Trip Kings versus Trip Aces...

C

chrisash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tourney earlier today, late stages, I'm the biggest stack, I'm in late position.

Cards dealt... I have KQ suited. Everybody folds except mid-position player (who I have pegged as a very tight player) who raises 10x BB. Comes back to me and I call.

Flop - AKK

Raiser decides to raise me another 10k. I go all in with trip kings. He turns over AA.

Any mistakes here, or just bad luck?

P

PompeyKing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold?

You stated that the person who raised you was a very tight player. For him to raise 10X BB. I would have considered folding there since he was a tight player. However, you were the biggest stack... (how much of your stack did you lose?), you had position and you had suited cards. Would have been a tough call, but once the flop hit, you were in there for sure!!

C

chrisash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You stated that the person who raised you was a very tight player. For him to raise 10X BB. I would have considered folding there since he was a tight player. However, you were the biggest stack... (how much of your stack did you lose?), you had position and you had suited cards. Would have been a tough call, but once the flop hit, you were in there for sure!!

He was tight, but I think he'd have made a similar raise with the same hand. He was also second highest stack on the table...

I lost about 60% of my stack in the end. Limped and lost the rest of it within the following hour.

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I to am thinking along the same line as Pking, since you have him pegged as a very TAG player this 10xBB bet is screaming AA - QQ maybe AK? and you being chip leader I think you should have folded.

Edit: what was your image at this table?

C

chrisash

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I to am thinking along the same line as Pking, since you have him pegged as a very TAG player this 10xBB bet is screaming AA - QQ maybe AK? and you being chip leader I think you should have folded.

Edit: what was your image at this table?

I suppose you're all right. I don't know - I hate to throw away hands like this as chip leader, but maybe I do need more discipline.

My table image was also of being very tight... maybe not as tight as the raiser, but I do have a reputation in my local card rooms as a tight player.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
See bold.

Tourney earlier today, late stages, I'm the biggest stack, I'm in late position.

Cards dealt... I have KQ suited. Everybody folds except mid-position player (who I have pegged as a very tight player) who raises 10x BB. Comes back to me and I call. Calling a huge raise against a tight player with KQ suited is not a good move here. A 10X raise from a tight player should tell you he has a better hand than KQ suited.

Flop - AKK

Raiser decides to raise me another 10k. I go all in with trip kings. He turns over AA. With another raise for a tight player with a flop like that, it should tell you he has either AA or AK.

Any mistakes here, or just bad luck?

amygrantfan

amygrantfan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i personally don't think that kq warrants a 10x call pre-flop, especially from a tight player. but even a loose player, if they have ace anything, they are ahead pre-flop. i would lay down at that point. however, once you see the flop, i don't think there's any folding.