Top pair in a sticky situation

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now, one piece of advice I give out to novices when they play, is "don't over-value top pair". This is one of those situations us more advanced players run into.

The villain in this situation was not exactly a sophisticated player. A big time calling station and pushes all in for bullying when given the opportunity. Usually playing mediocre cards. I base a lot of my play on reads and I thought I had this guy pretty well covered, and for the most part I did, but I made one crucial mistake. However, I believe that even though it busted me from the tourney, I think I made the right play (Theoretically speaking)

BTW: This is about the 10th hand in the tourney, I've played with villain before

Hero (me, of course) gets AKo and is UTG (Blinds at 5/10) raises to 50, one folds, then dealer (villain) calls, blinds both fold. *I put villain on just about anything at this point*

Flop: 7h Kc 5d *I believe the villain missed*

Hero bets out 100
Villain Calls

Turn: Qc *after the bet i Think maybe he did catch a 7, but I knew my K was good*

Hero bets 400
Villain calls

River: 9c *Thought of two pair, so I checked*

Hero checks
Villain pushes Hero all in for 2,000 *This is an overbet for him, if he had the two pair like I thought he'd've min-bet, because that's what he usually does*
Hero calls

villain has Jc 3c and busts me with his backdoor flush.

So, was this a bad play or just bad luck against a donk?

Last edited:
skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should lead the river for about 600-700. If he comes over the top all-in then you can fold and still have tons of chips left (1300 at 5/10 means M > 800). Checking the river is the problem. If you're ahead, you need to value bet, and if you're beat, his over the top raise will tell you.

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I recognise that my commentary might be scewed by the results, However One thing that I look at is the betting pattern.

5x BB - Called
near Pot bet ( good ) - called
Over Pot bet ( very good considering your read ) - Called
Check - raise all-in - call.

The trouble is because you see him as a rubbish player and as a result you have got attached to TPTK. You asked questions and got answers. I agree that answers were misleading once you see the result - but you did choose to ignore them.

When you take a step back, The betting pattern tells me he has a better hand than TPTK. ( no matter how he got it ).

Very hard to put down when you have a read - but one thing to remember is that even rubbish players can get good hands.