Reraise with JJ, 2 callers, 1 all in...call or fold?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a fun hand. What do you do? What do you put your opponents on?

full tilt poker Game #3486992942: $5 + $0.50 Sit & Go (26644516) Table 1 - 20/40 - No Limit Hold'em - 5:04:39 ET - 2007/09/07
Seat 1: se7endustfan (1 165)
Seat 3: tapout11 (4 040)
Seat 4: Philthy (1 455)
Seat 5: RayBo57 (1 410)
Seat 6: raydi666 (1 395)
Seat 7: viciousloco (1 125)
Seat 8: simonlam (1 440)
Seat 9: papabare87 (1 470)
viciousloco posts the small blind of 20
simonlam posts the big blind of 40
The button is in seat #6

Holecards:
Dealt to Philthy [
diamJ.gif
spadeJ.gif
]
papabare87 calls 40
se7endustfan raises to 80
tapout11 folds
Philthy has 15 seconds left to act
Philthy raises to 320
RayBo57 calls 320
raydi666 calls 320
viciousloco folds
simonlam folds
papabare87 folds
se7endustfan raises to 1 165 and is all in
Philthy has 15 seconds left to act
Philthy has requested TIME

Blazing_Saddler

Blazing_Saddler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although a fold would be my ideal choice , there is an awful lot of dead money there. JJ is a hand I play with caution, I think your raise was to much to be honest, A min raise can often mean Aces, not a play i use, but a lot do, I always make a not of how people bet with aces.

So the chances are you are behind, but not certian. If they all call you are in a right spot of bother, but on the other hand, if they all call and you win :D

The honest answer is I dont know , if you fold, and the others all call, then that leaves you in a decent spot still

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ahhhhh, this is horrible. But your raise gave you the info you needed, it's time to get out of this hand. It was already bad news that 2 players to your left had called your raise making this, very likely, a 4-way pot. That already is just too much action for JJ if it doesn't improve.

Regardless of the meaning of the minraise/shove, which we can't be sure of because judging from the stacks this tourney is probably around 15 hands in, I like a fold here. I find it hard to believe that if we call the other 2 will fold, so even if there is a slight chance we're ahead (the shover could have an AK type of hand), there are too many bullets to dodge and all-in 3/4-way is almost always a bad idea with JJ.

Not that it makes a huge difference, but is this a STT?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah. Its an SNG.

I'll post the results in a couple of days. I just want to see a few more replies.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Raise should be to about $240 (not $320)
2. now fold, you have been lucky enough to find a table where super donks apparently will see any flop for any bet with the donk nuts JTs. It's possible that two more people will be eliminated here with the blinds still very low; = ideal

Christianello

Christianello

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion you must fold for your life!!!!!
Your wrong raise destroy every chance of playing a good but uncertain hand

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The results. I had put OR on a pair bigger than mine or AK. I didnt think OR would raise with anything less. So, i was either a slight favorite or I was dominated. I was confident I might have a better hand over my two callers, they could be holding a small pair, suited connectors or suited A/x. However, if they had called my re-raise that fast, I was sure they would call if I called the all in and I really didnt want to go 4 handed with JJ. Especially if I OR on KK or AK.

Philthy folds
RayBo57 has 15 seconds left to act
RayBo57 calls 845
raydi666 calls 845

Flop :
[
spade7.gif
heartK.gif
spade4.gif
]
RayBo57 bets 245, and is all in
raydi666 calls 230, and is all in
RayBo57 shows [
spade5.gif
spadeA.gif
]
raydi666 shows [
clubK.gif
club5.gif
]
se7endustfan shows [
heartA.gif
heart2.gif
]
Uncalled bet of 15 returned to RayBo57

Turn:
[
spade7.gif
heartK.gif
spade4.gif
] [
club10.gif
]

River:
[
spade7.gif
heartK.gif
spade4.gif
club10.gif
] [
spade3.gif
]
RayBo57 shows a flush Ace high
raydi666 shows a pair of Kings
RayBo57 wins the side pot (460) with a flush Ace high
se7endustfan shows Ace King high
RayBo57 wins the main pot (3 915) with a flush Ace high
se7endustfan stands up
raydi666 stands up

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's just amazing Philthy. In hindsight it was the best thing that you had those 2 callers after you because if this were only you and OR you might have convinced yourself to make the (correct) call and lost to A2.

Funny how the other 2 players not only called your 3bet, but also called the shove with those hands. Another example of how much people overplay soooooted hands at the smaller stakes, and how much of a crapshoot these games are. So the guy with A5s ended up winning a pot of 4.5k, of which 3.9k went in PF. That's just great, gotta love it.

I almost don't blame the player who shoved with A2s, with all the dead money in there he almost (and should of) pulled this off. He got the best hand to fold, I would've certainly done that too with JJ. For once, a bonehead play saved you a lot of chips.

Edit: Just read AG's post and his comment about your PF raise. I hadn't noticed it the first time. I agree that your raise PF should have been to 240. It's enough to reach your purpose and it keeps pot smaller.

Last edited:
T

theDONKSLAYER

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to lay that down..

Early in a tourament you have to lay that down. Maybe later on if you see people playing like total jackasses, then you could make call against a weak player. You'd want to make sure he isolated though, cause if you guys are in for a bunch of chips the only players who can call are players that have you beat. ;)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, my PFR was a bit too high. I was really trying to isolate against the OR, so that was the reason behind the raise.

Well, this is why I post in the HA...live and learn.

Folding in Poker