Should I have played this hand differently?

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 12 players left in the Big Ten Tournament on PokerStarsPA, I was in the top 5 and was dealt pocket Queens. Check out the hand replayer below for the hand.

After the hand was completed, I asked a popular PokerStarsPA player 'accidental grenade' if he thought I played the hand ok. He suggested I should have 3-bet with the Queens in that spot.

Tell me what you think.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224Tlemrv

V

VadaPav

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes that was Good fold. If two players are raising that huge then its definitely a fold.

You played that hand well.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Based on how the hand played out I think your fold was correct here.

As for how I would have played this hand. I agree with you friend here and would have 3 bet the Queens here. While you were destined to loose the chips here I think 3betting instead of calling would have been better play.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good Fold

With 12 players left in the Big Ten Tournament on PokerStarsPA, I was in the top 5 and was dealt pocket Queens. Check out the hand replayer below for the hand.

After the hand was completed, I asked a popular PokerStarsPA player 'accidental grenade' if he thought I played the hand ok. He suggested I should have 3-bet with the Queens in that spot.

Tell me what you think.

I know just how difficult it is to throw away a premium hand like QQ, however you did the right thing, you are close to the big payout and letting others kill themselves off is the best play, well done....and what was the final outcome for the tourney for you?:):):)

S

Supathug007

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with the 3 bet line

If it was me playing I would have 3 bet then when the short stack shoves and the pocket Jack's call or shove over the top its a snap CALL for me. Too many times people play AKo and AKs in the same way, Just imagine if they were both holding AK or similar. QQ is just too strong to lay down here, especially when you have the aggressor covered by so much.

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The out come of the tournament I was part of a three way icm chop I made $353.00

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Q's are tough. You're in a good spot tourney wise, a reraise there *is* a good play, but with the blinds where they were, putting out basically 10%, you left yourself the option to fold when they went batshit. Which folding obviously was a good call as it turns out. Very hard to do with Q's, especially if you'd been folding awhile. As far as 3 betting with that stack....? You 3 bet up to 40 or so, that's 1/3rd for sure. Then it's a real tough fold after that. Also, if it was a different situation and it went to the flop and a Q hit, likely big payday. Can't say as i would have had the discipline to not bump it up, but glad it all worked out tho!

J

JAJONGLEUR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if you had raised, it would have been either go all-in or fold when Kings shoved. You saved some of your chips from what I could tell. I don't think either player wasb going to fold.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even with ICM implications I think, you need to be willing to get it in preflop with QQ in this situation. There are only 6 players on the table, you start with around 40BB, and the guy behind you only had 16BB. QQ is a stardard 3-bet in this situation, and even as played I think, you need to call it off. Only UTG can bust you, and if he happen to wake up with AA or KK, then it was just your time to die.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I plugged the hand into ICMizer now, and as the discussion reflects, this spot is somewhat close. If a player on the other table is running on fumes, then QQ is a fold, but in general its a marginal call as played. If however Hero had 3-bet and then faced this same action behind him, QQ would be a fold and only KK+ a call. The reason for that is, that both the other guys are supposed to be jamming much stronger, when Hero has 3-bet rather than just called, and this overrides getting a better price.

UTG is however not supposed to overjam JJ facing a 3-bet and a 4-bet jam behind him. So if we assume, that everyone were playing optimal, then the sequenze of action should have been raise from UTG, 3-bet from Hero, cold 4-bet jam from BTN, fold from UTG, call from Hero, and then Hero play a "flip" for 40% of his stack, where in this case he would have lost to KK. I hope, this ICMizer analysis is helpfull to OP and others reading the post.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well the "textbook correct play" would have been a reraise preflop . however in the end it was good that you didnt obiously .

but did you put the guy on kings or aces in the first place btw ?

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good evening to you Baldy86 your question was did I put the guy on Kings or aces in the first place. Looking back on it when hoot your loot the original raiser under the gun 4 bet shoved all-in I thought that one if not both the opponent's had me crushed and I was not going to die on the hill this close to making a big score on a hand in those circumstances no way no how I thought one of them had me beat at the least and depending on stack if I picked the wrong player I've been out of the tournament but I did think one if not both of them have me crushed. To me it was not the time to put the Line in the Sand and there was always a better spot thank you for responding to my thread.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I plugged the hand into ICMizer now, and as the discussion reflects, this spot is somewhat close. If a player on the other table is running on fumes, then QQ is a fold, but in general its a marginal call as played. If however Hero had 3-bet and then faced this same action behind him, QQ would be a fold and only KK+ a call. The reason for that is, that both the other guys are supposed to be jamming much stronger, when Hero has 3-bet rather than just called, and this overrides getting a better price.

