What should i have done here?

PopDog60

PopDog60

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just wanna know if i played this hand well, or what i could do differently...

pokerstars Game #7463866412: Tournament #37705744, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level IX (300/600) - 2006/12/16 - 03:00:05 (ET)
Table '37705744 2' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: canes16 (70409 in chips)
Seat 2: anderturf (10 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 3: bray6 (33820 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 4: Bull King (4999 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 5: anderson224 (43901 in chips)
Seat 6: popdog60 (40430 in chips)
Seat 7: money4mesee (117494 in chips)
Seat 8: tumad66 (20982 in chips)
Seat 9: brnels (21530 in chips)
canes16: posts the ante 50
anderturf: posts the ante 10 and is all-in
bray6: posts the ante 50
Bull King: posts the ante 50
anderson224: posts the ante 50
popdog60: posts the ante 50
money4mesee: posts the ante 50
tumad66: posts the ante 50
brnels: posts the ante 50
anderson224: posts small blind 300
popdog60: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to popdog60 [Ac Kd]
money4mesee: calls 600
tumad66: calls 600
brnels: calls 600
canes16: folds
anderturf: folds
bray6: folds
Bull King: folds
anderson224: raises 600 to 1200
popdog60: calls 600
tumad66: calls 600
brnels: calls 600
*** FLOP *** [Qh Jc 2s]
anderson224: bets 600
popdog60: calls 600
tumad66: folds
brnels: folds
*** TURN *** [Qh Jc 2s] [Tc]
anderson224: bets 600
popdog60: raises 1200 to 1800
money4mesee: folds
anderson224: raises 1200 to 3000

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For what you've posted so far, it looks fine to me. There on the turn, you need to reraise again to protect your straight as their is now a flush draw out there.

PopDog60

PopDog60

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
popdog60: raises 35580 to 38580 and is all-in
anderson224: calls 35580
*** RIVER *** [Qh Jc 2s Tc] [Td]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
anderson224: shows [Js Jd] (a full house, Jacks full of Tens)
popdog60: shows [Ac Kd] (a straight, Ten to Ace)
anderson224 collected 85280 from side pot
anderson224 collected 90 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 85370 Main pot 90. Side pot 85280. | Rake 0
Board [Qh Jc 2s Tc Td]
Seat 1: canes16 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: anderturf folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: bray6 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Bull King (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: anderson224 (small blind) showed [Js Jd] and won (85370) with a full house, Jacks full of Tens
Seat 6: popdog60 (big blind) showed [Ac Kd] and lost with a straight, Ten to Ace
Seat 7: money4mesee folded on the Turn
Seat 8: tumad66 folded on the Flop
Seat 9: brnels folded on the Flop

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow...while I probably wouldn't have pushed all in myself, it obviously worked. I would have raised less to induce a call or more likely, another reraise. Pushing was only good if you think he'll call it (which he did).

Then, bam...kicked right in the nuts, so to speak, when he spikes that T on the river. Ouch. But, like we all say...you got all your money in with the best hand and just go unlucky.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all it was a freeroll. As there is no money at stake ppl will call with less than they would if their hard earned cash was involved.

I would have raised more pre flop to cut down the field. A reraise would have been the order of the day for me in this situation. I would have made the other limpers put in another 1800-2400 chips to see the flop - as it happened they all folded after flop. What they all were calling with is beyond me with the flop having a QJ in it.

After the flop I would have put in another reraise. Find out where u stand. again, looking at your chip stack, about 2000 chips. If he comes over the top u knew u were probably behind. Don`t forget this, after the flop u were behind by a long way - u really only had 4 outs, being 10`s.

To an extent, nothing wrong with your all in after turn. U had the nuts and he only had 10 outs, but he might have though he was ahead with his trips. Your bet pre flop did not suggest AK. So although niether of u knew this, he was about 5:1 to catch when he went all in.

SUMMARY
  1. Re raise pre flop - u would have lost limpers but not the guy with JJ
  2. Re raise after the flop - u would have defined your `A high` hand
  3. Nothing u can can do when he catches.
Hope that helps a bit.

JimboJim

JimboJim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not much you can do when someone catches a set in a freeroll. looks like it was played ok but he took the boat up the river.

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The winner was the one raising pre-flop, so i doubt he would have folded to a preflop re-raise, specially since its a freeroll.

Theres not much you could have done. I posted in another thread a hand where i had AK diamonds and flopped a flush, then lost showdown when the remaining two aces came on turn and river to give other guy full house!

It sucks, but its not your/my fault. Thats poker sometimes. If i get that hand again id play it the same!

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The winner was the one raising pre-flop, so i doubt he would have folded to a preflop re-raise, specially since its a freeroll.

I agree. The point I was making was that genrally u do not want as many in the pot against u. As it happens, I feel no matter what our guy had done the other fella was going all the way - probably even with just JJ !!!

PopDog60

PopDog60

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone

The reason why i didnt re raise the AK was because i just lost a big hand 3 hands before for a chunk of chips, so i felt like seeing a flop, and if not hitting.. just letting it go.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone

The reason why i didnt re raise the AK was because i just lost a big hand 3 hands before for a chunk of chips, so i felt like seeing a flop, and if not hitting.. just letting it go.

I can understand this - u need to vary your game, but with AK u really only have A high with top kicker. That is the reason I would always raise with AK - get rid of the limpers. With AK if there is 3 or more limpers one is gonna be ahead after the flop if u miss normally. With only one in pot with you your AK could still be ahead.

Also, your quote above does not make sense. You say "if you did not hit you would let go" - U missed but called a raise? The only out u knew for sure would have put u ahead were the 4 x 10`s - about 9% to hit on the turn.

Poker is very much a game of if`s and but`s, so the only decision you can make is the decision you make at the time. So if you had folded on the flop it would have been the right move at the time - in a freeroll, or any other game, I wouls have been suspiciuos of the small raise on flop. 600 bet says "please call or raise me"

Looking at the hand I think neither one of you could be told you played the hand bad.
  1. No reason not to limp with JJ or AK
  2. No reason not to make a small raise with JJJ or with the possible outs u have after the flop 10, possbly A or K would have put you ahead. ( u would not be thinking u were behind to trips?)
  3. All in after turn - a massive bet but u were so far ahead when u got your money in. The other guy calling - are u gonna put down trips with only someone holding AK, K9, pkt QQ or 89 ahead of u?
If I was you I would put it behind you and accept u were unlucky not to win when you went all in!!!

MSRedImp

MSRedImp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No other way you could have played that, that's just the annoying thing with poker...:(