Rivered a boat..

Dewmz

Dewmz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars Game #15676391343: Tournament #79346654, $1.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2008/03/02 - 00:45:26 (ET)
Table '79346654 1' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 2: mengjing0202 (2855 in chips)
Seat 4: Dewmz (4600 in chips)
Seat 6: IvanGroznuy (2250 in chips)
Seat 7: mothernight1 (820 in chips)
Seat 8: Andreesen (1835 in chips)
Seat 9: robertove (1140 in chips)
mothernight1: posts small blind 50
Andreesen: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Dewmz [7d 8d]
robertove: folds
mengjing0202: calls 100
Dewmz: calls 100
IvanGroznuy: folds
mothernight1: calls 50
Andreesen: checks
*** FLOP *** [8c 8h 5d]
mothernight1: checks
Andreesen: checks
mengjing0202: bets 200
Dewmz: calls 200
mothernight1: folds
Andreesen: folds
*** TURN *** [8c 8h 5d] [Ts]
mengjing0202: bets 200
Dewmz: calls 200
*** RIVER *** [8c 8h 5d Ts] [7s]
mengjing0202: bets 800
Dewmz: ???

Yeah..I realized I should've raised on the flop, or maybe even the turn..to see where I was at..but I didn't.. what about on the river though? I have no reads on this guy, as I've been browsing online stuff to keep from falling asleep at this slow sng..

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your call on the flop you're not afraid of any draws except weird str8 draws that he's unlikely to have. On the turn I think you should have raised to build the pot. On the river you should put him all in, he's showed strength on all 3 streets so you don't have to sell your hand to him just put him all in.

Dewmz

Dewmz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my main worry about raising on the turn, was he had a stronger 8, but I still agree, I should've done so to see where I was at. Goin to bed for now, will post the result in the morning, hoping to have more input by then.

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is a pretty easy shove, you are only afraid of this guy having TT or 8T. The guy only has 1555 left in his stack (I think). If he has an 8, or an overpair or pocket 5s he isn't going to get away from his hand and if he is on some kind of weird bluff any raise you make is going to scare him off.

CrackaNACtion

CrackaNACtion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah id shove it. chances of u losing to a diffrent boat is very small. lmk how the hand went after u decide!

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this really a question? you really werent sure about what to do? Push this every single time your in this situation

Dewmz

Dewmz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dewmz: raises 800 to 1600
mengjing0202: raises 755 to 2355 and is all-in
Dewmz: calls 755
*** SHOW DOWN ***
mengjing0202: shows [Tc Th] (a full house, Tens full of Eights)
Dewmz: shows [7d 8d] (a full house, Eights full of Sevens)
mengjing0202 collected 5910 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 5910 | Rake 0
Board [8c 8h 5d Ts 7s]
Seat 2: mengjing0202 showed [Tc Th] and won (5910) with a full house, Tens full of Eights
Seat 4: Dewmz showed [7d 8d] and lost with a full house, Eights full of Sevens
Seat 6: IvanGroznuy (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: mothernight1 (small blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 8: Andreesen (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 9: robertove folded before Flop (didn't bet)

So I didn't push him all in..that a hole in my game? lol ..I was concerned about the 8-10, didn't even consider TT for some reason.. But when he increased his bet, and didn't push himself, I didn't expect to be beat. I thought maybe he had 8A or some such based on his river bet. So I raised there to try and get a fold. He reraised, and still thought he had A8, or K8

Oh yeah, I suck at poker btw ;)

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just as a comment mentioned that somebody with 55 couldn't get away from this hand, neither can you.

File this in the 'That's Poker' file, and forget it.

Dewmz

Dewmz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mentioned above, that I didn't shove earlier, because I thought my 8 was beat by a higher one. His flop, and turn bets were the same size, 200. Then on the river, when he bet 800 instead of pushing, I had him put on A8, K8, ..so I raised to see if he'd fold, or just call. Even the reraise didn't make me consider TT, and even less likely T8 (though it was possible)

Dewmz

Dewmz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just as a comment mentioned that somebody with 55 couldn't get away from this hand, neither can you.

File this in the 'That's Poker' file, and forget it.

Yup :p Although I wasn't upset at the outcome. I was nailing trips alot of the tourney, but it's all good and well.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope I didn't imply that I thought this hand bothered you. If so, sorry, was not my intent.

For me there are some hands that are actually a pleasure to lose. Sounds weird, but when I do everything right, with big cards, and villain does everything right with bigger cards, I usually laugh with glee at a perfect hand played perfectly even though I ended up on the bad side of things. Granted I would have preferred the stack to the rail , but that is not the point.

As this hand reads, even the one concern about you calling rather than raising , is moot because in the end more than likely all of the same chips would have been in the middle anyway. Irregardless of everything else there are a few flops which really defy giving or getting any real info. A paired flop or a trips flop, a flushed flop and 3 connectors to the straight. Each offers so much bluffing power that most humans can't deal with them well.

Your one and probably only chance to take this pot down was the flop bet. Had you shoved, it is possible, though I think probably unlikely, that villain might lay down his TT. This would be where any reads would help. You had none per your post.

Glad top hear your at that point where hand outcome doesn't tilt you. Your play here is one of several possible plays and in this case it didn't work out. If the turn/river fell the same, the other possible plays might not have worked out either.

Good example of the dangers of smooth plays rather than the aggressive 'take down this hand now' play with the shove.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dewmz;735427Then on the river said:
you raised the river o "see if he'd fold, or just call"... i mean, what does that even mean? it's not as if you can raise small, and if he reraises you know you're beat and can fold. he's pushing all better hands and you're calling the rest regardless, whether you're beat or not.

virtually any hand that can call the minraise is also calling if you put him all-in for a bit more. so shove the river. you act like minraising will somehow save you money in case you're beat... but it doesn't. however shoving the river maximizes profit when you're ahead, which you almost always are