• We would love to hear your thoughts! Click here to take a short survey on your CardsChat experience: Rate Your CardsChat Experience

Forum members receive 10 VIP Chips for participating (follow instructions on form).

Several questionable decisions.

Shoestringx

Shoestringx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
#Game No : 5616026570
***** Hand History for Game 5616026570 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny: 31412733 Level: 7 Blinds(300/600) - Friday, January 26, 01:08:33 ET 2007
Table Regular (908350) Table #2 (real money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: stever28 ( $11880 )
Seat 2: Stoffi666 ( $11020 )
Seat 3: Florimel_58 ( $2540 )
Seat 4: Shoestringxx ( $11784 )
Seat 6: DARBO1 ( $7890 )
Seat 8: doodingue ( $18660 )
Seat 9: smuggle_corp ( $7930 )
Seat 10: glynnjr ( $21860 )
Seat 7: lianglu ( $3060 )
Trny: 31412733 Level: 7
Blinds(300/600)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Shoestringxx [ Js Qs ]
smuggle_corp raises [1200]
glynnjr folds
stever28 folds
Stoffi666 folds
Florimel_58 folds
debbiemo has joined the table.
Player debbiemo has been moved from table 9 to this table
Shoestringxx calls [1200]
DARBO1 folds
lianglu folds
doodingue folds
** Dealing Flop ** [ Ts, 7h, 2s ]
smuggle_corp bets [600]
Shoestringxx raises [2400]
smuggle_corp calls [1800]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2c ]
smuggle_corp is all-In [4330]
Shoestringxx calls [4330]
** Dealing River ** [ 6c ]
smuggle_corp shows [ 4c, 4h ]two pairs, Fours and Twos.
Shoestringxx shows [ Js, Qs ]a pair of Twos.
smuggle_corp wins 16760 chips from the main pot with two pairs, Fours and Twos.

This is shortly after the first break in a $2 MTT on partypoker, no reads on anyone as I was just moved to this table before the break and had only seen 3-4 hands. I had slightly below the average stack size.

What mistakes did I make? Should I have just folded the hand outright? His minimum reraise to me seemed like either a low pocket pair, or maybe a suited ace.

I think I got myself in trouble on the flop, made a fairly large raise which he called with a pair of 4's. Maybe I could of just called his bet on the flop?

The call on the river... I had 4-1 on my money, with a flush draw, also I thought pairing my Q or J may also be outs so I made the call. This play essentially eliminated me, whereas winning it would have put me in a position to potentially do very well.

Any comments?

A

alan1983

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the guy thought he was losing the hand. The 2 came and he figured hed push and try 2 represent a 2.

I personnally like the reraise on flop since its very likely he missed the flop. But the guy i think thought himself too committed and wasnt gonna get away from that hand.

I generally dont like committin all my tourney on a draw though

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop. It's not terrible to call, but you have to know when to let your hand go with marginal hands like this and should only be committing any decent amount of chips with it if you hit the flop hard.

I actually like the flop raise; it's unlikely he's got any piece of this flop with a drawing hand, and his flop bet was incredibly weak. Then again I often times see a tiny bet like this as an attempt to sucker you in by thinking exactly that.

Then the turn we have a sticky situation again; we're pretty much a favourite over any hand that plays this way. Big pairs and sets definitely play it differently, and the majority of hands that play like this are AK-AJ and small or medium (non-set) pairs [preflop: good enough to raise, flop: weak c-bet and overcard chase/try to hold on with baby pair, turn: ok let's make a terrible block bet with the second deuce...]. We're really not that big of a favourite over those hands anyways, but we're now priced in with the big draw.

Which brings us back to point 1: dump it preflop to avoid this whole mess of a hand. You just lost 8 of your very healthy 11K with QJs. Toss it and wait for a better hand.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I like the call pre-flop. You have high suited connectors and position. I call here too. It's a tourney, sometimes you have to take chances to collect a large amount of chips. On the flop, you have a flush draw, 2 over cards and a backdoor straght draw. I probably call his small bet getting a cheap card to try to catch, any spade, king, queen, jack, or nine and I push the turn. If you miss completly, fold to his all-in, you have nothing yet and only one card to hit and you don't have much invested. Your reraise pretty much commited you to draw on the river which is why I just call there, YOu can still get out if you don't improve on the turn.