UTG is however not supposed to overjam JJ facing a 3-bet and a 4-bet jam behind him. So if we assume, that everyone were playing optimal, then the sequenze of action should have been raise from UTG, 3-bet from Hero, cold 4-bet jam from BTN, fold from UTG, call from Hero, and then Hero play a "flip" for 40% of his stack, where in this case he would have lost to KK. I hope, this ICMizer analysis is helpfull to OP and others reading the post.

Thank you for posting

These posts of yours are very helpful. Please continue and thank you for sharing this with us all.:party:

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ty eetenor I will try to put up more hands as the need applies ty again and have a nice day.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Tell me what you think.

a little questionable, but you knew your opponents ... It was a perfect decision, a nice job! :)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good evening to you Baldy86 your question was did I put the guy on Kings or aces in the first place. Looking back on it when hoot your loot the original raiser under the gun 4 bet shoved all-in I thought that one if not both the opponent's had me crushed and I was not going to die on the hill this close to making a big score on a hand in those circumstances no way no how I thought one of them had me beat at the least and depending on stack if I picked the wrong player I've been out of the tournament but I did think one if not both of them have me crushed. To me it was not the time to put the Line in the Sand and there was always a better spot thank you for responding to my thread.

I agree completely 100% with your line, and the fold.

For this exact reason - and so many examples of QQs losing to KK+ & A/x - I have put QQs into my calling range - and playing soundly post-flop, unless obviously circumstances dictate a required 3bet - which in this instance I think a 3bet is not required - and even less required as a call with the action that happens after your call.

Nice work!

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Since it turned out well, I also think that you played it well. But of course QQ would have been worth a 3 bet, but whether it is worth going allin preflop is another question. It's not easy for a lot of people to fold QQ but you did it and as it turned out it was the right decision.

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes u did the right thing you don’t want to go out in that situation, I’ve been there before

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I agree that you should have 3 bet. It is just too strong a hand and you want to isolate the raiser. What you don't want is 2 people to call after you and an over card hits. Or a wet board and bunch of raises and re-raises. It actually worked out because you weren't eliminated.

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good fold, I would have probably been in myself. What's not obvious is what did you know about the other players leading up to this hand

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Tell me what you think.

In my opinion you made a great fold, as no matter what you did facing a raise from the player before you, the player with Pocket Kings was going to shove anyway, I know I would have done in his position.
He certainly would not have folded Kings pre-flop, no matter how much you bet, Hand's like A/A, K/K, and Q/Q, are so easy to to fall in love with, but at the end of the day they are just 2 cards, and any 2 cards can get crushed, even after hitting Trips on the flop, Straight's, Flushes, even Quads are possible for any of the players involved.
That is why it is called a coin toss, In a live game I was once dealt 8/8 on the big blind and the player UTG raised all-in, I had played against him before and as he was down to about half his original stack, I put him on an Ace/Rag, and was willing to call with my Pocket pair, 2 other players who I didn't know so well both called, which showed me they were willing to gamble, but were not entirely sure of their hands, so I assumed they both had either a Pocket Pair or A/K, A/Q, or similar.
Now there was 1 and a half stack's in the pot, and I initially thought about folding but! If I was correct in my assumption that they were all playing Ace/Rag hands, I had as good a chance of winning that pot with a mid Pocket Pair, as there was possibly only one Ace left in the deck, Biting the Bullet I re-raised all-in hoping to isolate the player all-in next to me knowing his Ace would be my only threat, and that would be lessened if my read on the other 2 was right.
They both decided they were pot committed and called my all-in, and low and behold I was right, They both had A/K and the player UTG had A/10 suited, I spiked trips on the turn and beat all three of them, Even if I hadn't hit the 3rd 8 on the turn, my 8/8 would still have beaten them all.
Lucky? or Skill? I don't know? But one thing for sure, was my ability to read the other players, like a Boss!:):):)

When the fun Stops, STOP!

A

arsenalcho_1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

great fold, I wouldn't fold, but I would pay him

frank174

frank174

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You made a great fold there,I would like to think I would have done the same but I'm going broke there no doubt about it great game :eek:

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands