Tough Spot Early in 750k

burton_boy

burton_boy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Full Tilt Poker Game #7113034556: $750,000 Guarantee (52052157), Table 259 - 10/20 - No Limit Hold'em - 18:06:41 ET - 2008/07/06
Seat 1: Snudur (5,550)
Seat 2: Chili_01 (3,040)
Seat 3: ChuckSty (2,970)
Seat 4: LuckyBoard (2,910)
Seat 5: MunEGrubber (190)
Seat 6: frankie0324 (2,980)
Seat 7: augustwest11 (3,000)
Seat 8: viperlb (3,360)
Seat 9: p2kelly (3,000)
MunEGrubber posts the small blind of 10
frankie0324 posts the big blind of 20
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to LuckyBoard [3h 3c]
augustwest11 folds
viperlb raises to 40
p2kelly folds
Snudur folds
Chili_01 folds
ChuckSty calls 40
LuckyBoard calls 40
MunEGrubber raises to 190, and is all in
frankie0324 calls 170
viperlb calls 150
ChuckSty calls 150
LuckyBoard calls 150
*** FLOP *** [3d 4h 7d]
frankie0324 bets 520
viperlb folds
ChuckSty folds
LuckyBoard calls 520
*** TURN *** [3d 4h 7d] [6c]
frankie0324 bets 2,270, and is all in

So aside from the obvious that I should have re-raised the flop, I was hoping for a high card, A or K as I don't believe they hit the and wanted to get some profit, what do I do now? There aren't that many hands better than mine, but would someone really bluff off their stack this early on in such a large tournament?

Damnit I'm so frazzled I can't even spell tough...

Last edited:
naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow, this is a tough spot, I don't know to tell u but I wouldn't really risk it this early on

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You already told me what happened, so I will just let other people think about it.

C

Craized

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard decision, would he call a 8.5BB reraise preflop with 5-6 and the original raiser still left to act behind him? To me, an overpair makes more sense here, why would he shove with the absolute nuts instead of betting for value. Too bad we don't have more info on this guy. What's the buy-in? Rebuys?

burton_boy

burton_boy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's the buy-in? Rebuys?

Buy in is $200+16 and I satted in. no rebuys.
I have nothing on him at the time as this is about 5 hands in.
I looked him up and he plays mostly $26 and $75 tourneys.

I am more worried about pp 4-7, maybe A5 suited than anything else. I just now that I couldn't push with anything less than a set in a tourney as big as this. If he called with 56 or the like then damn.

burton_boy

burton_boy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also original raiser is all in... Well not the min raiser, but the all in raise...

C

Craized

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold and wait for a better spot imo.

C

Craized

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also original raiser is all in... Well not the min raiser, but the all in raise...

The min raiser is who I was talking about, I think it's too early to risk this much on such a nasty board. (sorry for the double post)

pitter22

pitter22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I say call... your not gunna get a better chance than this.. he most likely has an overpair or less likely top set. he wouldnt push with the straight.. what was the outcome ??

S

SankTheTank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd fold this hand. The reason for this is that 1) it's early in the tournament, 2) there are just too many hands right now that could beat three of a kind threes. Personally, I think he's got a straight... Ace-Five would be my guess and he's trying to double up early to gain a quick lead. Outcome, please?

burton_boy

burton_boy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LuckyBoard has 15 seconds left to act
LuckyBoard has requested TIME
LuckyBoard folds
frankie0324 shows [Ts Tc]
MunEGrubber shows [Ks Jd]
Uncalled bet of 2,270 returned to frankie0324
*** RIVER *** [3d 4h 7d 6c] [Kh]
frankie0324 wins the side pot (1,040)
frankie0324 shows a pair of Tens
MunEGrubber shows a pair of Kings
MunEGrubber wins the main pot (950) with a pair of Kings
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1,990 Main pot 950. Side pot 1,040. | Rake 0
Board: [3d 4h 7d 6c Kh]
Seat 1: Snudur didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: Chili_01 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: ChuckSty folded on the Flop
Seat 4: LuckyBoard (button) folded on the Turn
Seat 5: MunEGrubber (small blind) showed [Ks Jd] and won (950) with a pair of Kings
Seat 6: frankie0324 (big blind) showed [Ts Tc] and won (1,040) with a pair of Tens
Seat 7: augustwest11 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: viperlb folded on the Flop
Seat 9: p2kelly didn't bet (folded)

The worst part about it was that this "frankie" had my number the whole tourney after this hand. I said nothing to the table about what I had, but damn.
I really wanted to call and to be honest I think the reason I didn't was the "size" or "allure" of the tourney. I have never played in one with a higher payout and I wanted to leave myself a chance to go deep in the tourney, and thus didn't want to be all in so early. I felt really dumb after this one, I should have raised the flop, and in reality there is no way I should have folded on the turn. Really the only hands that beat me and were reasonable with the preflop call were pp 4-7 so WTF was I thinking. Next time around I make this call 100% of the time. AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
d'oh, too late.

It looked like an easy call to me to be honest. Were you scared of a 5? as pitter said, would you go all in here if you have just hit a straight, or would you slow down, betting half the pot and hoping for a call, or checking to slow play?

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy for us to say call here but i expect its different in the situation you were in mate. dont worry everybody learns from well cant really say it was a mistake because the risk was there! did u make the money in the end ?

C

Craized

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought about this more last night, and I think I'd shove on the flop. He's got either an overpair, a draw, or a bigger set. A bigger set is much less likely, if he's on a straight-flush draw you're still a 2:1 favorite, and you have an overpair crushed. I'd get my money in on the flop.

C

CfPoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't read the results yet...

Well, he obviously doesn't think you have the 5. So you might be against:

1) Overpair

Possible, but badly played I feel if that's what he has. With so many people in the pot an overpair is so vulnerable on this board. What does he think you're calling this flop with that an overpair beats? The only thing I can think of is the FD, seeing as one of the SDs hit.

2) Higher set protecting against the draws.

Possible, and even likely. Being outsetted doesn't happen often, but this is one hand where the action suggests it might be the case.

3) Straight, protecting against the draws.

Possible, but seeing as he was the first to call the preflop reraise, I find it unlikely he has the straight seeing as he bet out on the flop, so unless he has 65 I doubt he has the straight.

4) Flush draw semi-bluff

Possible, depends on the opponent.

5) 2 Pair

Given the preflop action I don't think this is likely.

I'd say it's a flip between overpair and higher set. That gives us pocket pairs 44,55,66,77 (all beat you). 88,99,TT,JJ (you beat) QQ,KK,AA (unlikely, would have reraised preflop).

The final consideration is I think if he has 88+ I don't think he's played it particulary well. The flop bet was fine if this is what he has, but I find the turn shove questionable. I'm concerned here more about being outsetted, and with still 2,000 chips at 10/20 blinds I'd lean towards folding this.

Michael69

Michael69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have probably folded. Depending on what my read is on the guy.
He could have had a higher pocket pair tho. Idk why he would call a re-raise with a 5-8 that early on in the tourny. So you probably had it won. Don't know.. Tought spot.

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have probably folded. Depending on what my read is on the guy.

Just out of curiousity, we are still in level one. What sort of reads are you looking at here?

pitter22

pitter22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah this call has to be made 100% of the time.. with the pf action no one is holdin a 5 unless they have pockets. but i understand the stakes of this tournament and putting it all on the line this early. enjoyed railin ya tho