I put caller on KK ?QQ?

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

jmasterrich

jmasterrich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop your play is fine. However, you should be leading out on the flop because you have position and there is a diamond draw out there( although you do have the A of diamonds so you do have redraw outs if the flush hits) I would probably lead out for half to 3/4 of the pot.
I think he would have probably folded just because of his fold on the turn... but you want to get value from his range KK-1010 and ak aq...

C

Chief_X_LRG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't even consider a diamond draw on the flop because of the hand range I put him on, he wouldn't have the 4flush until the turn and then I would still have him trumped. Maybe wrong line of thinking though.

Value betting the flop makes sense to me now that you mention it. I was trying to give him a chance to catch up, perhaps this is why I am getting busted on 3 outers so much on the river.

jmasterrich

jmasterrich

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably wouldnt put him on diamonds either you do have to consider it though...depending on how donkish your villain is. But yea you definitely want to get value from his range but not force him out of the pot

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mind the flop check.. the only real possible villain hand which may be a worry on that flop would be KQ diamonds. Any other hand in his/her assumed range is a long long way behind. So I think the check is fine, assuming that you thought the UTG player may fold if you represent hitting the ace. Checking here might even induce a bluff on the turn.

I think the turn bet is obviously way too big. You're in all likelihood a huge favourite to win this hand. You should be thinking about extracting value, not killing the hand with an oversized hand. The overpot bet is only getting called by a made flush, QQ, or maybe AQ if you're really lucky. Betting half or 3/4 pot here would have been a better option. I would have been tempted to bet half pot, to try to squeeze a call out of dead hands (like other high pocket pairs, + AK, AQ) hoping the villain had a high pair or pocket pair with the redraw to the 4 card flush, and would tag along for another card.

soccerfreakjj10

soccerfreakjj10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop your play is fine. However, you should be leading out on the flop because you have position and there is a diamond draw out there( although you do have the A of diamonds so you do have redraw outs if the flush hits) I would probably lead out for half to 3/4 of the pot.
I think he would have probably folded just because of his fold on the turn... but you want to get value from his range KK-1010 and ak aq...

noooo please never lead here don't worry about the diamond draw zomg its heads up, u can still fill up, and you have A of D. on the turn i would bet an amount that can be called by a lower flush draw, or even pushed over the top by a semi bluff/bluff instead of pushing.

norbs286

norbs286

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have seen too many pocket Aces lose to flush.
In this case, seeing the diamonds would have me woried a bit and thus I would not have checked the flop, I would have bet at least half the pot - Semi value bet and semi "I don't want to risk my opponent catching a flush' bet so I'm raising the stacks.
Betting All In once the 3rd diamond appeared would seem to me as a bluff bet, i.e. a try to push me out with a pair at most. In this case, the set of Aces would probably hold but I'm not sure I would've played it like this.
I would probably check too, to see the last card for free (hoping its a diamond for reassurance), however, no matter what comes out on the river (except if he is trapping with KJ diamonds and the river is not a diamond) you are favorite. I would go for a value bet and call any reraise he does (if at all)

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lead the flop for like 475 or so. We do have the deck a wee bit crippled here, but there are some draws he can call us with. Early in a microstakes SnG isn't the time to be slowplaying, especially given the crap villain will likely float us with. Not to mention your turn overbet was so very transparent.

FatBasset

FatBasset

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough situation when you hit trips with pocket aces because the ace on the board is going to kill your action from any other pocket pair that didn't hit trips. Your re-raise pre-flop is going to have him considering you have A-K or better. Personally, I like to find out on the flop if I have someone chasing the flush by betting 1/2 to 3/4 of the pot. Most of the time if the are chasing the flush they will check the turn if they make their flush and you will get a free chance to redraw on them. If the flush card doesn't come, then I can decide whehter I want to end the hand by betting big or try to extract a little to let them chase their flush.

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I would have claimed the flush on the turn with a big bet. Checking the flop broadcasts your fear of the flush and, in effect, allows one of the bad guy to claim it.

With two other folks in the pot. If a diamond had come off and one of them pushed, would you have called after that check?

---

C

Chief_X_LRG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lead the flop for like 475 or so. We do have the deck a wee bit crippled here, but there are some draws he can call us with. Early in a microstakes SnG isn't the time to be slowplaying, especially given the crap villain will likely float us with. Not to mention your turn overbet was so very transparent.

The guy was a 5%/5%. He didn't even play unless he had a premium hand. Like RWilson mentioned the only diamond draw to worry about in his range was a KQdiamonds. Which of course is a slight possibilty, although given his nittyness, I had him on TT-KK, AQs+.

The overbet was intentional in the aspects of hoping he had QQ,AQ, or to perhaps to appear that I was bluffing. Obviously I need to work on a correct amount, I probaly was just a little juiced with a monster.

rwilson

rwilson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still would have slowplayed the flop and bet the turn and river for value... this is one of the best positions you can be in. The opponent raised from UTG+1, then called a reraise, suited connectors make up a tiny part of your opponents range. You're realistically looking at KQd that can beat you here and that's about it.. maybe KJd or QJd but I think even that's unlikely.

