What would you do?

A

AutoArt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm at a live tournament, $25 buy in, 1 $25 rebuy. The people at this place know how to play, but like to also gamble. Blinds are $300/$600 with the last hand before the blinds go up to $500/$1000. 17 People left in the tournament, 6 players get paid. My stack is at 8600 and I just moved to this table 4 hands ago so I don't really have any reads on very many people or how they play. The girl in seat 4 stated 2 hands prior that she just wanted to give her chips away and not play anymore, this was pretty true when she went all in with Q J when the flop was 8 7 3 (a guy calls her with K 10 and the girl flops a Q on the river).

Me: Limp in with Ah Kh
Girl in seat 4: Raises to $1200
Guy in seat 5: Goes all in for 1500
Me:....

What would you do in this situation with the blinds going up so high and you being good enough for only 8 big blinds?? Just call and see how the flop comes, or go all-in and hope to double up?

Last edited:
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just raise/shove preflop, especially if there are antes. What were your intentions with your limp? AK is a huge hand at this stage and you should be ready to get all your chips in with your stack size.

As played it's an easy shove.

F

fleft

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree completely with Chuck. As played you should definitely move all-in at this point. You're probably ahead of, if not dominating, both players.

K

Kajagugu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get the limp with AKs at all. If you did it to induce a raise, you got what you wanted, so now you have to shove IMO. You are obviously not folding, right?

Also, there is another option here. Since the 1500 is only a 300 raise it doesn't actually qualify as a raise. You can just call it and seat 4 can either fold or call, but can't re-raise. This way if you just want to see the flop first, you can save some of your chips.

A

AutoArt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all your responses. To justify the limp with Ah Kh is because I was just in that mode, the whole tournament I limped with every hand and most of the time it would throw players off because they never really knew what I was holding, which at times earned me more chips. Every tournament I'll play different, sometimes I'll vary with raises and limps, other times I'll limp half the tournament with any cards and then switch to varying from limping and raising. But to show how the hand turned out

Me: Thinking that I only have enough for 8 big blinds if I fold this hand, I decide to push all in because to me I felt like I have the best hand.
Girl in seat 4: Calls with pocket 4's
Guy in seat 5: turns over Q 9

Flop comes: 2 3 8
Turn: 5
River: 6
I lose all my chips to the girl with pocket 4's who rivers a straight =[ I felt like it was the right decision because I saw a good opportunity to double up and have a good size chip stack to go the the end, or just get the girl in seat 4 out of the hand so I can go heads up with the guy and attempt to win a couple thousand.

The reason I asked the question of what people would do is because I wasn't sure if a push was the right thing to do, I mean I could of called and seen the flop to see how it went. I also questioned myself because I didn't feel pressured to go all in to keep up with people's chip stacks or the blinds (there were a lot of people with lower chip stacks than mine), I pretty much felt average stacked even though it was only good enough for 8 blinds. Thanks for all your responses and reassuring me it was the right move to do, sometimes I'll question my moves after a tournament.