proper tournament play...

38special

38special

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the last two tournys i've played i've busted with the same hand in the same position in the same situation.

i have A4s in SB with 2 limpers. both times i had around 10x the bb and lookin hard to double up or pick up dead money in the pot. so with two limpers(MP and LP) plus the big blind i shoved both times only to get called both times by middle pocket pairs that i thought should've/would've been raised.

is this just some donkey play i pulled? i mean i see two limps and immediatly tell myself to pick up the dead change, it just so happend i had a4 i probly would have done it with any two except total trash. my red zone for tourny play is 10 bb's or less then im lookin to shove.

what do you do here?

38special

38special

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
apparently im just stubborn.
same thing again just i had i nice stack this time.
A10s sb two limpers i pump a 300 chip big blind to 1k (i have a 4k+ stack) and the ****ing CO calls. flop comes q108 two diamonds and i c-bet 1500 he shoves me all-in and i fold.

i always give the blinds more respect when they raise out preflop but apparently im the only one.

38special

38special

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe my ace rag play needs work.

anyway, final two tables in bodog's 10k gtg i have 14k stack 3k big blind and get dealt a whopper of a hand A6. i shove, get called by Ak then go to bed. me and my brother always have this arguement, he swears up and ****ing down that you should muck here cause your most likely gonna get called and never ever have another hand dominated and at best be 60/40 against kq or the like, but i just assume that my masterful suck out skills will come through for me.

anyone got any thoughts on these series of unfortunate ace rag plays?

K

kronik22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a lot of people slow play hands online to try and get the donks 2 play a little.i am 1 of them, so sometimes just calling is my way of getting ur chips.u need 2 study ur opponents as best u can

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a lot of people slow play hands online to try and get the donks 2 play a little.i am 1 of them, so sometimes just calling is my way of getting ur chips.u need 2 study ur opponents as best u can
It's YOUR and YOU. Would it kill you to type 2 extra letters?

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
anyway, final two tables in bodog's 10k gtg i have 14k stack 3k big blind and get dealt a whopper of a hand A6. i shove, get called by Ak then go to bed.
I'd be happy to make this play. M of 3 is desperate, you should be looking to steal the blinds at least once a round regardless of the cards you are dealt. Sometimes you get called by better, sometimes they'll fold, sometimes you get called by worse. In reality you probably lost the game earlier by letting yourself get so low stacked. I recently survived 2 hours in the later stages of an MTT by repeatedly stealing the blinds without a single playable hand, so it can be done.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

2 is a number. To is a preposition. Would it kill you to type one more character?

38special

38special

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks, i think i let the touny go when i dumped AQs on the button to an utg raise. we were already ITM but if i called id have to play my stack so i was only going to shove it. i thought i could find a better spot but turns out i never got a better hand than that for the rest of the tourny but i did manage to move up a couple pay levels so whatever.

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just gotta give limpers more credit. Just because they limped doesn't mean they will always fold if you shove. Many players will limp with hands as strong as 99, 88, AQ os or AJ os. But still, ace rag suited is a good hand when you are very shortstacked.