RE-RAISE DOOMED ME??

S

Slingblade

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I see a couple mistakes here that i made,, first off the raise pre-flop and what killed me was the re-raise I made after the flop, now I'm committed and cant get away from his all-in. Tell me what you think and go easy... I'm new here.

pokerstars Game #7655158607: Tournament #39085336, $5.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2006/12/28 - 23:08:46 (ET)
Table '39085336 2' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 2: Stefanicov (1450 in chips)
Seat 3: mischman (1990 in chips)
Seat 4: Sammyv1 (970 in chips)
Seat 5: Slingblade69 (1740 in chips)
Seat 6: gord962 (1420 in chips)
Seat 7: t1riel (1540 in chips)
Seat 9: Amador Ed (1390 in chips)
gord962: posts small blind 10
t1riel: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Slingblade69 [Ah Jd]
Amador Ed: folds
Stefanicov: raises 40 to 60
mischman: folds
Sammyv1: folds
Slingblade69: raises 60 to 120
gord962: folds
t1riel: folds
Stefanicov: calls 60
*** FLOP *** [6s 5c Ac]
Stefanicov: checks
Slingblade69: bets 200
Stefanicov: raises 200 to 400
Slingblade69: raises 480 to 880
Stefanicov: raises 450 to 1330 and is all-in
Slingblade69: calls 450
*** TURN *** [6s 5c Ac] [4d]
*** RIVER *** [6s 5c Ac 4d] [2h]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Stefanicov: shows [6c 6d] (three of a kind, Sixes)
Slingblade69: shows [Ah Jd] (a pair of Aces)
Stefanicov collected 2930 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2930 | Rake 0
Board [6s 5c Ac 4d 2h]
Seat 2: Stefanicov showed [6c 6d] and won (2930) with three of a kind, Sixes
Seat 3: mischman folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: Sammyv1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Slingblade69 (button) showed [Ah Jd] and lost with a pair of Aces
Seat 6: gord962 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: t1riel (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: Amador Ed folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Biggest problem I see is that you min-re-raised PF from the button with AJo. If you're going re-raise with this hand from the button, then you needed to raise more.

Bombjack

Bombjack

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJo is a pretty weak hand, especially compared to the average early position raising hand. A re-raise pre-flop is essentially a bluff.

There's really no point in raising on the flop. If he has an Ace, you're most likely out-kicked, and you're sticking money when behind. If he doesn't have an Ace, he'll probably fold. You only raise if you're sure he's on a draw, which isn't that likely on this board. Best play would be to call, and fold the turn if he bets again and you don't improve (i.e. hit a Jack), unless you have a read that this player is willing to fearlessly bluff a lot.

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise more, fold more.

Say it with me - "I will never ever EVER ever EVER minraise preflop from late position" AJ is a reasonable hand from the button, so either raise high (3 or 4 times the last bet/raise), or call. A minraise from LP is just asking to be called, and your hand isn't one where you're trying to build the pot.

and this one - "I will never re-raise with less than a nut hand." the first raise is a declaration of war on the bettor - you don't want to get in the middle of that war without the biggest guns on your side. I wouldn't even call the raise unless I had 2 pair, including the A.

The good news is you spotted both your mistakes before any of us responded, so you obviously know where you went wrong. Keep on trucking!

S

Slingblade

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Thanks for the input, good advice I do recognized my pre-flop raise was suspect at best(lets say horrible), it revealed a lot.{REPEATING TO SELF NO LOW RAISE LATE} I should have just called there. Even then with me calling pre-flop he most likely he would have just check his trips to me after he saw the flop, banking on me hitting the Ace, which I did and obviously I would have made a good sized bet with my Aces and a decent kick, he in turn would push(not wanting me to hit trips) and then, maybe just maybe, I could get away thinking hes got me out kicked, either way I'm out a lot but still have enough to stay competitive.

Thanks all

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJ is a pretty terrible hand to re-raise an EP raise with. Cold call this, bet out the flop and when you are raised, realize either your kicker is bad; or you are up against a monster.

My first thought before seeing the showdown was that he had AK/AQ at least

D

Dingodaddy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WOW, preflop is terrible. if you're gonna re-raise make it like pot sized. and u prolly sholdnt be repopping AJ ever. as played the hand is butchered so bad that after your 2nd flop raise you're committed and you're not beating anything.

zebranky

zebranky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
min raise

Also, note your opponent's check on the flop, followed by min-raising your bet. A check-raise should be a good sign for you of a hand that is AK, two pair or more. As I said before, a min-raise screams "call me (or raise me" - and you raised him, just as he wanted.
Assuming your opponent has some ability to play, HIS min-raise should be setting off sirens in your head that he is slow-laying a monster.