Small buyin no limit poker tournamnet

M

mootsagootsa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Still at level one where the blinds are 25 and 50. Starting stack is 10,000. I have about 12,000 in chips. I'm in the big blind with KK. mid position opens for 200 and cut off calls. I raise 500 for a total of 700. Both players call. The flop comes J 8 3 rainbow. I bet 1600 and first raiser makes it 3200 second player folds.

What's my play?

cdntyler87

cdntyler87

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would raise call at the least

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a tournament with 10,000 chip starting stacks yesterday and the first level was 25/50. Was this in NH lol?

Anyhow, I will say this. Min-raises are suboptimal and don't extract maximum value. Also, they allow drawing hands to profitably continue. So when a player min-raises you should be conscious of their inability to play poker well. For example, even if they flopped a set on that flop, they are allowing 9T to profitably flat. They want to force that hand to make a mistake and call a raise that would have a negative expected value. I would probably just flat the min raise, and check call the turn, then evaluate the river. KK is just way too strong here and if the villain is value betting a non set hand (like 2 pair) we still have tremendous equity.

M

mootsagootsa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I called the bet and checked on the turn. The player now bet 5,000. I thought he had a set of jacks so I folded and showed the KK. He showed QQ.

I thought my 1600 bet had to be read as an over pair to the board. Now wish I just pushed all in after he raised me on the flop. If he had a set i think he would have just called hoping I bet again. Two pair was out of the question because he pre flop raised in fairly early position even though it's possible he had J8 suited but unlikely.

P.S. No it wasn't in N.H. it was in Florida at the dog track in Daytona.

M

mootsagootsa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes I don't follow my own advice.

Next day I'm in a similar small buy in tournament with a starting stack of 10,000. Blinds are 50/100. I limp in mid position with QQ. Rare that I do that but I did. Three of us see the flop and I have last position. Flop comes 862 rainbow. Player one bets 200 and player two raises to 1300. I make it 3,000 and player one folds and player two goes all in. I folded. I don't know what he had so I'm not sure if folding was the right thing to do.

Chances are if he flopped a set I probably would not have bet enough preflop to get him to fold a small pair. He also may have limped under the gun with an over pair to the board.

The reason for the title I used was After laying down KK the day before I decided the next time the flop is raised to a bet that it's not a set but I chickened out and will probably never know if I should have called. A8 or a smaller over pair is all I could beat.

I

Icebear847

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, stopping being so hard on your self, you live, you learn and get hugs. It is said that NLHE takes minutes to learn a lifetime to master. So ease up a little.

Two, your KK fold was likely to be a bad move given all the information, you can't always be afraid of a raise or LAGS are going to eat you up.

Three, your QQ was a good fold, again based off what information you provided. You limped with QQ ( I would wack you on the nose with a paper if I could ) and because you limped you let the small hands in for cheap, any small pair is very likely to limp in.

And given that the villain limped shoved, it just screams set. At best for your situation your villain would have 910 or 45, maybe even limped with 86 ( suited one gappers not uncommon to be limped by loser players) and your fading a draw. But like you said the only hands your beating here are Ax to the board and all none set small pairs, JJ-99,77,33,44. And he might have even been trying to be clever and limp AA or KK ( especially if its a low buy-in tournament with lots of fish )

So the summary of hands your beating vs hands your not, a fold was a correct play. Plus the blinds where at 50/100, so there is still plenty of tournament left to pick a better spot with.

PS....what you have learned about limping QQ? yeah, that's why we don't do that..lol, I limped AA once and got cracked off by 24 in the BB, I rarely limp those anymore... :)

Last edited:
I

Icebear847

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Grrr my phone posted my reply twice...( admin, please remove this one )

Last edited:
suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your fold with QQ seems good but you should have obviously opened with it in the first place. I agree that in the KK hand it does look too strong to fold there, check raising all in on the turn would have been the way to go.

If we just shove on his raise on the flop, he might fold as our range would become narrow for QQ to get away.

X

xxMorpheusxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like a bigger bet preflop like 750 or so. Like someone else said I would call and evaluate. When someone does something like that, I immediately think they have no idea what they're doing. I want to give them as much rope as they need to give me all their chips.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe I would have done the same. Do not blame yourself.

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KK and QQ are premium hands and so should raise and not limped with. and dont go broke in a limped pot unless you have the nuts or close to it. also depending on the table dynamics we should raise more. early in the tournament we cant put the tournament life at risk with just a pair.

B

bremensha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
small buy in with 10000 chips starting is a special one.
I would play it like a freeroll. Double up early is therefor asked for.
Raise to 700 is a little bit low as you are willing to put your whole stack in afterwards. Raising to 1000 makes it easier to play on the next streets.
Seeing no ace I would made pot sized bets afterwards.

Deep Bhavsar

Deep Bhavsar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would call and see the turn and river,,,.. :)
And only call if he bets on turn or river,
If he goes allin I call

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your raise pre is too small.

Could have done the same thing postflop. No regrets on the result.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KK hand; the preflop raise is ok but on the small side. In early levels I would like to 3bet a little larger than usual because people are more likely to play speculative hands. I would probably have 3bet to 800 but 700 is still ok.

The first raiser min raises you on a rainbow flop? Seems to me like a set would just flat to try to get more value...or raise bigger to end the hand now. Screams of top pair trying to "find out where he's at". And I would flat this bet and reevaluate on the turn. Your hand is too strong to fold to a min raise but if you re-raise the flop you'll only get called by hands that beat you. So flat.

In the QQ hand once you misplay it by limping then, yeah you have to fold to that much pressure. You have 1 pair. He's telling you he has that beat. Honestly I can't think of much in that range that you're beating cuz A8 would probably take their foot off the gas. It's like 80% you're beat, 10% he is overvaluing a 1 pair hand like 99 or A8 and 10% he is bluffing or semi bluffing. So good fold.