tricky spot in a SnG opinions?

T

tuckerthecat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just faced a pretty tough spot in a SnG, it was down to 4 people, the blinds were 500,1000.

I was UTG with 1200 chips & due to be BB next hand, I was delt J,10 unsuited.

The big blind only had 200 chips left after posting the big blind. The table has been not very aggressive & has folded the blinds to the BB a few times ( but never on my BB for some reason )

what do you do in this situation? Fold & pray the SB calls & takes out the BB or push all in & pray J,10 hold up?

I ended up pushing all in, my reasoning being J,10 is likely going to be better than my next hand & if the BB won the hand I'd be in a horrible spot with everyone having over 2k chips & me having 200.

Unfortunately for me SB called & BB called ( obviously ), SB had J,4 & BB had KQ, I didnt improve & finished 4th.

C

colin_147

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You definitely made the right move. J10s is a pretty decent hand 4 handed, and with the blinds at this stage you have no option but to take your chances

You didnt improve but that happens. The problem with these small SnG's is that the blind levels rise ridiculously quickly, leaving you no option but to play aggressively and enjoy a bit of luck

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a definate push here or a push next hand... either or you need to take a stand and hope for the best here or when the blind hits you. Both of your opponents called of course cause it cost one 700 more in chips and the other 200 more in chips.

What I will guess here is that the table became very passive cause everyone was afraid of busting out on the bubble cause only the top 3 seats paid.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How you managed to end up with only 1200 left without having pushed earlier, is the question you should be asking yourself.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
F Paulsson said:
How you managed to end up with only 1200 left without having pushed earlier, is the question you should be asking yourself.

He could have called a push from a stack 1200 shorter than him in the previous hand and lost? :p

Anyway, push with any above-average hand here. JTs falls into that category.

T

tuckerthecat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
re

well when you are chip leader & push with AK 2 hands in a row & lose to A,8 then KQ, you are now small stack & are faced with these decisions.

After running ITM of 48% with a ROI of 29% over the last 100 SnG's I'm currently on my worst run ever. I've just now finished out of the money in my 14th straight SnG! I'm gonna change my screen name too "habitual race loser" I cant win a race right now to save my life!

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a gamble either way - JT isn't anything at all special - you'd have been about even money to get a better hand next round. What may have swung it for me would have been the chance that next round you may have been guaranteed the money, so I'd have probably waited and taken my chances on the next round instead.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd push.
With the blinds taking all but the rest of your stack the next hand, you can't gamble that you'll get better cards next hand. I Push and hope that it holds up.

SexyAceJoker

SexyAceJoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldnt let my stack get so small but, due to the fact the BB was left with 200 and we are certain that the SB wont fold, you could have folded to make the money, i would never do this, but in this situation i think it makes sense . Although pushing was a decent option two, you had a weak offsuit connector, so ethier way was fine, but once again why where you so shortstacked with blinds so big ?

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
F Paulsson said:
My point, which was horribly convoluted I realize now, was that you could push a much bigger stack than this in with an even weaker hand than this in this position.

And unless last hand was indeed the hand where you lost everything but 1200, if UTG folded, you should probably have pushed any two. But now JTs is what you got, and it's a pretty good hand, so go ahead.

T

tuckerthecat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
re

ya obviously you dont want to get yourself so short stacked, I was large stack 2 hands before losing 2 all-ins in a row ( VERY FRUSTRATING ) but such is life.

I decided to push cause I would be kicking myself if my J10 would of won & I was faced with going all in with 3,8 next hand. Oh well I'm bound to turn it around & start winning some races again.

thanks for the input