The third diamond on the board is more likely to help you than it is to hurt you, cause now you're a chance to get paid off by lower flush draws.

Worst case scenario and the opponent actually did have something like KQ, KJ, QJ diamonds - you still have him outchipped and you're most likely drawing to 19 outs on the river anyway. Play this hand for value all the way!!

C

Chief_X_LRG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I would have claimed the flush on the turn with a big bet. Checking the flop broadcasts your fear of the flush and, in effect, allows one of the bad guy to claim it.

With two other folks in the pot. If a diamond had come off and one of them pushed, would you have called after that check?

---

When I reraised the LAG folded, so it was just me and UTG+1 left.

I wasn't fearful of the diamonds much. He was so tight. He wasn't one to play suited connectors on a big reraise heads up out of position. He might of had one diamond in his hand, but I had the A so I basically had to worry only about KQdiamonds, which I honestly didn't give more than five seconds of thought especially after the turn was a Q diamonds.

soccerfreakjj10

soccerfreakjj10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still would have slowplayed the flop and bet the turn and river for value... this is one of the best positions you can be in. The opponent raised from UTG+1, then called a reraise, suited connectors make up a tiny part of your opponents range. You're realistically looking at KQd that can beat you here and that's about it.. maybe KJd or QJd but I think even that's unlikely.

The third diamond on the board is more likely to help you than it is to hurt you, cause now you're a chance to get paid off by lower flush draws.

Worst case scenario and the opponent actually did have something like KQ, KJ, QJ diamonds - you still have him outchipped and you're most likely drawing to 19 outs on the river anyway. Play this hand for value all the way!!

exactly right

isaac

isaac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the only think that i would have done differently then you would be to re-raise him preflop. This way you would get more chips out of him. im guessing he had a king queen suited or queen jack suited

P

pokerking123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i also think you should of bet out on the flop, you shouldnt risk it because he might have 2 diamonds in his hand. Plus you might of been able to take a bigger pot

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Btw, all of you who are advocating slowplay. What 2nd best hand are you trying to get him to make by checking this flop? You think someone is going to call a bunch of bets if they make a pair of kings/queens on the turn?

The vast majority of the hands that are worse and will call you are draws, and small pairs like 88. And you can't get value from draws when they miss. I think this is a clear bet on the flop unless our opponent is Dr. Bluff McSpewtard.

C

Chief_X_LRG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Btw, all of you who are advocating slowplay. What 2nd best hand are you trying to get him to make by checking this flop? You think someone is going to call a bunch of bets if they make a pair of kings/queens on the turn?

The vast majority of the hands that are worse and will call you are draws, and small pairs like 88. And you can't get value from draws when they miss. I think this is a clear bet on the flop unless our opponent is Dr. Bluff McSpewtard.

He was not "Dr. Bluff" and he knew I wasn't either. I proably had a 17/5 at that time with a couple showdowns of very good hands where I was agressive from preflop to showdown. I checked the flop to change gears since I have pounded it everytime before with monster hands and I was so far ahead at this point. I had to play him trickier than the standard play, because he was so tight.

Villian had a VP$P=5% and he called a reraise of a third of his chips preflop out of position. I guess its possible he had something as low as 88 and the huge raise on the turn shoved him out, but now that I think about it maybe he had JJ and tried to get a jackpot on the flop. I know I have made that mistake more times than I would like to remember.

2nd best hand I was hoping for the turn was a Qset, or pocket K's, AK, AQ. All these hands would of looked very good on the turn, if I made the correct bet ( which of course I didn't).

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Def agree that you should bet flop and see were villian is at. Chances are he would have folded to a flop bet, if not then you can start narrowing his hands down.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I checked the flop to change gears since I have pounded it everytime before with monster hands and I was so far ahead at this point. I had to play him trickier than the standard play, because he was so tight.
Why change gears? If you've been consistently aggressive, you're planting the seed in their mind that "Oh, they can't have it everytime." If you're constantly contesting pots & betting, you're building up a loose & bluffy image.

2nd best hand I was hoping for the turn was a Qset, or pocket K's, AK, AQ. All these hands would of looked very good on the turn, if I made the correct bet ( which of course I didn't).
So you're hoping he's going to hit a draw to 2 cards that gives him a 2nd best hand? You realize that happens 5% of the time (when he actually has QQ or KK). And he's going to call a bet if he has AK or AQ on the flop! Do you understand how this makes no sense? Giving up a free card to a flush draw isn't worth trying to get him to spike a smaller set on the turn! And then you make matters worse by betting HUGE on the turn so that nothing but a flush or AQ could call you.

You need to be leading this flop, unless checking behind will induce villain to bluff you with a worse hand. And you need to be fairly certain that villain will bluff this board to justify checking this back.

Last edited:
V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why bet so much on the turn? You want him to call with KxKd or JxJd, because he's drawing dead. And no matter what you bet he's probably shoving with QQ. I think the turn is the spot for a small value bet.