Slow playing top pair?

S

shwingzilla

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A little bit of opening info. I sucked out big against this kid earlier, so he was kinda on tilt, and he was already a maniac so he was betting into me like mad. Not exaggerating he called me EVERYTIME I bet into him preflop, except for one all in he didn't call. Also important to note his bet of choice was all in, whether he was bluffing or not. He went all in like once every three or four hands. I think our stacks were around 2-3k, if you're really curious you can figure it out by adding up the amounts we bet.

Dealer: Your cards Kd Qc
Dealer: Powerplay9 folds
Dealer: HEMAN66 folds
Dealer: shwingzilla raises 300
Dealer: singo2 calls 200
Dealer: Dealing Flop
Kc 5s Th

Dealer: shwingzilla checks
Dealer: singo2 checks
Dealer: Dealing Turn
Kc 5s Th 8s

Dealer: shwingzilla bets 600
Dealer: singo2 calls 600
Dealer: Dealing River
Kc 5s Th 8s 8h

Dealer: shwingzilla bets 1,000
Dealer: singo2 goes All-in 2,220
Dealer: shwingzilla calls 1,220
Dealer: singo2 shows Three of a kind
8c 4h

Dealer: shwingzilla shows Two Pair
Kd Qc

holduplaya

holduplaya

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry shwingzilla but I think this thread was tripled...

S

shwingzilla

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
holduplaya said:
sorry shwingzilla but I think this thread was tripled...

Yea, is there a way I can delete threads?

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Fixed.

And for the record, that was sick. What a donk that guy was. I hope you put him on your buddy list so that you can track him down and take his money later.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AHHHH, the almighty power of the maniac. You never know when the idiot catches his cards. You could never see that one coming. He calls a raise with 84 preflop. Calls on the turn with 3rd pair and then hits one of 6 outs to smoke you on the river.

I never like to slow play top pair except heads up. I don't think you would have shaken this guy anyway from how you described him. Just remember, you can't cure stupid.

Another sign the poker gods have a sense of humor.

R

Ridin2Aces

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldnt say "never slow play top pair"
Allways bet and not small. Chase them draws out and take the pot down.
Your looking to get rivered by giving free cards. By betting you wont let the draws in cheap. And you will win more often.

M

Mad_Mike989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I think slow playing is stupid unless the situation is right like raising with a pocket pair and getting a call and spiking trips and even then I at least make the minimum bets. It was just a bad thing to happen. Just remember this: God takes care of the stupid, look at George Bush.

starfall

starfall

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since you said he was calling any bet of yours, then slow-playing top pair on the flop was a really bad play. In that situation his thinking would be that you hadn't paired, so the 8 turn made him think he was ahead, and from that point you had no chance of pushing him off the cards, and ended up losing on the river. I think raising on the flop would have been the best choice (because it would have the clearest +ve expectation, while the other play MAY have had a slightly higher +ve expectation on average, but would risk much bigger swings as well.)
I'd agree with putting him on your buddy list, as he's obviously taken in by basic slow-playing tactics and can be put on tilt, so he's a good player to be against in general, though.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should never slow play top pair. The remaining players you are up against may catch two pair or even a straight on the river. The runner runner eights is your lesson in slow playing top pair.

Ima6T4

Ima6T4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I expected to see Shermstick reply to this thread. In the nightly series, twice his K's (which both times became sets) ended up losing out on river flushes. With tops I feel you gotta bet em when you get em.

El Viajero

El Viajero

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like slow playing top pairs at all. I will only slow play very strong hands as I hate it when I give away one free card too many. Also, why didn't you get a value bet in on the flop? You said yourself that he'd call any raise you made.