Total posts
Chips
What would you do in this situation, feel free to say what you please

Event: Home game
Game: No Limit Hold 'em
Level 3: 100/200 Blinds
Starting Chips: 10,000
Starting Players: 5
Seat 1 : jasondavies starts with 9,400 (I AM A LOOSISH PLAYER)
Seat 2 : Player 2 starts with 9,200 (HE IS A MANIAC)
Seat 3 : Player 3 starts with 7,700 (HE IS A CALCULATED PLAYER)
Seat 4 : Player 4 starts with 11,600 (HE IS A TIGHT PLAYER)
Seat 5 : Player 5 starts with 13,100 (SHE IS A PASSIVE PLAYER)
Seat 3 : Player 3 has the dealer button
>>>DEALING HOLE CARDS<<<
jasondavies dealt down Q♠ 4♠
Player 4 posts the small blind 100
Player 5 posts the big blind 200
jasondavies calls 200
Player 2 folds
Player 3 folds
Player 4 raises 300 to 500
Player 4 calls 500
jasondavies calls 500
>>>DEALING FLOP<<< J♠ 10♣ A♥
Player 4 checks
Player 4 checks
jasondavies checks
>>>DEALING TURN<<< K♦
Player 4 bets 500
Player 5 raises 500 to 1000
jasondavies calls 1000
Player 4 calls 1000
>>>DEALING RIVER<<< K♠
Player 4 bets 2000
Player 5 calls 2000
jasondavies???????? WHAT NOW
CONCLUSION TOMOROW NIGHT AT 11 ALONG WITH MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT DURING HAND

Last edited:
robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know the other players better than we do, but i'd go all-in. Maybe one of thems got you beat, but they cant all have. And with a player behind yet to act, you may be forced all-in anyway.

2 points - firstly, the initial call from early position with such a poor hand was incorrect. Just fold these hands.

Secondly, when you hit the flop on the turn, then was the time to make a raise.

KillerKat

KillerKat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop, Q4 is no hand to be calling with.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold preflop but to answer your question, go all in. I doubt either player has an Ace judging by the check on the flop. You have the straight and probably the best hand right now. They will either fold (which will probably happen) or call (and a big pot to you). There is a chance one fot hem could have a Queen which would result in a chop. That's why you need to go all in. They may fold the Queen! Either way, it should be a big pot to you.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmmm I dont think all is as it seems. Lets look firstly with seat 4, Mr.Tight.
Just how tight is he, does he raise with AA,KK or AK (AQ maybe) pre-flop exclusively ? This is where our reads come into play, you say that he is tight, so give him credit for an excellent starting hand.

Youve just gotten your self in heaps of trouble, and your playing for the split. I think that our tight player has clicked his boat on the river, and you get busted. The main reason for dumping rag hands like this pre-flop is in essence to prevent yourself into getting trouble situations like your in now.

Pushing on the turn would have been an excellent play, because you hold the nuts at this point of the hand. Push or fold, im erring on the side of caution here and giving Mr Tight credit for doing what he does best.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to clarify - me and KillerKat replied BEFORE jason added the descriptions of the 5 players. Jason, do a seperate post next time to create a more accurate thread, as our replies may have been different if you posted that post initially.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the way it was played:

* Fold preflop.

* Check the flop.

* Go all-in on the turn.

* Call the river. I hate calling it, but folding is out of the question as you are closing the action in a big pot where you have a very strong hand. But you can NOT bet all your money here. It's simply way too likely that you're up against KJs to risk it. Overcall and hope for a split pot (at least two of you have a straight).

I just don't see what Player4 could have besides a full house. Hope that he has KQ and slowplayed the flop. Otherwise you're losing this hand. Pretty sure it's KJs though, if he's a good player (although "tight" doesn't necessarily mean "good").

/FP

gord962

gord962

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold pre-flop - never play these hands. They are death traps that will suck all of your money away. Check after the flop, or possibly minimum bet, but that's max. You need to raise after the turn - either all-in or at least raise to $3,000. You can't be sitting with the nuts after the turn and not raise the bet. If you raise to 3,000 or more you may or may not keep the others in, but at least you win if they do fold. Now you are facing a very good possibility after the river that someone is looking at a full house. Now you can either fold or call - either you think you will split, or you think you will lose. I personally would call, hoping for a split pot. Chances are at least 1 other has a Q, possibly both player 4 & 5 have Qs, but I think it's likely someone (player 4??) has a full house.

jasondavies

jasondavies

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK here is a mild run down

Player 4 is a tight player who hates to spend his chips, he will raise pre flop with good holdings but will NEVER EVER continue with his aggression if he doesnt flop top pair or better, he will remain "married" to top pair if he hits it all the way to showdown, and you can very easily knock him off of middle/bottom pair even with an ace kicker

Player 5 is a rather passive player, a calling station if you will, always protects her blinds, enjoys playing most royals with mid kickers, bigest problem is she very rarely raises, she often loses hands from her unwillingness to strike

