Top Pair: good enough for all in?

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The blinds are 20.40 and I'm to the left of the big blind and I'm dealt As, 5s. I call as well as three other players. Big blind checks. The board comes:

Ac, Qh, 3c.

I bet 200 in chips. The player to my left goes all in with 1,600. The three players fold as well as the big blind. Now, I know this player well and he goes on tilt very often and plays ANY hand. Still, he could have two pair or even a set. Then, he starts sending mixed signals. First he says "Just thorw away your A, Q." Then, a friend talks to him and he states "I think I won't last long now." So many factors to consider. I have a low kicker an outside chance for a straight. I have him covered but maybe I should fold.
But, I call and show my As, 5s. He revealed...you guessed it... pocket 3s which gave him trip 3s. Needless to say, I was done. Maybe it was a dumb move. What would you do considering the situation and what I know about the player?

twizzybop

twizzybop

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He actually egged you into calling him.. but UTG with Ace, 5.. Any kicker could just about beat yours. Not to mention he could have A,3 himself cause you said he plays any 2 cards.. Folding would have been your best option

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not call here. You really have no idea where you stand when you both limped in. He could be on a flush draw, hit with two pair, etc.

I would want at least A 10 to even consider making the call. Way to many hands have you beat here or are drawing to top anything you could get.

I would wait until i had a better hand to make a move. Top pair and a low kicker is not what I want to finish my tournament on.

Ima6T4

Ima6T4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I really hate playing the A with a low kicker. It's burned me more times than not. GF feels like I do, that a 10 or higher is usually a comfort guide for me to call in that situation. Add to the mix your opponent's traits and it becomes a real crap shoot, but I would have folded on this one.

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are limping with A5s UTG, you need to reconsider your approach to the game...

If I ever play A5s from EP I'm coming in for a raise, limping this hand here is horrible IMO.

Fold preflop, Fold to the re-raise, you took your shot at the pot and someone is showing you that they have a better hand. Not many players will make this bet without a set, two pair, or a hand like AK or AJ. FOLD and reconsider why you limped with A5s in the first place.

KillerKat

KillerKat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh a definate drop. I know you say this guy can be a bit of a maniac. But calling an all in bet this early in the game with top pair and crap kicker. Save yourself for when you know you have the best hand. And if hes the maniac you say he is, you will get him later.