Re-raising a aggressive player

flint

flint

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This was a hand from the Full tilt poker 3 dollar knockout.

UTG+1 was very loose with a PFR of 25% and VPIP of 69.44% over 36 hands collected. We had some history as the second hand of the tournament he min-raised and I re-raised him and he called. I bet the flop and shoved the turn, he was playing with K8, after a Q84 flop. I showed down kings to take the pot.

Stacks:
* MP2 with 10035
* CO with 6039
* BTN with 1465
* SB with 2920
* BB with 11865
* UTG with 19214
* UTG+1 with 5025
* MP1 with 16620

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds: 80/160
Site: full tilt poker
* * Dealt to SB:8♦ A♠
Preflop:
* * 2 players fold.
* * UTG+1 raises to 320
* * 2 players fold.
* * CO calls [320]
* * 1 players fold.
* * Hero raises to 2,920, and is all in

I think that the shove here is good as I thought that UTG+1 could be playing almost anything here and the CO could be calling with a very wide range and seems a bit tight from the 9 hands I have seen. In addition I have been playing pretty tight and have only shown down a couple of pretty good hands (like the kings against UTG+1 earlier).

There is also argument not to push here, as the tournament has been super loose and I might just be a marginal favorite or coin flipping for my whole stack.

So what do you think?

The results have been hidden.

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

P

PuffinNugs420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The push

I understand your rationalization on pushing there and I dont think its a bad idea but the only prob. i would have with it would be how deep in the tment you were. From what I read, it sounded like maybe the middle rds. but if thats the case, I prob. wouldve just called to see the flop. You still had plenty of chips left even if calling 320 preflop. I just dont know if i couldve put all my chips on the line preflop w/ A-8 unless i was severley low stacked or already in the $.

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After a raise and a call, I'm folding A8 under almost any circumstance and would not consider a shove. Even if it were just the loose UTG+1 player with no overcall, why shove there? Sure, he could have a wide range, but you don't have much to push him off it and if he actually does have something (as a friend of mine says, "even a blind squirrel can find a nut every once in awhile") you're in trouble. I'd wait for a better spot.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was a hand from the Full tilt poker 3 dollar knockout.

UTG+1 was very loose with a PFR of 25% and VPIP of 69.44% over 36 hands collected. We had some history as the second hand of the tournament he min-raised and I re-raised him and he called. I bet the flop and shoved the turn, he was playing with K8, after a Q84 flop. I showed down kings to take the pot.

Stacks:
* MP2 with 10035
* CO with 6039
* BTN with 1465
* SB with 2920
* BB with 11865
* UTG with 19214
* UTG+1 with 5025
* MP1 with 16620

hand.pl

hand.pl

Blinds: 80/160
Site: Full Tilt Poker
* * Dealt to SB:8♦ A♠
Preflop:
* * 2 players fold.
* * UTG+1 raises to 320
* * 2 players fold.
* * CO calls [320]
* * 1 players fold.
* * Hero raises to 2,920, and is all in

I think that the shove here is good as I thought that UTG+1 could be playing almost anything here and the CO could be calling with a very wide range and seems a bit tight from the 9 hands I have seen. In addition I have been playing pretty tight and have only shown down a couple of pretty good hands (like the kings against UTG+1 earlier).

There is also argument not to push here, as the tournament has been super loose and I might just be a marginal favorite or coin flipping for my whole stack.

So what do you think?

The results have been hidden.

Poker Hand Converter By Cardschat.com Poker Forum

Hello,

I agree with your assessment. Villian will play just about anything it seems. A-8 has added value against this opponent.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think jamming here is a bad move by any means but it is not what I would have done in game (doesnt make me right just my opinion). I would like this move a lot more if I was very confident that both players are going to fold. When we make this play, it is a high variance play that we are doing because we want to pick up the money in the pot. If we get called by the top 25% of hands which is what UTG+1 raises, I think we are probably 60/40 ish at best (did not use a solver so someone can add to this if they would like). Given that and knowing that UTG+1 is not a folder but a raiser and caller, I would just fold this hand. I havent even factored in CO which you mentioned is tight. Yes, if they were strong they should have 3 bet but you never know.

Too much uncertainty that it will not go fold fold in this hand after our jam and knowing that we would probably be ahead of UTG +1 range but would probably not be crushing it, I like just folding here with 18 or so BB.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Vs a bad aggro player like villain, I think you can find a better spot to get all your chips in vs him than A8o.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything is clear with a player on UTG+1, but how can you be sure that you do NOT have a good hand and you will not be dominated? I think this hand is not very suitable for squiz, it is better to either full bluff or a strong hand, but with A8 it seems to me at a distance this is a minus action.:)

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Vs a bad aggro player like villain, I think you can find a better spot to get all your chips in vs him than A8o.

Exactly this - when we have terrible players at our table - we don't have to get out of line and start squeezing super light like you are doing here - why not? Because these maniacs will literally GIVE you all the chips! You just have to be patient.

I'm not saying dont open up against them a little bit - just take guys like that to the bank! In the example earlier you said he took 2nd pair to the river - thats the very definition of a calling station! This guy is a dream to have at the table - dont spew just because he does!

Take villans like this - bluff less, and value bet more and bigger. When they aren't willing to fold, charge them the max (within reason) and get paid!

A8o plays just terrible post flop - id rather see you squeeze with like KQo, KJo, QJs or ATo here - they all have relative blockers to strong Broadway combos - and when called by wide villans, generally fair decently well.

Point is just dont stoop to their level - play smart and they will hang themselves without you getting out of line and risking being picked off by someone else.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
way too loose to be squeeze jamming here w A8o

whatever your read vs utg1 you still have to respect his position here

and he's vpip is 69% meaning you are likely to get a call here because of your stack size relative to his

make it at least A8s, if you want to squeeze jam

but my minimum holding to squeeze jam vs your opp reads is still ATs+ KQo+ 77+