Should I have bet the turn ?

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How did i play this hand ?

I am nervous about playing hands like this OOP when the flop doesnt fit my hand.

I won the hand but should I have bet out on the turn instead of perhaps waiting for him to catch up and make his hand on the river ?

***** Game number #10112841373 *****
$14,000 Guarantee (76590500), Table 46 - 40/80 - No Limit Hold'em - 12:55:54 ET - 2009/01/18
Hero posts small blind [40]
SB posts big blind [80]
Seat 6 (El) has the button.
Seat 1 : UTG with 2005 chips.
Seat 2 : MP1 with 8050 chips.
Seat 3 : MP2 with 3585 chips.
Seat 5 : hertigafkorv with 1900 chips.
Seat 7 : Hero with 4875 chips.
Seat 8 : SB with 8000 chips.
Seat 9 : BB with 4780 chips.

hand.pl

** Dealing hole cards **
Dealt to Hero :
:ah4: :qc4:
Sklansky group: 3
BB raises to 320
UTG has 15 seconds left to act
UTG folds
MP1 folds
MP2 folds
reigner folds
hertigafkorv folds
El Joosy folds
Hero calls [280]
SB folds
** Dealing Flop ** [Potsize: 720]
:9d4: :6c4:
th.gif

Hero checks
BB bets [415]
Hero calls [415]
** Dealing Turn ** [Potsize: 1550]
:6h4:
Hero checks
BB checks
** Dealing River ** [Potsize: 1550]
td.gif

Hero bets [640]
reigner has returned
BB has 15 seconds left to act
BB folds
Uncalled bet of 640 returned to Hero
Hero mucks
Hero wins the pot (1,550)
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1,550 | Rake 0
Board: [9d 6c Th 6h Td]
Seat 7: Hero (small blind) collected (1,550), mucked
Seat 8: SB (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 9: BB folded on the River
https://www.cardschat.com

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Converter messed this up pretty bad so I can't comment. Can't see how BB has the 1st action.

C

cardsDontMatter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep.. this HH is all kattywompus... but we know you won the hand.. soo..

At a weak table

AQ in position and out of position will wrack your brain. OOP, raise to win the pot right there. C-bet if you whiff, and shut down if you're called.

Re-raise in position, c-bet if you whiff, and check down or fold if you get resistance.

You want AAQ, QQA, KJT. HItting just the Queen or Ace gives a lot of players the feeling on invincibility.. temper the hand, you must be cogniscent of sets, AK, KK, QQ.

Tough table,
Fold OOP.

IP... call multiway; one or two limpers, standard raise to isolate... fold to any positional re-raise.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to assume villain is UTG and that you're SB. I think the hand is fine as is (I don't know what the buy in is but if it's relatively high, my comments may not apply).

I think betting the turn is fishy at best. You represented a solid hand by calling instead of raising the c-bet. So why would you try to push them off on the turn?

If they do have a hand on the turn and you bet only to get raised, what would you do? On the contrary, if you check and they double barrel, what would you do? In both cases, I would lean towards a fold in which case you save chips by not betting.

On the other hand, let's say you're opponent is on some sort of draw or just behind. If they have KhQh, you're in golden shape if a Q hits the river. The only hand you wouldn't really want to let them see another card is QJ which is kind of hard to envision them raising UTG with. Thus, I can't really see them drawing to anything more than a 6-7 outer and the check seems fine.

This seems like a weird hand where you might have pushed off a better hand. The only real alternative seems to be raising preflop. Without further reads / table image, that's all I can really think of.

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Please read this.

It will help you Learn.

so in other words you are saying that only if I LOSE a hand and want to learn from iot I should post?

and trying to do better with a hand I won is a waste of time?

I tend to lose a lot of money with pots in this situation so if you dont want to answer then rather butt out.

Thanks

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no he's saying don't post results.

in this example, without commenting on whether your river bet was good or not myself, you will invariably get people who look at the hand, see you won it with the river bet, and will say stuff like "GOOD RIVER BET U MADE HIM FOLD", i.e. will provide 'analysis' that is skewed by the results and hence pretty meaningless.

i really dunno where you got all the other stuff from.

riverboatrat

riverboatrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so in other words i need to post the original hand history ? gotcha

O

orioles32

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a bad play IMO because you're out of position. By calling on the flop, you have to hope that you go check/check on the turn, and then he misses the river. Despite the fact that all of that happened and you won the hand, you are hoping for too much to happen in order for you to win. Also, since he has position on you, it he can get a good read, he can go over the top on the river even if he misses, and you have to fold.

In position, I like the call on the flop, assuming you'll bet on the turn if he checks. Out of position, just let his continuation bet on the flop take down the pot.

J

JoeDi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Played well.. considering the cards on the board .. You dont want to let him make a hand but your position dictates part of the strategy.. Considering he raised on the flop and your hand.. Played well..

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think they mean post something like this:

How did i play this hand ?

I am nervous about playing hands like this OOP when the flop doesnt fit my hand.

Should I bet out on the turn so he don't make his hand on the river, on a hand like this?

***** Game number #10112841373 *****
$14,000 Guarantee (76590500), Table 46 - 40/80 - No Limit Hold'em - 12:55:54 ET - 2009/01/18
Hero posts small blind [40]
SB posts big blind [80]
Seat 6 (El) has the button.
Seat 1 : UTG with 2005 chips.
Seat 2 : MP1 with 8050 chips.
Seat 3 : MP2 with 3585 chips.
Seat 5 : hertigafkorv with 1900 chips.
Seat 7 : Hero with 4875 chips.
Seat 8 : SB with 8000 chips.
Seat 9 : BB with 4780 chips.

hand.pl

** Dealing hole cards **