what you want. After you checked the flop (as Bombjack said, if you bet missed hands, bet made hands too as otherwise you're playing like 75% of players - so obvious!) why not check the turn too? Looks like you're on a straight draw, if the turn misses he'll bet again and you're on for a big pot.

(PS i've got a £5 keyboard, hence the lack of capital letters)

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raising pre-flop then check-raising the flop is pretty weird. OK for occasionally mixing up your play, but you should bet the flop most times whether you have the King or not, because your hand isn't likely to improve. Check-raising won't keep your opponent in unless you're behind.

I definitely agree with that idea - as anyone who played last night's tourney last night found out, I don't allow free cards unless I'm already dead-handed. I'll bet my draws or even one overcard if I raised PF. by being the leader, you have the best fold equity - anyone who does not hit the flop, or at least get a good draw from it, will pretty much fold to you, whether you have a good hand or not. And you block all-in bluffs by representing a good hand.
So, yeah, the check raise isn't all that bad, but don't make a habit of it - do it just enough to make opponents wary of you slow-playing hands.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have pot bet on the flop. Take it down right then and there.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah Freak, bet the flop, don't give him a chance to make a hand.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't there some saying about never going broke with just top pair? I concur with the rest of the folks. You gotta think "What could he have called my pre-flop raise with?" Just feel lucky it wasn't KK, QQ, KQ, or 55. The flop check-raise was a good idea, but not the safest. I'd bet at the flop OOP so I could set the tone if he calls. Check-raises are usually for the nuts or near-nuts.

S

Styrofoam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why are you check-raising with a pair of kings anyways? Its not hardly a good enough hand to warrant check-raising. In any case, you could be check-raising straight into JT suited, pocket 5s, KQ, or any other assorted hands. You're lucky to have pulled down that pot with no contention. There are plenty of hands on that flop that are dangerous. A feeler bet here is the right move IMO, to see what he has. W/o a raise on the flop, you're probably ahead.

again...TPTK isn't nearly strong enough to check-raise a flop like that.

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why are you check-raising with a pair of kings anyways? Its not hardly a good enough hand to warrant check-raising. In any case, you could be check-raising straight into JT suited, pocket 5s, KQ, or any other assorted hands. You're lucky to have pulled down that pot with no contention. There are plenty of hands on that flop that are dangerous. A feeler bet here is the right move IMO, to see what he has. W/o a raise on the flop, you're probably ahead.

again...TPTK isn't nearly strong enough to check-raise a flop like that.

Agreed, stupid move on my part. Will not be making the same mistake again.... I hope.