ME.. i am a loosish player, i dont mind tossing my chips around, i do have a very bad habit of slow playing nut hands (this hand is a good example of that),

Last edited:
JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jasondavies said:
What would you do in this situation, feel free to say what you please

Seat 1 : jasondavies starts with 9,400 (I AM A LOOSISH PLAYER)
Seat 2 : Player 2 starts with 9,200 (HE IS A MANIAC)
Seat 3 : Player 3 starts with 7,700 (HE IS A CALCULATED PLAYER)
Seat 4 : Player 4 starts with 11,600 (HE IS A TIGHT PLAYER)
Seat 5 : Player 5 starts with 13,100 (SHE IS A PASSIVE PLAYER)
>>>DEALING HOLE CARDS<<<
jasondavies calls 200
Player 2 folds
Player 3 folds
Player 4 calls 500
jasondavies calls 500
Player 4 checks
Player 4 checks
jasondavies checks
>>>DEALING TURN<<< K♦

Fold preflop, that being said when this king came, heres the time to push, to me when you didn't push at this point, I think you doomed yourself then, being that I think someone just spiked a boat. to me when the king came make those 2 pairs pay some to see that river.

BTW did you all reconotice player 4 raise and call, jason calls. 4 checks, 4 checks, jason checks? maybe I'm missing something here LOL

Last edited:
jasondavies

jasondavies

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JAMILE1 said:
BTW did you all reconotice player 4 raise and call, jason calls. 4 checks, 4 checks, jason checks? maybe I'm missing something here LOL

i will change it

jasondavies

jasondavies

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seat 1 : jasondavies starts with 9,400
Seat 2 : Player 2 starts with 9,200
Seat 3 : Player 3 starts with 7,700
Seat 4 : Player 4 starts with 11,600
Seat 5 : Player 5 starts with 13,100
>>>DEALING HOLE CARDS<<<
jasondavies calls 200
Player 2 folds
Player 3 folds
Player 4 calls 500
jasondavies calls 500
Player 4 checks
Player 5 checks
jasondavies checks
>>>DEALING TURN<<< [Kd]
Player 4 bets 500
Player 5 raises 500 to 1000
jasondavies calls 1000
Player 4 calls 1000
>>>DEALING RIVER<<< K♠
Player 4 bets 2000
Player 5 calls 2000
jasondavies raises 2000 to 4000
Player 4 raises 4100 to 8100 and is ALL IN
Player 5 calls 8100
jasondavies calls 7900 and is ALL IN
Player 4 shows [Kh] [Jd]
Player 5 shows [Qh] [8d]
jasondavies shows Q♠ 4♠ Ace high straight

Now, although this doesnt excuse the bad play on my behalf, I called preflop because we had been playing for roughly 1 hour and i had not even had a pair, i was getting frustrated that all my "good" pre flop cards were getting chewed away by 2 pairs 8's n 4's, anyway, i entered this hand with the purpose to knock Player 4 and 5 out on the turn, when the flop came my tactic changed from stealing to winning as much as possible, (i am short stak, and i actually think i was shorter than i have writen, oh well),

Now when Player 4 checked the flop i knew he did NOT have the ace, Player 5 was more than likely protecting her blinds and would enjoy as many free cards as she could!

When Player 4 bets the turn, i KNEW he had a king, i knew i was "well" ahead, but player 5 raises which throws me off course a little in my thinking, i had forgotten to consider her holdings aswell, i have to think about this now and there is a chance that i can triple up if i play it right,
(PLEASE DONT ABUSE ME FOR THIS, THIS IS THE WAY I DECIDED TO PLAY THIS HAND, I AM STILL ONLY A VERY RANK AMATURE, LOL)

Now i want Player 4 to stay in and pay me off with his pair as i know he will do because if you check he will ALWAYS take that as weakness ALWAYS so as far as he is concerned i dont have the ace, and i also had not yet considered Player 5 for a Q as the raise was a little timid to say the least and did not signify she had a nut hand, so i just flat call the raise so as not to scare off Player 4

When the 3rd King comes my eyes roll with the dollar symbols, payday, a set of kings, he will happily go all in with this, when he bets and Player 5 just calls i figured i had won this hand....well.....hands down! so i raise, then he beats me into the pot with a re raises ALL IN, and my dollar signs turn to a raging fire, what have i done i say in my head, slow played myself to death, AGAIN!!!!!! Player 5 thinks for at least 5 minutes, then calls, and i call saying "i gave you a house but i cant lay this down" (well i could have but i was left with like 1700 if that as i was more short stacked than my original post, sorry about that, in future i will be more accurate)

so all in all, a good lesson on why you dont
1. play poopy cards suited or not and
2. never slow play hands in suspect conditions

P.S im sure you have all gotten frustrated before and played marginal hands preflop, LOL we all have

anyway, hope you enjoyed my lil saga, there will be more