TT Button facing 2 re-raises (Reno hand)

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a live hand from our recent trip to Reno. I was quite buzzed but I'll do my best with my memory. Pay attention because there will be a plot twist when I reveal the results (not related to the play itself).

20th hand of a $65 10-player, winner-take-all SNG. Starting chips are 2000 and the winner gets $500. General play has seen many limpers. The few hands shown down have been loose or even bad overall plays. A couple bad bluffs, an early all-in call with 44, etc, etc.

UTG - 2200 chips; a few limp & folds, I think won 1 hand.
UTG +2 - 1700; limp & folder, 1 small win with a bad loose call-down play
Cut-Off - 2700; tight/aggressive, no limps, 1 win with aggro betting & no showdown
We are the Button with 3400.

Blinds 50/100.
7 players left
BB posts 100
SB is dead (just eliminated, no post)

UTG raises to 300
1 fold
UTG +2 raises to 600
1 fold
CO raises to 2700 All-in

Our turn with TT (forgot suits). Only BB is behind us. Pot is 3700, so far.

What's our play? Fold, call 2700, or all-in 3400?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold. Your reads are that the utg and utg+2 are passive limpers; then on top of both of them raising/reraising, you have the tight aggressive player pushing! Easy fold in my eyes.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
def. fold. this is considered a sort of overcall and you need aa/kk to do so.

RiverNoHelp

RiverNoHelp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a sneaking suspicion that they are both using their table images to attempt to buy the pot here without a showdown however I concur with chuck and jose that you should fold.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can see calling if you knew you would be heads up but there are too many players left to act. I tend to give people more credit than they deserve. With 4 people still to act, you are in hard shape especially when 3 of them put money in the pot willingly. The all-in could have any pocket pairs but would guess a high one to re-reaise a re-raise.

Here is the hard part if you call. If just one more person calls you can guess that 3 of the 4 over cards will be against you if not an over pair. Best case they both have AK or something. Any more callers I would expect AK, AQ, AJ suited?, AA, KK, QQ, and JJ to be the hands they have. Picking 2 or 3 hands from that list is not where you want your 10s to be for all the money. Not in with a winner takes all event.

Last edited:
RiverNoHelp

RiverNoHelp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To add on from my previous post I agree with Titans on the range of hands.. I believe one of the players has ace king and the tight aggressive player who came over the top has pocket jacks.. He doesn't want to see a flop although if he does have the jacks he should realize that utg+2 has already put 1/3 of his stack into the pot.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
30% charge? Kerching!

If you go to the effort to take mental notes on your opponents, which you have, then you've got to use those notes - tight opponent re-reraising = fold.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK. So we have 7 "folds". That's what I thought.

ARE YOU READY FOR THE TWIST? ....................

Here goes:

I WAS THE CO! I pushed based on the previously mentioned poor, but winning play of UTG+2. I read him as cocky and I put him on KT or worse. I figured he would either fold or he would be my only caller (isolation). Welp, I was buzzed enough to forget about 2 things. One, as RNH mentioned, UTG+2 raised with 1/3 of his stack so I probably should have taken him more seriously. And two, I forgot about "Miss Loosey Goosey" on the button. She had built her stack with some aggression & some loose plays that worked.

So "Miss Donkey Kong" pushes 3400.
BB & UTG fold.
UTG+2 calls all-in.

She flips over her Ten-Ten.
UTG+2 has AK off.
And I, "Mr. Drunken Donkey", turn over KQ off.

Cards come {blank, 10, blank, blank, blank}.
UTG+2 is out 7th.
I'm out 6th and I make sure I'm out of earshot before I start telling Freak that "only a donkey would call 2 re-raises with Ten-Ten". But now, in my sobriety, I realize I was the King donkey for making that move AND for playing drunk.

To top it off: We made her stack so huge that she won the damn thing & $500!

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's where we played:

Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands