Ten's Over Nine's

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars Game #5892409411: Tournament #29838095, $3.00+$0.40 Hold'em No Limit - Level III (25/50) - 2006/08/12 - 17:01:10 (ET)
Table '29838095 1' 10-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: DKB1Chop (1260 in chips)
Seat 2: yamaha1253 (2180 in chips)
Seat 3: BOHICA5 (1470 in chips)
Seat 4: coelis (1340 in chips)
Seat 5: Jtex00 (1770 in chips)
Seat 6: SpartaGa (1210 in chips)
Seat 7: fatdaddy68 (2720 in chips)
Seat 9: Sot10 (1415 in chips)
Seat 10: mischman (1635 in chips)
yamaha1253: posts small blind 25
BOHICA5: posts big blind 50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mischman [Ts As]
coelis: folds
Jtex00: folds
SpartaGa: folds
fatdaddy68: folds
Sot10: calls 50
mischman: calls 50
DKB1Chop: raises 100 to 150
yamaha1253: folds
BOHICA5: folds
Sot10: calls 100
mischman: calls 100
** FLOP ** [Th Tc 9d] I think my flop descision was correct to sit on it?
Sot10: checks
mischman: checks
DKB1Chop: bets 150
Sot10: folds
mischman: calls 150
*** TURN *** [Th Tc 9d] 9♥ How was my raise here? Should i of bet out?
mischman: checks
DKB1Chop: bets 150
mischman: raises 200 to 350
DKB1Chop: calls 200
*** RIVER *** [Th Tc 9d 9h] 2♥ Should i of checked? Thoughts on the size of my raise?
mischman: bets 400
DKB1Chop: calls 400
*** SHOW DOWN ***
mischman: shows [Ts As] (a full house, Tens full of Nines)
DKB1Chop: mucks hand
mischman collected 2325 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2325 | Rake 0
Board [Th Tc 9d 9h 2h]
Seat 1: DKB1Chop (button) mucked [Ac 9s]<<(Didnt know he had 2nd nuts). Based on knowing and not knowing what he had. Answer my above questions.
Seat 2: yamaha1253 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: BOHICA5 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: coelis folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Jtex00 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: SpartaGa folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: fatdaddy68 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: Sot10 folded on the Flop
Seat 10: mischman showed [Ts As] and won (2325) with a full house, Tens full of Nines

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks fine. I might repop a little more on the turn and lead for a little more on the river, but still, looks fine.

Stick66

Stick66

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
(For some true-blue, non-results-oriented answers, try posting without the results next time. Anyone can 2nd guess when they know how it turned out.)

Pre-flop: I might have raised ATs from the CO, unless the Button was prone to raise late. Either way, you want to build a decent but not huge pot.

Flop: I think the rainbow flop made it OK to just call. If 2 suiteds were on board, raise his bet to scare away a flush draw.

Turn: The raise was OK. With the nuts, I might have called the turn and bet the river harder to rep a flush draw. I guess either way was OK.

River: See above. With your turn raise, your value bet here was a must. If you would have just called the turn, then a check-raise here could have been an option.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't know if I like A10s limping from the CO. I'm okay with playing the hand, but I think a standard raise is appropriate here to start. Plus, the CO will always get more respect than the button when it comes to raising. The button is the prime stealing position in an unraised pot. Now, since you limped and the button raised, I would say that (with two later position limpers in the pot) this screams of steal attempt. But he could have a solid hand (depends more on your read of him), so I think calling was appropriate to see the flop. Then if you miss, you can get out cheap and still in pretty good shape (unless you find this player to be very weak).

I like checking the flop here. The first limper checked and the preflop raiser is behind you, so you'll have a better idea where things stand now (and you've got a solid hand to play with). Preflop raiser makes a small ($150 into a $525 pot) (scared?) continuation bet from in postion. I also like the smooth call on the flop. Right now there are two hands that beat you, 10 9 and 99 (or he's on a straight draw).

So you go to the turn with an $825 pot and fill up your house right side up. I still like checking here. You have a player willing to do the betting for you that most likely has the 2nd best hand, checking is good here. He bets as expected. You're full, so you're not worried about straights and flushes now. With this board, you may be splitting the pot if he has a 10 or could only lose right now to 99. Time to find out how strong he is. I think the check raise is absolutely right, but I would have raised a little more, like 2 1/2 times what he bet (so like $375 more or $525 to go).

Ok, so you go to the flop with a $1525 pot and a blank hits. I like betting out here. You've called his bets and check raised him. If you check, he's most likely going to check behind you (as I've read his play in this hand as scared), so you need to value bet here. The bet amount was good. Too much more and you'd possibly scare him out, but I'd have gone as high as $600 tops. But I think $400 is good.

BTW...my responses are based on not knowing what he had (since I didn't want to be results oriented). If I knew he had second nuts, then I'd play similar until the turn, but would have raised a lot more starting on the turn and bet even more on the river.

And for those of you that noticed, I totally discounted the theory of pocket 99 once there was no reraise on the turn. I could have been totally wrong in doing that, but if this guy played this hand this way with pocket 99, then he is either a much better player than I credited or he was the largest donk there is. I just didn't see it or believe it.

Last edited: