My Stupid, Impatient, Freeroll call that cost me Tourney

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, first of all, I play on the microgaming network, and Since getting kicked off of one of the sites where I had generated a pretty nice free bankroll I have had to take my play elsewhere. I'm waiting on my funds to be reimbursed and i'll probably head to pokerstars, but as of now I still play on microgaming/prima poker network. They have the best freerolls for those trying to earn a free bankroll.

Anyway this is the holdem freeroll about 4550 entrants. This freeroll, I have won it 2 times (maybe 3), finished on the final table several times more. First gets $134.

Anyway its me and this dude that have been battling on much earlier blind levels, We had been on the same table and I had took a hefty amount of his stack before, probably enough to make him think I was picking on him, but he kept his composure, at least enough to make it to the final table.

Final table I went in with about a 2x chip lead, got it up to 3x and than got busted 2 x's in a row with hands that I was a huge favorite with after the flop. Anyway it ends up being me and the dude that had been battling a lot on the final table and were the final 2 left

By this point I know how he plays, he's been switching gears alot, but I know what gear he is on right now. I'm not stealing his blind as often and were seeing flops so it doesn't look like im bullying him. He's tightened up and if he doesnt hit the board he'll check it all the way down. I'm letting him see flops because i know i can pretty much pick up almost any pot he doesn't hit the flop and in heads up thats alot.

he has aboug 2.6 mill before hand and I have like 2.4 mill
I have something like q 8
pot is 400,000 (blinds 100,000/200,000)
Flop comes kh 3c jh
I check
he checks
4th street kh 3c jh 3d
I check
he checks
5th street kh 3c jh 3d 3h
I bet 200000
he reraises all in

Heres what went through my mind: He can't have anything, he checked it down to the river so i know he didn't hit the flop. Maybe he knows that I have nothing and he thinks I am weak with a half the pot bet so he knows he can reraise me being that I have nothing. I think he mightve raised with an ace. I am sure that he hasn't paired the board.

Unfortunately, I went with my reads without reading the board, I call WITH QUEEN HIGH, and he didnt pair like i thought, but he hit an ace high flush on the river(also, he either had a good read on me of having nothing pushing with only a flush on that board, or he just didnt realize what he was doing). I think I overlooked this because of all of the 3s, and probably the low possibility of a flush happening heads up.

Heres my mistakes IMO:
1. I didn't ask myself whether he was even capable of making a reraise all in bluff in this position. If I wouldve asked myself this I wouldve thought "NO, he's been playing pretty tight and he's not the type to risk it on that", that would've forced me to look at the board and at least give him credit for SOMETHING

2.it was a 2 million + call and I have nothing but QUEEN HIGH against someone who has been playing tight. This was obviously just an attempt to call a bluff, but it was far less worth it because not only was he playing tight, but I knew that I was a better Post flop player than him and I would have had much better opportunities than this considering we're letting each other see flops. It was definitely in my favor, he had a very small chip lead but he was playing real tight on the flop. I shouldn't have hesitated to lay this hand down and look for the next flop

3. again, I HAVE JUST QUEEN HIGH lol, if he's got a good read on me, he could reraising me all in with ace high and than im fried. Besides, he had been limping alot on the final table, probably had only raised once or twice and didnt even go all in that much.

I finished second got $110 not much off first, but its the principle, I didn't have to attempt to decipher a bluff right there, whether I wouldve been right or not, in that situation its not even worth it to gamble when you know you can dominate that other person. its better to get unlucky or get sucked out on than to make that call in this position.

Last edited:
aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember you only want to be ONE (and one only) step ahead of you opponent in levels of thinking... two +, and you just out thought yourself...

Y

young hova

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
man, thats a timeless point you just made alien. I definitely took it too far that time