QQ Out of Position; Early Stages of SNG

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2nd hand of an SNG. Blinds are at 10/20 and you are UTG + 1 with QQ. UTG folds.

Do you raise? How much? You certainly want to drive out some hands, but at the same time you dont want to risk too much early on.

Would calling here and hoping to see a cheap flop be wise?

In this particular hand, i went ahead and raised it 3x the BB. I got a lot of callers and had to fold to bet with an A showing on the flop.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you raise? How much? You certainly want to drive out some hands, but at the same time you dont want to risk too much early on.

Yes, you have to raise. The earlier you are in a SnG, the more likely people are to call a standard bet, so I tend to raise it up a little more. This also depends on the stakes - I mean at a $1 SnG I might just push and expect to see like AJ call among other trash, and at a $16 I'm just raising to 4BBs here.

Nope. Don't get weak-tight just because you ran into an unfavorable flop. It's QQ - the third best hand. Raise it.

In this particular hand, i went ahead and raised it 3x the BB. I got a lot of callers and had to fold to bet with an A showing on the flop.

Raise a little more, but that sounds pretty standard to me.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would raise a litle more than 3X the big blind only because you're in early position and the blinds are low. A lot of players will easily call 60 but might have tot hink about it if they have to call 100.

M

mikeormel

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree 100% with t1riel. you raise 5 times and get no action so what. You raise 5 times and someone goes over the top all in, your screwed. Personally I wouldn't call an over the top all in with Queens but wouldnt be a bad call. Queens are good but to many people would suck out a flush in a $1 sit n go

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree 100% with t1riel. you raise 5 times and get no action so what. You raise 5 times and someone goes over the top all in, your screwed. Personally I wouldn't call an over the top all in with Queens but wouldnt be a bad call. Queens are good but to many people would suck out a flush in a $1 sit n go

so you wouldnt call a all in because you are afraid someone would suck out on a flush preflop? :confused:

INTERESTING

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fulltiltpoker Game #3189703853: $5 + $0.50 Tournament (23848883), Table 11 - 60/120 - No Limit Hold'em - 10:16:35 ET - 2007/08/08
Seat 1: badfish313 (2,205)
Seat 2: dcoward (3,495)
Seat 3: mooskoffer (8,520)
Seat 4: NoJokePoker (2,880)
Seat 5: Effexor (3,470)
Seat 6: gomez300 (2,840)
Seat 7: odysseyfive (1,800)
Seat 8: ronjo5 (2,200)
Seat 9: onarush (3,980)
NoJokePoker posts the small blind of 60
Effexor posts the big blind of 120
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Effexor [Qd Qh]
gomez300 folds
odysseyfive folds
ronjo5 raises to 240
onarush folds
badfish313 folds
dcoward calls 240
mooskoffer folds
NoJokePoker has 15 seconds left to act
NoJokePoker folds
Effexor raises to 720

(I want to isolate but still hopefully get action)

ronjo5 calls 480
dcoward folds
*** FLOP *** [9s 8c Ks]
Effexor has 15 seconds left to act
Effexor bets 1,800

(I'm gambling he doesn't have a King, or won't be willing to go bust)

ronjo5 calls 1,480, and is all in
Effexor shows [Qd Qh]
ronjo5 shows [Ad 9d]
Uncalled bet of 320 returned to Effexor
*** TURN *** [9s 8c Ks] [3d]
*** RIVER *** [9s 8c Ks 3d] [6s]
Effexor shows a pair of Queens
ronjo5 shows a pair of Nines
Effexor wins the pot (4,700) with a pair of Queens
ronjo5 stands up
The blinds are now 80/160
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 4,700 | Rake 0
Board: [9s 8c Ks 3d 6s]
Seat 1: badfish313 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: dcoward folded before the Flop
Seat 3: mooskoffer (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: NoJokePoker (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 5: Effexor (big blind) showed [Qd Qh] and won (4,700) with a pair of Queens
Seat 6: gomez300 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: odysseyfive didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: ronjo5 showed [Ad 9d] and lost with a pair of Nines
Seat 9: onarush didn't bet (folded)

Still surprises me what people call with. You could make a case for check / calling or folding on the flop, but lately I've been trying to push small edges and take more risks to get a bigger stack. Too many times I find myself getting blinded out around the bubble.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why do you shove that flop effexor?

B

broncos53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2nd hand of an SNG. Blinds are at 10/20 and you are UTG + 1 with QQ. UTG folds.

Here like chuck said if its a 1 dollar Sng i might push to catch a person with A10 1010 99 JJ ect.....if its something over 10 dollars i would probally raise about 5x BB and hope for only one caller...Then if you get more than one you would have to play the flop depending on reads and other information on the people in the hand

B

broncos53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And i have smae question why do you shove on flop effoxor he could have KK AK KQ KJ alot of different hands especially after a minimal raise!

I

i win sometimes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
limp in with QQ in early position, you dont want to fall in love with your hand pre flop than an A and a K come on the flop, and then what, you basically threw that money away, if you raise from early position and a K and an A come on the flop do you make a continuation bet, it would be hard, that why i limp in

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Believe me I am very capable of laying down big pairs, I wasn't in love with my hand. I pushed here for a couple of reasons:

The hand range that calls my PF raise will include hands like JJ, 1010 and mid to strong aces without a king. Even if he does have a king I have him covered enough that I'm still in ok shape if I lose. Also, this past week I've been experimenting with pushing small edges to try and build up chips.

To Broncos, it wasn't a minimal raise

B

broncos53

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Believe me I am very capable of laying down big pairs, I wasn't in love with my hand. I pushed here for a couple of reasons:

The hand range that calls my PF raise will include hands like JJ, 1010 and mid to strong aces without a king. Even if he does have a king I have him covered enough that I'm still in ok shape if I lose. Also, this past week I've been experimenting with pushing small edges to try and build up chips.

To Broncos, it wasn't a minimal raise

Ok sorry i looked at it wrong...i thought you raised to 240 wrong name....
:joyman: <<<me feeling stupid!!! Then i have no problem with your push after the flop i would probally put him on a lower pair the only hand i could think could beat you would be AA.... what were your reads on this guy before the hand sorry if it was already stated?

J

jeffred1111

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I can see AK, JJ and maybe TT going over the top to have you fold early, especially if someone cold-called your raise (your range includes AQ, AJs, and smaller pairs such as TT: this is a 1$ SNG after all). KK or AA will likely slowplay this or at least throw a small raise to suck you in. With QQ, especially early, I call a good 80% of the time unless I have a solid read. If I have some time invested in this (blinds 50/100 or 100/200), I fold without thinking twice about it: this is pretty much always AA or KK. With blinds bigger than this and with less players, I call 60/70% of the time unless I have a very big stack and I can afford to pick a better spot: pretty much all pairs will play this way and hope you have only overcards.