TPMK after flop

R

RMGreen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We're on the bubble of a low-stakes sit-n-go. I didn't have a great read at the time, but looking back Villan (SB) was playing pretty tight. He'd occasionally try to limp in to see a flop, but would usually fold easily if bet at (I'm assuming he missed those flops). He was also pretty careful when he bet, often checking or calling small bets with TP. The last time he made any dramatic moves was when he raised 4xBB preflop, and the called an AI bet for 2/3rds of his stack with AQs (which he won).

Stacks:
* BTN with 8475
* SB with 6750
* BB with 6870
* UTG with 3600
* MP with 1305

Blinds: 200/400
Site: pokerstars
* * Dealt to BB:Q♥ T♠
* * Sklansky group 6
Preflop:
* * 2 players fold.
BTN calls [400]
* * SB raises 800 to 1200 Hero calls [800]
* * 1 players folded.
* * Total folds this street: 3
* * Potsize: 2800
Flop: 5♣ 6♦ Q♣
* * SB bets [1200]
* * 1 players fold.
Hero ???

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

What would you do here?

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is blind versus blind so in a better game his hand and flop betting range would be pretty wide. It would also be useful to know how often he continuation bets his preflop raises.

In a low stakes game and given that you say he's been tight and maybe passive then that narrows his range quite a bit. Stack sizes make this a bit ugly as I'd like to raise at this point to say that I've got a hand, but that would leave you with not much left in chips.

I probably shove and hope he has JJ/TT/99 but to me this is really a feel situation where my guess on his range based on his play means more than anything else. In other words, if he's really tight/passive, then I let this go guessing a better kicker or overpair and I've still got enough chips to continue.

P

philj19

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Reraise to 4800. Put preasure back on him. he calls I committ after the turn. He moves he either as me or he doesn't.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I call this since we have position and re-eval on turn. If he fires out again I think we let this go if we don't improve. I don't see tight-passives double-barreling out of position very often without a real hand. Also, a club may slow him down and we can get to showdown cheaper. Raise-fold on the flop isn't bad either.

I'd probably fold this preflop considering our stack sizes.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With stack sizes, being on the bubble and B vs B, I fold this preflop. You should be targeting the 2 smaller stacks and not looking to get mixed up against a stack that can hurt you with a mediocre hand.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ya thinking about it i think it's a clear fold preflop. QTo is not a hand that's going to make best on the flop very often.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop, as played I'm making a big raise say 4800 like phil said and commiting myself to the hand.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really hate stacking off here with two much smaller stacks around.

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ye, u shouldn't be in the hand, what were you hoping to get ??

now, you're there with a though desicion to make, reraise or fold, as Baudib1 so rightfully mentions there are some small stacks floating, and that would lead to letting the 800 go and learn by the mistake.

R

RMGreen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think folding to his raise preflop was probably the right move. As you can see from the results below, I got a bit lucky, although I would have had a chance to get away from the hand if I missed the turn. Hard to say what I would have done in that case.

I also should have recognized that as a tight player he was making moves that suggested a pretty good hand. At the time though, what I had more in my mind was how he was pushed out of a number of pots by raises, so that's what I did.

In the end, I put him AI with the best hand, although he was drawing to 12 outs on the river to beat me. That being said, it looks like I probably just got lucky on this one.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Hero raises 1200 to 2400
* * SB calls [1200]
* * Potsize: 7600
Turn: [10d]
* * SB: checks Hero bets [3245] [ all-in ]
* * SB calls [3125] [ all-in ] Uncalled bet (120) returned to Hero
* * Potsize: 13970
River: [9s]
Results:
* * SB shows a pair of Queens: [Qd] [Kd]
* * Hero shows two pair, Queens and Tens: [Qh] [10s] Hero collected 13975 from pot